October 20, 2014, 12:51:09 AM

Author Topic: Hello and What to put in my camera bag to come?  (Read 5618 times)

steven63

Re: Hello and What to put in my camera bag to come?
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2011, 04:28:41 PM »

Just buy them all and after a year of trying them out, toss me what you don't use/like.   ;D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2011, 04:28:41 PM »

Enrico

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2011, 04:36:34 PM »

:D

That's also an option... or I just go buy some Canon G12 and never ever spend this amount of time on rumor sites nor all review sites...

If I would have gotten paid per hour browsing review sites as on my day job... welll I could probably buy Canon themselves... ;)

7enderbender

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2011, 05:13:50 PM »

If you have a 200 mm, how often do you think you should have had a 300 or a 400?

Almost never. I have a 500 for my film camera and stuff beyond 200 to me is highly specialized. It's good for sports and wildlife obviously. I don't do a lot of that. And if there was ever a need I'd rather rent a really good one in that range. I mean, it all depends of course. I actually shot a few nice portraits with my FD 500. But you can do the same with a lot of other lenses. Or better.

I like the fixed 200 for outside stuff with the kids. You have to think of course and move around. But the 2.8 aperture and small form factor beats the zoom option for me. And the 70-200 2.8L is just too expensive and too big - and too white for me...

But think about it like this: if you had to decide to get 2 lenses only and only those for a long period of time, what would you be the most comfortable with?

I'd either go with a good 50 and the 135L or the 24-70 and the 135L. 50+135 would be more likely, which is by the way the first combo I had when I started using my Dad's camera back then. There is not a lot that this combo won't do.  Later I relied on and traveled a lot with a Sigma 35-135. I mostly used it either at 135 or between 35-50ish.
5DII - 50L - 135L - 200 2.8L - 24-105 - 580EXII - 430EXII - FD 500/8 - AE1-p - bag full of FD lenses

scottkinfw

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • kasden.smug.com
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2011, 05:36:55 PM »
Why the Sigma 85mm? 

I have the Canon 85mm 1.8 version and it's exceptional (when I need 85).

I tend to love my L zoom lenses, and am not familiar with other brands.  So of the Canon lenses you list, and that I am familiar with:

EF 70-300/4-5.6L IS
EF 24-70/2.8 L
EF 70-200/4 L IS

All fine lenses.  However, since weight is an issue (so is size when carting kids and supplies, the 70-300 is not much different from the 70-200 2.8 IS II (which I have).  These would not really meet your needs on the physicality criterion.

The 70-200/4 IS is much smaller& less expensive than its 2.8 brother, is much lighter, and is an excellent, wonderful lens!  This would be great for the zoos.  The 24-70/2.8 will be an excellent choice for your close in work and is a fast lens. 

sek Cameras: 5D III, 5D II, EOS M  Lenses:  24-70 2.8 II IS, 24-105 f4L, 70-200 f4L IS, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, EF 300 f4L IS, EF 400 5.6L, 300 2.8 IS II, Samyang 14 mm 2.8 Flashes: 580 EX II600EX-RT X 2, ST-E3-RT
Plus lots of stuff that just didn't work for me

afira

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2011, 10:07:16 PM »
Personally - with the megapixels on every modern camera, I tend to use a wider angle and and crop as needed. Particularly for action shots where the focus may change in a moment's notice, I would suggest something like a  24-105mm as being my preferred focal range for things like little kids soccer games, but a 70-200 for something like baseball where you would more than likely be behind a fence or need to capture possible action down the field. However, I temper that information with the fact that I use an APS-C and not a FF. You'll also need to consider if the sports they are choosing are outdoors, shot at night or indoors with low light, shot indoors with heavy light, shot with massive spotlights, etc. This should all impact your choice in lens and the minimum apertures you select for your glass.

As for the difference between a 70-300mm f/4-5.6L and a 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, it's approximately 340 grams or .7 of a pound. That's a significant difference weight wise. I'm about a hundred pounds, and I lug around my 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II chained around my neck like an anchor, but, honestly, I don't even notice it until 3-4 hours later. The problem with carrying such a large piece of glass is that kids love to come up and hug you, tug on you and crush your equipment without a care in the world. I am of the opinion, the shorter, the lighter and the more mobile you can be with your equipment and kids - the better. The 24-105mm or a 24-70mm would be better choices for younger kids, the older the are, you may want to select big whites. I shoot mainly old sweaty men in lycra and riding around on very fast wheels, so big white glass is more than okay.

