August 21, 2014, 04:30:56 PM

Author Topic: San Francisco Long Exposure Cityscapes!  (Read 9479 times)

serendipidy

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: San Francisco Long Exposure Cityscapes!
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2013, 04:44:31 PM »
Hey Paul....some good points, but the OP stated long exposure.

Neuro, I like your photo. I have taken some photos of it when I vacationed in SF. It's not always easy to get it right but I think you did a nice job.

from Wikipedia:Palace of Fine Arts

The Palace of Fine Arts in the Marina District of San Francisco, California, is a monumental structure originally constructed for the 1915 Panama-Pacific Exposition in order to exhibit works of art presented there. One of only a few surviving structures from the Exposition, it is the only one still situated on its original site. It was rebuilt in 1965, and renovation of the lagoon, walkways, and a seismic retrofit were completed in early 2009.

It remains a popular attraction for tourists and locals, and is a favorite location for weddings and wedding party photographs for couples throughout the San Francisco Bay Area, and such an icon that a miniature replica of it was built in Disney's California Adventure in Anaheim.[
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 03:27:27 PM by serendipidy »
EOS 5D miii, EOS 7D, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS ii, 100-400mmL IS

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2013, 04:44:31 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2013, 05:58:26 PM »
I would have taken it in the magic hour as the sky is just dead, and the light still looks a bit sodium to me - it's the predominant source, I know it's tricky to balance, but thats where PS adjustment layers and composite modes can help out.  Even the 'replace colour' tool would have helped to cool down the other lights for a correctly balanced main structure. I also think the impact of the structure, the vertical repitition of the corinthian pillars is compromised by the bushes at the edge of shot.  The reflections bother me too, that they are off at an angle, maybe a lower camera position with more shift, to me the amount of foreground suggest the camera was pretty much level with no shift dialled in, it's almost a wasted opportunity as half the frame is doing nothing, there's no interesting detail, no lead in.  Compositionally the 'horizon' is pretty much dead centre.  This is exactly the kind of shot where time of day and correct application of the kit can make an exceptional image, and that simply hasn't been achieved.

Thanks for the comments, Paul.  The camera was actually pretty low (tripod without legs extended, so less than 1 m off the ground.  IIRC, it was at about +8 shift.  The 'bushes' at the edge of the shot are trees across the lagoon growing directly in front of the columns (except for the branches of the bare tree that are above the columns) and in the case of one tree, the branches extend into the structure.  Airport security wouldn't let me bring my chainsaw on the plane.  ;)  As for 'magic hour', I agree, but unfortunately the constraints of a day job precluded that (I was at meetings several miles south of SF until after sunset).
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2013, 06:21:04 PM »
Great stuff

PhotographAdventure

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • Snapshot Quality
    • View Profile
    • Harrisburg Wedding Photographer
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2013, 08:22:00 PM »
Anyone could have taken those photographs as there is nothing special about them.

I like them a lot.  I need higher resolution to absorb the awesomeness.

Dylan777

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.smugmug.com/browse
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2013, 09:59:27 PM »
Nice photos Mr. Nguyen  ;)
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2013, 10:01:45 PM »
Here are some of my landscapes or cityscapes of San Francisco shot on a 5DIII and a 24-70mm f/2.8L. Hope you enjoy! Thanks!

EDIT: Thank you for the criticisms! Highly appreciated.  :)

San Francisco Glow by BTNPhoto, on Flickr

San Francisco Bay Bridge by BTNPhoto, on Flickr

San Francisco Golden Gate Bridge by BTNPhoto, on Flickr

Hi BTN, I notice this is only your 4th or 5th Post, so not only were you brave to Post Images, but even braver to ask this Forum for Criticism, and as you have found out, the majority of people that involve themselves in the Forum, are dedicated Photographers of varying levels and only too willing to offer advise in any amount of ways to help other Photographers in a Positive way.

Some, like Neuro are not only accomplished Photographers, but exceptionally technical, Chaps like Gary Samples, rpt, Bdunbar79, serendipity etc etc, are a little of both, privatebydesign knows a huge amount about about Flash Photography, I've learnt heaps from these Guys on this forum, but.

You also have the Michele's and Dilberts, it's an open forum so you cant keep them out, if nothing else they do have humour value, albeit you need to develop a thick skin and learn to ignore the negativity of the down and outs of the world, they are generally born this way, so we need some compassion, and an occasional very large stick doesn't hurt, well I guess it does actually.

