April 19, 2014, 01:38:10 PM

Author Topic: Adobe to Stop Making Packaged Software  (Read 41727 times)

LetTheRightLensIn

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: Adobe to Stop Making Packaged Software
« Reply #195 on: May 08, 2013, 02:00:39 PM »
In future there may well be times when new features appear in the CC-bundled version of Lr which aren't yet in the perpetual version, because Cloud subscribers get new features quicker (as SOX doesn't apply).

So how is that you say you can't continue CC and perpetual versions of programs because the code maintenance is too tricky but now you are actually splitting LR into CC and perpetual?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #195 on: May 08, 2013, 02:00:39 PM »

dswatson83

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
The biggest problem with Adobe Creative Cloud
« Reply #196 on: May 08, 2013, 02:03:59 PM »
There are many things to be liked about Adobe creative cloud. But one thing I hate is that there is no exit at all. If for some reason you decide you can't justify $50/month or if Adobe raises prices later, once you stop paying adobe, you can't even open your files it seems! The is freaking horrible if true. There is a more detailed analysis at http://learningcameras.com/tips/5-all/142-adobe-creative-cloud-the-future-is-now-the-present
We will see if Adobe responds but right it doesn't look good. Although now that they have basically canceled the stand alone seats, what choice do we have. We are all going to be moving to the cloud out of lack of options but Adobe will likely see the influx as positive reinforcement and will change nothing. Adobe needs to come out with a free reader program like the article says or else I don't know how I can keep using it.

vtechproductions

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
Re: The biggest problem with Adobe Creative Cloud
« Reply #197 on: May 08, 2013, 02:05:59 PM »
Yeah, I can't stand what Adobe is doing here. They better figure an alternative or there is no way I'm updating. Anyone know any good alternatives to premiere or Photoshop? I don't use Apple computers so their software will not work for me. Lightroom is still available on it's own...at least for now

Mt Spokane Photography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 08, 2013, 02:44:01 PM »
You can always save edits in a tiff or DNG format for stills, but you may lose the ability to re-edit later.  I don't save files as PSD very often, so my edited files become tiff files which can be read anywhere.

They are not moving Lightroom to the cc, so for now, my lightroom edits are safe.  I have not been saving them all to jpeg, and probably won't.  If I need a old image, I can always re-edit the cr2 file 10 years from now using whatever software I have.

Video will be the same issue, both the source and output files are safe.  Its a question of re-editing.

I think I'll avoid using DNG, since its obvious that Adobe might take it away whenever they think they can make money by holding images hostage.

7enderbender

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 08, 2013, 03:25:33 PM »
Alright then. This is the final straw with the morons that have already a bunch of other products that were really good before Adobe got their hands on them.

I'll keep using LR3 and CS5 until I make a switch to Apple products by the end of the year and then that's it for Adobe products. They can shove it. And please nobody tell me what an excellent deal I'm missing out on or how this "pays for itself" for a professional/semi-professional. It's too expensive and it's stupid. I don't want a new and "improved" version all the time anyway. I've yet to see a reason to "upgrade" to CS6 or LR4 let alone sign up for a subscription or cloud service. Screw this.

Let's hope this gives a boost to competitors.
5DII - 50L - 135L - 200 2.8L - 24-105 - 580EXII - 430EXII - FD 500/8 - AE1-p - bag full of FD lenses

7enderbender

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Re: Alternatives to Adobe Software
« Reply #200 on: May 08, 2013, 03:26:23 PM »
Good post. I will follow this thread closely.

+1
5DII - 50L - 135L - 200 2.8L - 24-105 - 580EXII - 430EXII - FD 500/8 - AE1-p - bag full of FD lenses

hsbn

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 08, 2013, 03:37:27 PM »
once you stop paying adobe, you can't even open your files it seems!
It's not that they lock your file or anything. Once you stop paying, your software will no longer work, just the software not the file. For example, if you work in PS and save your file as TIFF and cancel the subscription, you can use other program to open your TIFF file. So you can convert all your PSD files to TIFF before cancelling. That's why Adobe doesn't have to make any "READER" program. What's the point of making PSD reader when you can view it but cannot edit anything. Then may as well convert them to TIFF, save the trouble. Also TIFF can store layers too.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #201 on: May 08, 2013, 03:37:27 PM »

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 08, 2013, 03:52:32 PM »
For me, the biggest problem with this is the price.  I use only LR and PS, options are $50/month or $20/month for PS and buy LR as package software (roughly $80 every 12-18 months).  That is if they keep LR at $80 per upgrade.

I understand the reasons and can live with going to CC (though I hate the idea)  but would like (1) lower price for PS & LR combo - say $15/month and (2) since I already have licenses the right to stop updates for a defined period (say 12 months) but keep using the software.