For portraits though, I'm relying on my 100mm f/2.8 Macro. The bokeh is too good, and I love the sharp, crisp and almost luminous quality I can produce from it with a little soft light. On the APS-C I get good framing and perfect close-up shots. A 135mm prime would produce similarly framed shots for me, but I just adore the depth of field and pretty much everything that comes from it. I'm told the L series is that and everything more, so you may want to inspect some portraits done with the L Macro - even if its something you didn't consider previously.

Enrico

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2011, 01:38:27 AM »

Thanks alot Afira, Scottkinfw and 7enderbender. Again you make me reconsider my options.

If only two lenses... wow. Good question. I think I would go with a zomm 24-105/4 or 24-70/2.8 and a really fast prime for nice portraits. depending on the zoom it would either be 135/2 or 85/1.2 (or Sigma 85/1.4).

Actually I haven't considered the 100/2.8 Macro (yet). Some years ago it was on my list since I wanted to try Macro, but I bought "magnifying filters" instead and realized it was nothing for me. But now the lens is forgotten. I will check it immideately!

Since I will be using a FF 200 mm as the longest reach feels short. But perhaps I put too much value into those last 100 mm...

bycostello

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • London Weddings
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2011, 06:07:51 AM »
as you say weight is an issue...  for weddings i carry a ton of lenes, but for my personal stuff i use an S95 and now looking at an Olympus pen, new model coming out with 'fast' focusing.

Horses for courses as they say... 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2011, 06:07:51 AM »

7enderbender

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2011, 08:39:28 AM »

Thanks alot Afira, Scottkinfw and 7enderbender. Again you make me reconsider my options.

If only two lenses... wow. Good question. I think I would go with a zomm 24-105/4 or 24-70/2.8 and a really fast prime for nice portraits. depending on the zoom it would either be 135/2 or 85/1.2 (or Sigma 85/1.4).

Actually I haven't considered the 100/2.8 Macro (yet). Some years ago it was on my list since I wanted to try Macro, but I bought "magnifying filters" instead and realized it was nothing for me. But now the lens is forgotten. I will check it immideately!

Since I will be using a FF 200 mm as the longest reach feels short. But perhaps I put too much value into those last 100 mm...

I'm sure you have thought about that already but I'll mention it anyway:

If you go beyond 200 you might want to factor a decent tripod and/or monopod into your calculations as well. If done right, unfortunately not a cheap additional tool...

5DII - 50L - 135L - 200 2.8L - 24-105 - 580EXII - 430EXII - FD 500/8 - AE1-p - bag full of FD lenses

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2011, 09:24:16 AM »
Wow - lots of opinions and options, I'll try to add some of mine along with relevant examples (I also have two kids, 1.5 and 3.5 yrs, and like you, much of my photography revolves around them).

If you want to shoot family shots indoors, a FF camera is what works best - on my 7D, I don't like to go over ISO 800, which just doesn't cut it indoors.  On my 5DII, ISO 3200 is fine.

So, 5DII + 24-105mm for general use is optimal.  Might want a Speedlite flash for extra light indoors (bounced off the ceiling, the light is soft).  In a situation where you have control over the background, it does fine for portraits and can produce some nice results, for example:

EOS 5D Mark II, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM @ 105mm, 1/60 s, f/4, ISO 400, 430EX II

The 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II is a wonderful lens, the images you get make it worth the cost and weight.  I'll confirm your statement about the focal length being awkward on a 1.6x body - I found that to be the case personally.  I love it on the 5DII.  It does very well for outdoor portraits, where f/2.8 is enough to provide good background blur.  An example from the combo:

EOS 5D Mark II, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM @ 70mm, 1/250 s, f/2.8, ISO 100

In most cases, f/2.8 on FF works very well for portraits.  If you have a FF camera, I honestly think you'd be fine with the Canon 85mm f/1.8.  It focuses very fast and accurately (AF accuracy is reportedly an issue with many Sigma lenses), and is very sharp.  I do have the 85mm f/1.2L II, and it's wonderful for portraits...but, I usually use it in the f/1.8-2.2 range, else the DoF is just too thin.  Some examples below, note how thin the DoF is, even at f/1.8 (often only one eye is in focus)...

EOS 5D Mark II, EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM @ 1/60 s, f/1.8, ISO 400

EOS 5D Mark II, EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM @ 1/160 s, f/1.8, ISO 100

Side note on the 85mm primes - if you plan to use these for outdoor portraits, get a 3-stop ND filter for the lens you buy.  At f/1.8 on a sunny day, even 1/8000 s at ISO 50 can overexpose.  I recommend 3 stops for the most flexibility - 2 stops might not be quite enough, and if 3 stops is alittle too much, you can always bump the ISO to 200 or 400 and that won't impact IQ.  I use (and recommend) B+W filters.

