July 26, 2014, 12:07:30 AM

Author Topic: 1dx plus 85 1.2 is great for night street photography.  (Read 17260 times)

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: 1dx plus 85 1.2 is great for night street photography.
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2013, 02:53:25 AM »
sanj it was totally in jest, hence the sarcasm.  One would expect you to be able to take great images, regardless of the situation with, in my opinion, the near pinnacle of canon gear.  Personally I hate the idea that a lens, or camera for that matter, it meant for only a specific purpose.  Some are known to say certain lenses are landscape lenses, portrait lenses, others are street lenses, etc, it's just silly in my mind.  FWIW the little late night shooting I do is almost exclusively with the little brother of your pair, a 5diii and 85 1.8.  I believe the saying goes "the best camera is the one you have with you."

Agree with everything. I am sure 5d3 or 1dx will work almost equally in this situation for most eyes.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2013, 02:53:25 AM »

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2013, 02:54:58 AM »
great capture... but some countries, you would not want to take that kinda combo down on the street at night...

I understand your concern but I have visited over 30 countries but cant think of one where I would not go with this combo unless I was trying to find trouble. :)

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2013, 02:56:03 AM »
I like the pic, is it in Bangkok? The guy with the smoke seems to carry a fair bit of attitude.

It is Nana Plaza on Sukhumvit Soi 4. I will let you google the rest! ;-)

Sanj, nice shot. Just be careful not to get carried away and leave your nice camera unattended while you are distracted elsewhere!! And do not leave it out if you have a "friend" visit your hotel!! That's what the safe is for! But I do not think I need to tell you that.
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2013, 02:56:07 AM »
you would be surprised many great photos are taken by the Rebels and m4/3. With good technique, framing, story-telling and skills, people can produce greater photographs that rival the IQ of 1dx + 85 1.2.

You do realize that IQ does not mean quality regarding to technique, framing, story-telling and skills, but IMAGE quality, regarding noise, sharpness and so on? In that point it is absolutely ridiculous to compare these combinations.

You both make very valid points. Smile.

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2013, 02:59:29 AM »
I like the pic, is it in Bangkok? The guy with the smoke seems to carry a fair bit of attitude.

Sanj, nice shot. Just be careful not to get carried away and leave your nice camera unattended while you are distracted elsewhere!! And do not leave it out if you have a "friend" visit your hotel!! That's what the safe is for! But I do not think I need to tell you that.

Yes it is Nana. And yes I guard my equipment very carefully. It does not come off my neck under any circumstance. :) THANK YOU BUDDY.

learncanon

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2013, 03:01:05 AM »
you would be surprised many great photos are taken by the Rebels and m4/3. With good technique, framing, story-telling and skills, people can produce greater photographs that rival the IQ of 1dx + 85 1.2.

You do realize that IQ does not mean quality regarding to technique, framing, story-telling and skills, but IMAGE quality, regarding noise, sharpness and so on? In that point it is absolutely ridiculous to compare these combinations.

of course I know the difference.

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2013, 03:01:16 AM »
my 6D + 50 1.8 can do great street photography at night too and many folds cheaper than your 1dx + 85 1.2.

talking about IQ/price ratio, my combo is greater than yours. ;)

:) We not comparing gears.. :) And I am SURE your combo is super.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2013, 03:01:16 AM »

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2013, 03:03:14 AM »
Literally, the first thing that came to my mind when I read the title of this thread was:

Seriously, I highly doubt anyone can not tell that a body that can handle high Iso that perfect, and a 85mm 1.2 lens are probably the best base for shots in such circumstances.

my 6D + 50 1.8 can do great street photography at night too and many folds cheaper than your 1dx + 85 1.2.

talking about IQ/price ratio, my combo is greater than yours. ;)

You compare a 50 1.8 to a 85 1.2? Heck, even a 6D to a 1DX? That is almost more trolling than the original post here.

Why on earth do you think I am trolling? Funny! Check all sites about street photography and no one mentions this combo.

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2013, 03:06:20 AM »
Great shot! Reminds me of this Japanese photographer (his name escapes me at the moment) which had this huge project portraying the prostitution scene with candid street shots.

I wish I had the same combo you do! :)

Thank you for the compliment. Yes I am lucky to have this.

tpatana

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2013, 03:12:13 AM »

Yes it is Nana. And yes I guard my equipment very carefully. It does not come off my neck under any circumstance.

Any?

He didn't mind the camera?

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2013, 03:15:33 AM »

Yes it is Nana. And yes I guard my equipment very carefully. It does not come off my neck under any circumstance.

Any?

Hahahahahahaha. Am not into him at all. LOL.

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2013, 03:36:58 AM »
What other shots of Nana did you take?!  8)

I love the 1D X, that and pretty much any quality lens are going to produce great results.

It is wise to avoid getting any customers in the shots, which may be your biggest concern at a place like Nana, where alcohol fuelled bravado could cause problems from some of the guys there. Especially those who are playing away from home! It is not the sort of place you really want someone to get a camera out, even if it is only a point and shoot!

;-)

tpatana

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2013, 03:40:34 AM »

Any?

Hahahahahahaha. Am not into him at all. LOL.

That's what they all say.

"Is that 500mm prime, or are you just happy to see me?"

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2013, 03:40:34 AM »

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2013, 03:42:56 AM »
That's what they all say.

"Is that 500mm prime, or are you just happy to see me?"

Hahaha, I see you know her personally then?!!  :o

Having said that I believe she is packing a zoom, not a prime.  :o

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2013, 04:41:35 AM »
ISO 3200. 1.2
Sanj, it seems that you had a big night out...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2013, 04:41:35 AM »