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #203 on: May 08, 2013, 04:17:22 PM »
If you've read any of my posts over the past few days, you know how unhappy I am with this move. But, I don't really think it's fair to say there is no exit strategy.

Adobe says they will make CS6 available for download indefinitely. So, if you drop the system after a year, you can still use Photoshop CS6 to open and edit your files. Now, will CS6 be able to open files 5 or 6 years from now? That's another question. But, that has always been a problem with virtually every program that exists today. There are no universal standards and no guarantees that today's formats will be accessible tomorrow. If you've ever stored anything on a floppy disk, you know the problem.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

ksagomonyants

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 08, 2013, 04:38:56 PM »
I have CS5.5 Master Collection, so I don't plan to upgrade. However, for many people it may be a big problem that CC isn't available for every country (especially, if you're buying the individual license).

http://www.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/products/creativecloud/cc/pdfs/cc-availability-matrix.pdf

ksagomonyants

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 08, 2013, 05:00:02 PM »
Many companies start switching to subscription-based license instead of a perpetual license (MS Office, GraphPad Prism, SPSS, etc). For those who cannot pay >$1000 to buy a software, $20-30 may not be a bad alternative, especially during times when economy is so bad.

I'm sorry but I don't really get many of you guys. Lightroom stays as a standalone application. For some reasons, many amateurs think they have to have Photoshop (and it has to be the latest version, of course) to do their photo editing. Old version of Photoshop/Photoshop Elements/Lightroom may be more than enough for a lot of us. I personally have Master Collection CS5.5 which I got at a discount when I was a student and I'll use it until I upgrade to an unsupported camera or new OS.

RLPhoto

• 1D X
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #206 on: May 08, 2013, 05:11:00 PM »
Many companies start switching to subscription-based license instead of a perpetual license (MS Office, GraphPad Prism, SPSS, etc). For those who cannot pay >$1000 to buy a software, $20-30 may not be a bad alternative, especially during times when economy is so bad.

I'm sorry but I don't really get many of you guys. Lightroom stays as a standalone application. For some reasons, many amateurs think they have to have Photoshop (and it has to be the latest version, of course) to do their photo editing. Old version of Photoshop/Photoshop Elements/Lightroom may be more than enough for a lot of us. I personally have Master Collection CS5.5 which I got at a discount when I was a student and I'll use it until I upgrade to an unsupported camera or new OS.

It because your paying the same amount or more money to adobe and in return you don't own anything. Where you used to pay said money and your set with whatever version of CS you wanted.

In a way, it ties you to payments for years because even retired designers still need to open PSDs occasionally and they will now have to pay that fee just to do that, for years.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 05:12:51 PM by RLPhoto »
24LII - 50L - 135L
---------------------------------
www.RamonLperez.com

ksagomonyants

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 08, 2013, 05:49:07 PM »

It because your paying the same amount or more money to adobe and in return you don't own anything. Where you used to pay said money and your set with whatever version of CS you wanted.

In a way, it ties you to payments for years because even retired designers still need to open PSDs occasionally and they will now have to pay that fee just to do that, for years.

I totally agree with you, that's why I said I'm not planning to upgrade from CS5.5 But Adobe doesn't force you to upgrade and there're various alternatives to Photoshop too. Maybe they aren't as functional but for amateurs it's much more than enough. But for professionals, $30-50/month isn't that bad either, but I'm not a professional. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #207 on: May 08, 2013, 05:49:07 PM »

Canon 14-24

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 08, 2013, 06:30:13 PM »

I have to have the latest photoshop CS6 just to open my damn 5d3 raw files. That was the only reason I upgraded from CS4 and the only reason I upgraded to CS4 from CS2 was to open the damn raw files for the 5D2!

Zlatko

« Reply #209 on: May 08, 2013, 06:42:40 PM »
If you are just a photographer and not in multimedia which I find hard to believe, then a version of photoshop is £17 a month which I also see as good value, compared to spending the full outlay on PS Extended which is £649, then a new version will be out in 18 months with an upgrade path of 50% off so thats £900 for one programme. or £204 a year for PS CC.

TBH I feel most of the people who are complaining are not current subscribers to CS anyway and get it some how under the rug...

A price increase is a price increase, no matter how you spin it.  And for most photographers it is a hefty price increase. 

After the initial investment, Photoshop was $11.11/mo. if you bought *every* update ($200/18 mos.) or $5.55/mo. if you skipped a version and bought every other update. Now Adobe wants $19.99/mo., every month, for the rest of your working life.  For many photographers this nearly doubles, or more than triples, the long term cost.  How is that "a good value"?  ???

And yes I am talking about photographers who buy it legally.  Your "feeling" that most of the people who are complaining "get it some how under the rug" is just plain wrong.  Most people who are complaining recognize a big price increase when they see it.  You just have to do the math to see what's happening. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #209 on: May 08, 2013, 06:42:40 PM »