The 135mm f/2L is also excellent - great for tight portraits, but as your kids start participating in sports/etc., it's also an excellent lens for that (kids sports are usually in poorly-lit venues, as are dance rectitals, school plays, etc.).  Here's an action example with the 135L:

EOS 5D Mark II, EF 135mm f/2L USM, 1/1600 s, f/2.2, ISO 100

I also really like the 35mm f/1.4L - for exactly the situations you describe, indoor activities with ambient (i.e. poor) light.  It's also great as a nighttime walkaround lens, and can be fun to use for portraits on occasion.  Here's an example:

EOS 5D Mark II, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, 1/30 s, f/1.4, ISO 100

So, my recommendation would be:

Starters
5DII/III
EF 24-105mm f/4L IS
EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II
Speedlite 430EX II
EF 85mm f/1.8 (unless you really want the wider aperture - I suspect you won't use it much)

Later
EF 35mm f/1.4L
EF 135m f/2L
EF 1.4x III Extender (or the cheaper MkII), if you find 200mm isn't long enough sometimes

IMO, the 35L and 135L are likely to be updated reasonably soon.  The 35L could use weather sealing and sharper corners, and the 70-200mm II is actaully sharper than the 135mm f/2L (not a knock on the prime, the zoom is truly excellent, but a prime should be sharper, and I bet Canon will address that soon). 

I don't really use the 100-400mm on my 5DII.  I find that if I need more than 200mm (FF equivalent), I usually need way more, so the 100-400mm on the 7D is the choice for distance shots (birds/wildlife), with 640mm FF equivalent at the long end.  For occasional use, you can consider supplementing the 70-200 II with a 1.4x extender (giving you a 98-280mm f/4 lens with very good IQ).  Personally, for the uses you indicate I find that 200mm is fine almost all of the time.

As others have mentioned, get a decent tripod - personally, I recommend Manfrotto as the best compromise between quality (very good) and cost (expensive, but not a Gitzo).  If you get a cheap tripod, you won't use it because it's a pain to use and doesn't provide enough stability.  My Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 and 468MGRC2 ballhead (498RC2 would be fine) supports a gripped body and 70-200 II or 100-400mm with no issues.  If you don't plan to hike with the tripod, you can get aluminum legs (cheaper but heavier), but do keep in mind that if it's too heavy you won't bring it at all, and then it's just a waste of money.

Also, as you and others mention, the kit is pretty substantial and heavy.  So, keep in mind the title of your post, and don't forget a good camera bag - or more than one.  For the kit I suggest above, a Lowepro Flipside 300 would be a good choice, IMO.  I also like the Lowepro Toploader Pro 65 AW for just camera and standard lens, 75 AW for camera and white telezoom, often with a Lens Case 1W attached to the side for a second lens.

Finally, I'll second what bycostello said - sometimes, you just can't take a dSLR and set of lenses with you.  For those times, I use a PowerShot S95 - big sensor (for a P&S) means relatively low noise, and it shoots RAW for maximum post-porcessing flexibility. 

Hope some of the above helps...and, good luck with your decisions!

EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Enrico

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2011, 02:46:56 PM »

neuroanatomist - thank you, thank you so very much for all advice and the images. The kids are wonderful!

Really how slow is the 85/1.2 in focusing? Alot of people seem to be complaining... but I guess all depends on what you compare with. I mean, the Tamron I had wasn't really super fast on my 350D either...

Having thought this over again... Perhaps I should go with heavy great performing options? Perhaps I will lose those extra kilos all the beers during this summer put on around my waist... (I mean, if I weigh 10+ kg too much... why even discuss a lens on 1500 grams vs 1200 vs 750... :)

Perhaps there will be more situations when I make the shots due to the faster lenses than situations when I go through todays captures and think... "ha... I really didn't need 2,8 today either... " Because I thikn that's where I might end up, since my stubborn savings and keepin the 350 have put the lenses within reach.

The 85/1.8 would follow the same arguments, it has faster AF, and is alot cheaper. But if and when I want to have a go on those super dreamy shots... it would still be 1.8.

Bags. Yes, I have a few but there will be more to come. Same goes with tripod. But bags and tripods seem to be more straightforward than lenses...

(btw, I already have 430 EX and the ST-E2)

#5.
5DIII
EF 24-70/2.8 L
EF 70-200/2.8 L IS II
85/1.2 L (or still the Sigma 85/1.4...)

Later
Extender 1.4 III
35/1.4

Again, thank you all for sharing your thoughts. Although I have problems deciding you help me look at this from new angles (and focal lengths... :) )

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2011, 02:46:56 PM »