Onto the Photos, I love this City, one of my favourites after Florence, you've done an excellent job of exhibiting the City in your Photos, and like all Photographers, you have room to move your skill levels upward, I hope being involved with this Forum allows that to happen. I think well done & welcome to CR.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 10:05:32 PM by eml58 »
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Dylan777

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2013, 10:12:12 PM »
Anyone could have taken those photographs as there is nothing special about them.

-1....I can see your talent through photo below :-\  ;D
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 10:13:59 PM by Dylan777 »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2013, 10:12:12 PM »

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2013, 10:13:56 PM »
Oh, I did mean to mention.

Dilbert, from memory this is what Penguins look like, for future reference.

Dylan777

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2013, 10:15:41 PM »

Thanks eml58 ...YEAP "this is what Penguins look like, for future reference"

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2013, 01:53:35 AM »

Well when you're somewhere that emperor penguins are up and about in daylight, sure.

However fairy penguins don't come out during daylight. They're in burrows, under rocks or under water.

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2013, 02:02:26 AM »
I wondered how this thread ran up a high post count so fast - I was hoping for lots of images, instead it's just dilbert being a rude ass and the fallout from that.  How disappointing.  Dilbert, are you sure you know a good picture from a bad one?  It's a bit more subjective than knowing the difference between a camera and a lens, and since you have trouble comprehending the latter, I question your ability to judge the former.

How did you manage to use a TS lens with that and still come out with your parallels incorrect?

The left side of the image is ok (technically) but the rotunda is just all wrong. The right side is higher than the left? The dome on the top looks like it is mounted on a slope?

No, I'm not sure that I know a good picture from a bad one, but I do know an unremarkable one from a remarkable one. Most night time photos fall in the unremarkable category as far as I'm concerned.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 03:45:08 AM by dilbert »

yogi

« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2013, 02:17:01 AM »
Remarkable photo Neuro! And love yours also btnphotography. Ignore the naysayers btn ::)

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2013, 04:03:09 AM »
I wondered how this thread ran up a high post count so fast - I was hoping for lots of images, instead it's just dilbert being a rude ass and the fallout from that.  How disappointing.  Dilbert, are you sure you know a good picture from a bad one?  It's a bit more subjective than knowing the difference between a camera and a lens, and since you have trouble comprehending the latter, I question your ability to judge the former.

How did you manage to use a TS lens with that and still come out with your parallels incorrect?

The left side of the image is ok (technically) but the rotunda is just all wrong. The right side is higher than the left? The dome on the top looks like it is mounted on a slope?

No, I'm not sure that I know a good picture from a bad one, but I do know an unremarkable one from a remarkable one. Most night time photos fall in the unremarkable category as far as I'm concerned.

Your a very Funny Guy Dilbert, you've managed to insult everyone in this thread that's posted an Image, with the exception of your own image, very credible.

And it would appear you know about as much on the subject of "Fairy Penguins" as you do on Photography.

I originally come from Australia, I also Scuba Dive & do Underwater Photography, in the Southern waters of Australia, Fairy Penguins can be seen all day every day in their hundreds, if your close to Rocks & small Islands they're a PIA as they tend to surround you, all during the Day, you may be right about where they live "Under rocks", I wouldn't know about that as I don't live in that sort of neighbourhood.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 04:34:06 AM by eml58 »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2013, 04:03:09 AM »

serendipidy

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2013, 04:10:21 AM »
It's not a long exposure but here is one of the POFA taken Oct 2009 shortly after I got my first DSLR (Rebel XSi). I was such a noob that I only ever shot in program mode and jpeg. Kit lens EF-S 18-55mm @21mm, F4, 1/50sec, ISO 200, handheld and pp in image browser. I hope I have improved a bit since then and would like to try another shot with my 7D next time I'm in SF.
EOS 5D miii, EOS 7D, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS ii, 100-400mmL IS

paul13walnut5

« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2013, 05:43:39 AM »
If you post stuff for a critique, then don't be dissapointed if you get one.  Not everybody is going to absolutely love your stuff (unless you use flickr the home of facile sycophancy).  Sometimes you are wrong.  Sometimes they are wrong. 

If you are doing it for a hobby (like me) then it doesn't really matter, keep doing it your way and keep enjoying it.
If you are doing it for a living, then unfortunately the client is always right, or you aren't getting paid.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 07:15:38 AM by paul13walnut5 »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2013, 05:43:39 AM »