September 01, 2014, 08:52:34 PM

Author Topic: Introducing the MōVI Stabilizer  (Read 9949 times)

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Introducing the MōVI Stabilizer
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2013, 02:13:51 PM »
Once again a company demonstrates some intelligence by designing and producing a new, useful, innovative product. Then unfortunately demonstrates a degree of 'insanity' by pricing the product at a completely ridiculous price point.

Yes, research has to be completed, prototypes made and tested, final machine moulds made. Despite these costs this product is considerably higher in cost than it should be.

I have a friend who works in metal fabrication and he regulalry laughs at DSLR rigs in excess of $1,000 which i'm told have $30 of components, and thats for a US made product. Go to China and the price drops considerably.

When I saw the price of this I didn't even bother to investigate it further.

One for those with big budgets sadly...

Yeah but it is IS more than just fabricating it. You probably have a handful of people with good degrees working on it and then you have marketing expenses, etc., probably have low volume of sales and if they are going to each live on like 20k a year they wouldn't bother with stuff like this and they'd be doing some other sort of business. I don't know exactly what the price should be, maybe it is a bit high, but it isn't reasonable to expect it to go for price of parts! Certainly not even close for some years. And the tooling on this sounds more expensive than normal.

Not that some things are not simply over-priced even to start. And man look at audio cable beyond lowest end, it's selling $1 a foot cable for $1000 a foot and even worse it's pure snake oil in that case on top (or a few cents per foot cable for $40 a foot like with some of the Monster stuff). And then OTOH you have Monoprice or Home Depot selling few cents per foot cable for few cents per foot and it's almost always all you ever need no matter how fancy the equipment. Or look at the crazy prices of Canon lens hoods!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 02:19:25 PM by LetTheRightLensIn »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2013, 02:13:51 PM »

c.d.embrey

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2013, 03:06:40 PM »
Oh Wow, another gimmick for the talantless, aka a Magic Bullet.

Using this device will require two well trained people. Does the low-budget film-maker have the money to hire these operators ??? Or the time for yourself and a friend to become proficient ???

The_Arsonist

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Casey Roberts Photography
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2013, 02:05:48 PM »
I feel like most of the comments on this are made without realizing the degree of precision and actual mechanical workings of this device. It is not just a mechanical stabilizing rig like a Steadicam is, this is a smart, microchip/software controlled motorized rig. For everyone scoffing at the cost, consider these points
  • It is made of carbon fiber to keep weight down (it is the same rig they use to fly cameras from their radio controlled hexacopters)
  • There are several motorized gimbals that are controlled by the computer to keep operator motion from translating to camera motion
  • There are motors that are controlled via radio/joysticks that allow camera pan, tilt, and focus
  • It is built to handle cameras that normally are mounted on tripod heads that cost as much or more than this whole rig. Check out the Sachtler Video 25 Plus head if you don't believe that.

Then consider all the things this can do for a filmmaker that needs to work on a budget and on a time crunch. This can replace a dolly in many cases; that means no transporting and setting up dolly tracks or slider systems. It can replace the traditional head controls on cranes and jibs, and can even make replace a jib in some instances; think walking up a ladder or stairs. It can replace a Steadicam, which many people couldn't afford to even dream of including in their movies. On top of all that, it can create shots that would be completely impractical to impossible with traditional support systems. Plus, there is always the option of adding the hexacopter to this system to get aerial shots.

That being said, I'm sure the cost will come down some as more manufacturers get into this market, but people saying it should cost under a thousand bucks are completely off base. How much does adding IS to a 70-200 cost?
Fuji X100s
50D with Katzeye-------FL 55 1.2 (EdMika)--------Sigma 70-200 2.8 OS-------Rokinon 8mm Fisheye

mulder

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2013, 11:05:16 AM »
i do aerial filming and we recently already got this thechnology for gopro sized cameras, check this ultimate test: https://vimeo.com/60977570#at=0

a version for DSLRs is already being developed and should be out soon. The controller and IMU is developed by Alex Mos: http://www.simplebgc.com/ and costs no more than 110Euros, e.g. at http://flyduino.net/Alex-Mos-Brushless-Gimbal-BLG

I expect that the DSLR gimbal will not be more than $1500  8)

here is another one where two different controllers are tested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8iwlrilpHQ - seems that these things are not that complicated, just someone had to have the idea ;)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 11:15:02 AM by mulder »

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2013, 06:55:33 PM »
i do aerial filming and we recently already got this thechnology for gopro sized cameras, check this ultimate test: https://vimeo.com/60977570#at=0

a version for DSLRs is already being developed and should be out soon. The controller and IMU is developed by Alex Mos: http://www.simplebgc.com/ and costs no more than 110Euros, e.g. at http://flyduino.net/Alex-Mos-Brushless-Gimbal-BLG

I expect that the DSLR gimbal will not be more than $1500  8)

here is another one where two different controllers are tested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8iwlrilpHQ - seems that these things are not that complicated, just someone had to have the idea ;)

Looks pretty good...but will these other options A) hold up to 15 pounds with the same stability, and B) also allow for remote operator to pan/tilt with a well integrated system?

Home-built or low cost tools are great, and definitely should be encouraged and often turn out great work, but I hesitate to say they are usable for the majority of film makers, especially not for ones with any serious amount of budget. They will be attracted, in general, to very well made, very well supported, and known and trusted tools. The Movi meets the first one, so far seems like it will meet the second, and with Vincent Laforet endorsing it, it has a very great start on the last point.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

mulder

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2013, 05:02:48 AM »

Looks pretty good...but will these other options A) hold up to 15 pounds with the same stability, and B) also allow for remote operator to pan/tilt with a well integrated system?

Home-built or low cost tools are great, and definitely should be encouraged and often turn out great work, but I hesitate to say they are usable for the majority of film makers, especially not for ones with any serious amount of budget. They will be attracted, in general, to very well made, very well supported, and known and trusted tools. The Movi meets the first one, so far seems like it will meet the second, and with Vincent Laforet endorsing it, it has a very great start on the last point.

agree, DIY solutions lack the level of support I would expect from a solution that costs 15k. but its certainly worth a look for indie film makers on a tight budget because you can get the same results for a fraction of the costs. I wouldn't be suprised if this gimbal was actually inspired by the recent developments by DIY projects such as the one from Alex Mos.

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2013, 06:48:51 PM »

agree, DIY solutions lack the level of support I would expect from a solution that costs 15k. but its certainly worth a look for indie film makers on a tight budget because you can get the same results for a fraction of the costs. I wouldn't be suprised if this gimbal was actually inspired by the recent developments by DIY projects such as the one from Alex Mos.

Could be, or maybe the DIY was inspired by commercial designs which include the hover copter that those guys have. But I agree, it's something that an indie film maker on a very limited budget might try, and probably would still get good results even if it's not as refined and doesn't quite have all of the same capabilities or as refined as Movi.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2013, 06:48:51 PM »

fredericsiffert

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • fredericsiffert.com
Stabilization Mövi
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2013, 01:44:02 PM »

canon rumors FORUM

Stabilization Mövi