Rumors > Lenses

EF 300mm f/2.8 ( non IS ) AF ISSUES

(1/4) > >>

rodrigo_luiz78:
I have a 14YO  EF 300mm f/2.8 ( non IS ).
Its perfect, and it was working perfectly until last week.
Today Itook it to make some shots, and it dindt work.
The AF keep hunting, and never focus, some times it does, but not properly.
I tried everything.
I try on EOS 10D, 40D 1D MK II N , 1D MK III.
It dindt work, always the same problem, keep focusing, and never achive the focus.
Does anyone know what could it be ?

East Wind Photography:
A fine lens it is.  Check the gold contacts on the back.  Sometimes cleaning GENTLY with a qtip and alcohol will help.  Other than that you should call Canon and see if they will check it out for you.  It's worth it to get it fixed even though 14yo.  I bet it's the contacts though.  They don't last forever.

I've also see this happen with dirty battery contacts since on some cameras the AF motor gets its power directly from the battery.  However since you have tried it on several bodies, I would say it's likely the contacts.  But it could be something internal that needs to be repaired.

brad-man:

--- Quote from: East Wind Photography on April 27, 2013, 04:21:35 PM ---A fine lens it is.  Check the gold contacts on the back.  Sometimes cleaning GENTLY with a qtip and alcohol will help.  Other than that you should call Canon and see if they will check it out for you.  It's worth it to get it fixed even though 14yo.  I bet it's the contacts though.  They don't last forever.

I've also see this happen with dirty battery contacts since on some cameras the AF motor gets its power directly from the battery.  However since you have tried it on several bodies, I would say it's likely the contacts.  But it could be something internal that needs to be repaired.

--- End quote ---

+1    A pencil eraser also works...

East Wind Photography:
No you don't want to use a pencil eraser.  The eraser can leave a residue behind as we'll as get debris possible in the lens.  They are also too abrasive for gold contacts, possible wearing the gold surface down even more.

--- Quote from: brad-man on April 27, 2013, 05:01:21 PM ---
--- Quote from: East Wind Photography on April 27, 2013, 04:21:35 PM ---A fine lens it is.  Check the gold contacts on the back.  Sometimes cleaning GENTLY with a qtip and alcohol will help.  Other than that you should call Canon and see if they will check it out for you.  It's worth it to get it fixed even though 14yo.  I bet it's the contacts though.  They don't last forever.

--- End quote ---

+1    A pencil eraser also works...

--- End quote ---

rodrigo_luiz78:
Thanks to everybody.
I already cleaned the contacts, changed the distance, everything you guys can immagine.
Now I will have to take it to Canon ( São Paulo )  and hope, pray what ever I need they fix it.
Once again thanks and sorry for the english, I am not english speaker.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version