November 25, 2017, 06:39:07 AM

Author Topic: How tightly do you frame your shots & and do you crop?  (Read 39541 times)

Eldar

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • Flickr
Re: How tightly do you frame your shots & and do you crop?
« Reply #105 on: October 11, 2013, 02:24:10 PM »
I am waiting for the next megapixle body, to get maximum resolution. Where´s the logic in throwing it all away in cropping? So, despite all good arguments for birds, sports and wildlife (where I also crop a lot), I stand firm; you should think your composition through before you press the shutter release.

I am now half way through an excellent Provence rosé. Recommendable! Have a great weekend ;)
More equipment than skills, but everything is used :)
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/eldarhauge/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/eldarhaugephotography

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #105 on: October 11, 2013, 02:24:10 PM »

TexPhoto

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #106 on: October 11, 2013, 06:05:26 PM »
Cropping is like shooting in jpeg.  If your photos were good nobody would care.  :o

Here's the thing, 1. Get it right in camera  2.  Get it better in post. 3. It's the photo that matters, not your T-shirt.

Anyway I'll be starting an I don't crop line of T-shirts and accessories.   

Zv

• EOS-1D X Mark II
    • Zeeography (flickr)
« Reply #107 on: October 11, 2013, 09:16:29 PM »
I am waiting for the next megapixle body, to get maximum resolution. Where´s the logic in throwing it all away in cropping? So, despite all good arguments for birds, sports and wildlife (where I also crop a lot), I stand firm; you should think your composition through before you press the shutter release.

I am now half way through an excellent Provence rosé. Recommendable! Have a great weekend ;)

Max resolution would only really come into play when printing. For those of us who only publish to the web even 3MP image is enough. Most screens can't display the extra res. Why not crop a little? Give yourself a little working space to rotate and remove distractions or even get creative with aspect ratios? You can't do 16:9 in camera.
Move along nothing to see here!

Chuck Alaimo

• EOS 5DS R
    • Chuck Alaimo Photography
« Reply #108 on: October 11, 2013, 09:33:38 PM »
what i don't get about this is this ----how does this so called pro not crop, ever?  Ok, lets talk not only about the framing you desire, but, what any potential client may want.  If i shoot something wide, I want it wide, and i get this a lot ---clients who want prints but in 8x10,  11x14, or 16x20 - I always advise that 8x12, 12x18, or 16x24 is the native size of the image, it was how it was composed and it won't look right.  More times than not this message is ignored because they are buying frames from the average box store and what do they have mostly in stock?  8x10 format. 

I had one client that I shot their engagement shoot, they wanted prints, I told them about the crop factor, showed them crops vs natural size...they wanted the crops (they liked the 8x12 better, but already had 8x10 frames).  then i shot their wedding and what do they include in the order - 8x10's.  One was on a group shot.  It was framed tight (not like arms falling off tight, like 1/3 of an inch from the border.  But, if you lop an inch of each side, there goes the people on the right and the left too.  she wisely revised and got the 8x12 of that one.

So, what's right an d whats wrong?  In that photog's eye's I should just not satisfy customers because cropping isn't 'pro?'   uggg....
Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

Zv

• EOS-1D X Mark II
    • Zeeography (flickr)
« Reply #109 on: October 12, 2013, 12:08:59 AM »
what i don't get about this is this ----how does this so called pro not crop, ever?  Ok, lets talk not only about the framing you desire, but, what any potential client may want.  If i shoot something wide, I want it wide, and i get this a lot ---clients who want prints but in 8x10,  11x14, or 16x20 - I always advise that 8x12, 12x18, or 16x24 is the native size of the image, it was how it was composed and it won't look right.  More times than not this message is ignored because they are buying frames from the average box store and what do they have mostly in stock?  8x10 format. 

I had one client that I shot their engagement shoot, they wanted prints, I told them about the crop factor, showed them crops vs natural size...they wanted the crops (they liked the 8x12 better, but already had 8x10 frames).  then i shot their wedding and what do they include in the order - 8x10's.  One was on a group shot.  It was framed tight (not like arms falling off tight, like 1/3 of an inch from the border.  But, if you lop an inch of each side, there goes the people on the right and the left too.  she wisely revised and got the 8x12 of that one.

