December 19, 2014, 06:05:06 AM

Author Topic: Is the SL1 sensor an improvement?  (Read 6008 times)

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
Re: Is the SL1 sensor an improvement?
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2013, 11:58:08 PM »
That was an ISO 100 shot.

Well, I guess one of two things then. Either the shot was not DR limited and the shadows were not deep enough to exhibit the classic Canon banding problems (which seems to be the more plausible), or Canon has definitely done something with that sensor to reduce banding noise. The lower-end Canon DSLRs usually have less anyway, as the ADC runs at a lower frequency...but there is usually some.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2013, 11:58:08 PM »

Lee Jay

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2013, 12:00:00 PM »
That was an ISO 100 shot.

Well, I guess one of two things then. Either the shot was not DR limited and the shadows were not deep enough to exhibit the classic Canon banding problems (which seems to be the more plausible), or Canon has definitely done something with that sensor to reduce banding noise. The lower-end Canon DSLRs usually have less anyway, as the ADC runs at a lower frequency...but there is usually some.

Yes...it's going to take raw data to tell for sure, but it looks promising so far.

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2013, 12:48:43 PM »
As far as IQ, at low ISO's you are almost certainly not going to notice any difference.

Not true.

"DPReview published some JPEGs from a pre-release camera.  Still, I can't do this with my T2i.  Here I've pushed blacks that were in the neighborhood of 8 counts up to the neighborhood of 140 counts.  I see no sign of banding and very little noise.

What do you think?  Better noise processing?  Black point clipping?  Or a genuine reduction of read noise?  Raw images will settle this, but I haven't seen any yet."
It is true, he asked how it would compare to his T2i, not a D800.  A D800 or Nikon was not mentioned by the OP!Its not going to be much different from his T2i.

I appreciate the input of many on this forum... but what I think Mt Spokane and Neuro have missed in this, is that Lee Jay IS the OP.  I am following Lee Jay's line of thinking here....

At the end of the day I hope there is improvement at both Low ISO and High ISO ... ie less noise, low banding, etc.

Paul

The point is that he asked if the upcoming SL-1 was going to be better than his T2i. 
Then when answerwed that it probably would not be, he said "not true".  And started in about the D600 which was not mentioned in the first place.

He needs to ask the question he wants answered.

Lee Jay

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2013, 07:31:00 PM »
The point is that he asked if the upcoming SL-1 was going to be better than his T2i. 

I asked no such question at all.

I asked the rhetorical question of if the posted push of an SL1 JPEG was, "Better noise processing?  Black point clipping?  Or a genuine reduction of read noise?"  It's rhetorical because no one can answer that conclusively until we get some raw data from this camera.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 07:33:02 PM by Lee Jay »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2013, 07:36:41 PM »

I asked the rhetorical question ... It's rhetorical because no one can answer that conclusively until we get some raw data from this camera.

So...it was a completely pointless thread.  Well, gee, now I know to ignore your posts henceforth.  Lesson learned.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Lee Jay

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2013, 08:17:57 PM »

I asked the rhetorical question ... It's rhetorical because no one can answer that conclusively until we get some raw data from this camera.

So...it was a completely pointless thread.  Well, gee, now I know to ignore your posts henceforth.  Lesson learned.

The point was, I was able to push an SL1 JPEG harder and with better results than I've been able to push JPEGs from other Canon cameras.  This very site has suggested that we keep an eye on the performance of the SL1 sensor due to the claim that it's actually a new sensor rather than yet another rehash of the ever-present Canon 18MP 1.6-crop sensor.  I posted an early sample of that.  If you find that pointless, then fine, I suggest you move on or provide some of your own test results from this sensor.

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2013, 08:26:35 PM »
More often than not "questions" posed on a discussion forum are meant to prompt discussion. I believe that means bringing both opinion and relevant facts to the table.

If I thought every question was being asked of me personally because only a few people in the world have my breadth of knowledge and experience, I'd find my participation often unsatisfying.

For me, this thread seems to be suggesting that Canon may be making improvements in certain sensor deficiencies, and I'm interested in knowing if that may be true. As the OP clearly said, only RAWs will settle the issue.
You're offended? Oh, really! Life IS offense -- get used to it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2013, 08:26:35 PM »