Gear Talk > Lenses

Is An UWA Lens Useful on a Crop Sensor?

<< < (3/3)

sdsr:
Can you rent one where you are?  If you can, try the Sigma 8-16, which is the widest of the lot and performs well (though not being able to attach a protective filter is a trifle alarming), and judge for yourself.  Sure, you can use it to "get it all in" but to these eyes the results seldom look good unless you're photographing a cramped interior space - outdoors, if you try to "get it all in" you'll likely end up with vast amounts of boring empty foreground.  The main point of these lenses is the fun you can have playing with the distortions they create.  See here, for instance (you may already know all this, of course):

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/wide-angle-lenses.htm

You may find that after the initial new toy excitement wears off these special effects seem a bit gimmicky and lose their appeal; or you may decide that you like the effects but that 8mm is too extreme and 11-12 is enough; etc.  Chances are you'll enjoy finding out.... 

Drum:
I have the Sigma 8-16, I find it has a novelty value in different things , like fun portraits and the obvious landscape shots too, but I'm still working on it as regards to getting my angles right and stuff, you really have to think about what you are doing with it or the shots are boring both the shots here are taken with the 8mm you get the Idea with them. (I had just got the lens when we went on holiday to Paris these shots are from Versailles, the Idea is there but maybe not the execution of it.....!!) btw neither is post processed.

Leejo:

--- Quote ---Is it OK, then, to turn this into a Tokina 11-16 vs Canon 10-22 thread?  It'll likely be a mix of indoors, landscape, outdoor buildings, large group shots and experimenting.
--- End quote ---
I have the canon 15-85mm as well. Can't yet afford a FullFrame and still waiting for excellent WA zooms there
(OK 14mm + 16-35 would be a great combo)
I went for the Sigma after reading a review or two. Most revealing was the combined reviews at http://www.the-digital-picture.com

The reason for my choice - nmy personal travel photography, capturing the inside of some buildings, especially churches, without the effort of stitching etc. Yes it's slower, but I'd rather rest it for one shot - bracketed or multiple shots if I am worried that I may shake, as oppose to worrying about lining up shots for stitching.

For what you list, and having the 15-85 already, I wouldn't necessarily think that the Sigma is the best.
(Plus no easy filter fixing) The Tokina has slightly more CA than the others. The Canon will probably hold it's value longer. Prices are similar enough not to get too hung up on the difference. Otherwise from your list
Indoors - unless you need extremes (Sigma) then the Tokina at f2.8
Landscape - equally good - Canon might edge it due to a mm wider and less CA
Outdoor Buildings - Canon edge as above
Large Groups Shots - all OK.
Experimenting - Sigma for the angle - (Tokina for the f2.8)

You pays your money you takes your choice...

silversurfer96:
I love the Canon 10-22 on my 7D.  Really it is one of the reason why I am still keeping the 7D after upgrading to FF last year.  I took both my 7D and 5D3 to Hearst Castle two weekend ago and most of my shots were done with the 10-22.  That place was a beauty.  I have not tried the 16-35 yet.

bholliman:
The Canon EF-S 10-22mm is a great UWA lens option for a crop sensor camera.  I do not currently own one (sold it last year), but did when my 7D was my primary camera.

When I only shot APS-C, I used my 15-85 95% of the time and a EF-S 55-250mm and EF-S 10-22mm the other 5%.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version