So, what's right an d whats wrong?  In that photog's eye's I should just not satisfy customers because cropping isn't 'pro?'   uggg....

Exactly. Clients rarely have a clue what they want. I shot a group portrait the other day and I showed them a few different crops. They liked the tightly cropped one. All done with just one image. In camara it would have meant switching lens back and forth. When you're on a tight sched that aint an option. Cropping a 21MP in post is.
Move along nothing to see here!

Rienzphotoz

• Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
« Reply #110 on: October 12, 2013, 08:19:55 AM »
The first time I ever travelled from London Euston to Glasgow Central was in a Virgin Pendolino train in 2010, and it was a very beautiful and scenic route (at least for me) ... I wanted to capture the beauty of the landscape I was looking at through the train window, while the train was speeding at around 125 MPH, but there were trees, electric poles, wires, shrubs etc getting in the way of taking a nice photo, the way I saw the beautiful landscape, so I had very little time between 2 trees or poles to make an image ... so I tried to capture images with my Canon 7D + EF 24-105 f/4 L IS lens and whatever little skill I had ... but when I downloaded the images on to my computer they were disappointing, they did not look anywhere close to what I remembered the landscape to be ... so I cropped and edited the image (as you can see below). If any of the (so called) "professional/purist" photographers tells me that I "should not crop" an image, I'll tell'm to go 5crew themselves ... I will crop my images the way I think are pleasing to me. I know the images I posted here are not great in comparison to any of you talented folk can make but I think these images give an idea of what can be done with an ordinary/bad image if it is cropped and edited. The most awesome part of it is that I don't have to do this for every single image separately, I just select all my images and click Sync and lightroom applies all my changes to all of them ... how convenient is that ... one has to be absolutely stupid (or a genius of epic talent) not to use the awesome power PP gives us, if they are throwing away images because they don't want to crop.  Peace.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 08:35:27 AM by Rienzphotoz »
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

takesome1

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #111 on: October 12, 2013, 11:25:47 AM »
You can crop your pictures till they are pixelated, PP till your pictures look like they were colored with crayons. It doesn't mean you have great photography skills.

Photography and editing skills are not the same. For a great picture get it right at the camera first, the less you have to correct in PP the less it will look fake.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #111 on: October 12, 2013, 11:25:47 AM »

Rienzphotoz

• Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
« Reply #112 on: October 12, 2013, 02:16:28 PM »
You can crop your pictures till they are pixelated, PP till your pictures look like they were colored with crayons. It doesn't mean you have great photography skills.

Photography and editing skills are not the same. For a great picture get it right at the camera first, the less you have to correct in PP the less it will look fake.
Don't need to have "great" photography skills, just need to know the difference between stupidity (e.g "crop pictures till they are pixelated") and common sense (e.g knowing when to crop). Photography and editing skills require the same basic principals of seeing light, checking composition and much of what goes on with photography.
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

Botts

• EOS M5
« Reply #113 on: October 12, 2013, 02:37:29 PM »
For a great picture get it right at the camera first, the less you have to correct in PP the less it will look fake.

This works great if you know your destination, sometimes you don't though.  If I'm shooting images for a fun photo book, I don't know if my photo will be cropped to 4:3, 4:5, 16:9 or some other aspect ratio. 

Framing for a perfect 4:3 composition would really limit which photos I could use where.

Similarly, if I'm shooting an event, I'll usually make a slideshow 16:9 if it's full images, or any aspect ratio if it's more like a collage.  Also, I'll probably wind up printing some of the images as large 4:3s.  I like having some space to work with.
6D, Sigma 35/1.4, 40STM, 50/1.4, 70-200/4 IS, 430ex II
T2i, 17-55/2.8 IS, 270ex

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #113 on: October 12, 2013, 02:37:29 PM »