Gear Talk > Lenses

Is An UWA Lens Useful on a Crop Sensor?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Cory:
Is it OK, then, to turn this into a Tokina 11-16 vs Canon 10-22 thread?  It'll likely be a mix of indoors, landscape, outdoor buildings, large group shots and experimenting.
Thanks again.

sootzzs:

--- Quote from: Cory on May 09, 2013, 09:16:54 PM ---Is it OK, then, to turn this into a Tokina 11-16 vs Canon 10-22 thread?  It'll likely be a mix of indoors, landscape, outdoor buildings, large group shots and experimenting.
Thanks again.

--- End quote ---

Hi Cory,
I am actually debating just the same exact question.  Sigma's UWAs also seem as a very good deal (and almost 40% cheaper, the 10-20 4-5.6 at least). In my case I have the EF-S 15-85 and wonder is it worth to spend extra money on UWA? Why not just stitch to pics with higher final resolution? For distortion: did you considered the Samyang 8mm? It is dirt cheap (less than 300$) and have really good reviews. I've seen some fabulous landscapes taken with it and at the right angle and composition you barely see the distortion of it.   

neuroanatomist:
From an IQ standpoint, the Canon 10-22mm, Tokina 11-16mm, and Sigma 8-16mm are similar (all very good).  The Tokina has the least range but f/2.8, the Sigma is widest but slowest, the Canon has the broadest range and is in the middle for speed.

Cory:
Thanks.  Maybe the Tokina, then, for the match with my 17-50 Sigma and same 77mm filters (polarizing and ND).

Random Orbits:
Cory, take a look at how much you use your 17-55 between 17-22.  When I had the Canon 10-22, I liked that it overlapped the midrange zoom a bit -- it really cuts down on the lens changes.  At a 35mm FF-equivalent angle of view, it worked well for environmental people pics while still giving you the 16mm equivalent angle of view for the scenic, artistic shot.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version