September 20, 2014, 04:05:30 PM

Author Topic: Why is my 5D3 so noisy???  (Read 16841 times)

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Why is my 5D3 so noisy???
« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2013, 02:09:21 AM »
ETTR, and Process noise in LR. Easily making great ISO 12,800 shots.
High ISO is typically used when the scene is shutter speed and aperture limited, meaning it's necessary to increase ISO in order to achieve an acceptable level of output brightness for a given DOF and shutter speed. In such situations ETTR is not available because it would require decreasing the DOF or shutter speed below the already minimum necessary for the scene, the minimums that necessitated increasing the ISO to begin with.

actually it is. you are better off exposing a little higher say iso 8000 or 12800 even vs iso 6400 rather than try push that 6400 in post if the 6400 shot results in an exposure that is underexposed. This is where it takes some practice to know how much latitude you will have with highlights at the higher iso levels trial and error is the key here. Basically though the higher the iso the more critical it is to nail the exposure high iso is very unforgiving of under exposure and has alot less highlight headroom than low iso so you have a lower ability to ETTR but never the less its still better to expose a little right than risk being under even if it mean jacking up the in camera iso
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2013, 02:09:21 AM »

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 29, 2013, 07:59:19 AM »
If you look at the graph on this page:

http://home.comcast.net/~NikonD70/Charts/PDR_Shadow.htm#D800e,EOS%205D%20Mark%20III

... when it flattens out, you no longer gain anything by using ETTR with a higher ISO to remove noise.

ETTR works well with Canon cameras because the amplification is done before the conversion from analogue to digital.

With the 5D2, it is quite clear that beyond ISO 1600, there's not much to be gained by raising the ISO and then ETTR.

Similarly, from ISO 1600 to ISO 6400 on the 5D3, there's maybe 1 stop of DR gain with 2 stops of ISO movement.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 29, 2013, 01:48:28 PM »
If you look at the graph on this page:

http://home.comcast.net/~NikonD70/Charts/PDR_Shadow.htm#D800e,EOS%205D%20Mark%20III

... when it flattens out, you no longer gain anything by using ETTR with a higher ISO to remove noise.

ETTR works well with Canon cameras because the amplification is done before the conversion from analogue to digital.

With the 5D2, it is quite clear that beyond ISO 1600, there's not much to be gained by raising the ISO and then ETTR.

Similarly, from ISO 1600 to ISO 6400 on the 5D3, there's maybe 1 stop of DR gain with 2 stops of ISO movement.

+1

That's been my experience.  At high ISO's, there is no extra DR to allow for much overexposure, exposure really needs to be as close as you can reasonably get it.  Even so, a small overexposure is usually better than a small underexposure.

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 29, 2013, 09:57:08 PM »
When shooting higher iso's, ETTR is an absolute 100% must.
Right from the start I've been astounded how much detail there is in 5D3 highlights before they blow to 255.

Modified technique on your part should deliver fantastic high iso 5D3 image files.

-PW

Is it a must ? what happens with the R+B channels  compare to green ? do you use magenta filter? WHAT does ETTR means.
I think you all shall read this . For some of you you only expose the motive  richer =  the "iso"  6400 iso are now  equal to 3200, 1600  exposure   and you are  moving the middle grey to the right and with clipping of high lights and less noise as a result.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/42322633

part2
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51133125

Oh dear!

Anybody thinking results from an Olympus can be transposed to a Canon is beyond help. Why in gods name would you even dream of putting a magenta filter on a camera that is very well known to favour the red channel? If you were interested in using the above technique on a Canon you would need to use a cyan or better yet, azure filter.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 30, 2013, 08:14:17 AM »
The light  energy and wavelength are the same regardless you are shooting with a Olympus or a Canon.

Are the CFAs the same, too?  Or does that not matter?
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 30, 2013, 08:23:49 AM »
The light  energy and wavelength are the same regardless you are shooting with a Olympus or a Canon.

Exactly, you beat me to it, again  :)
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 30, 2013, 02:00:23 PM »

The CFA can be  very different, but all is about  to compensate against green channel

Only if a channel histogram shows the green values higher than red or blue, like the Olympus in the link. That is not the case the vast majority of the time with Canon cameras, just look at your channel histograms, they tend to have higher red values, the way to balance that with filters would be to use a Cyan filter.

Of course you would still need to do colour corrections in post but you wouldn't clip the red channel as quickly.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: May 30, 2013, 02:00:23 PM »

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 30, 2013, 08:50:24 PM »
Hey,

Thanks to everyone for all the advice. I'd never heard of ETTR till this thread, and I'm gonna make sure and try to remember that next time out shooting higher ISO.

Also, I remembered while messing with these in post, that I had purchased the NIK plugins awhile back for Aperture 3, and had forgotten that includes a de-noiser...which I think I've had some success with.

Here is my take on that original image....it was pretty messed up, but I think I've done a decent job in post with it.

I tried setting up my Dropbox to have the .CR2 raw files to let folks look at, but for some reason, the raw files don't seem to make it unadulterated into the dropbox share....once there, they all show the same size (like 114K or something ridiculous). SO, I'm working to figure that out for future uses.

Anyway, here's what I was able to do with it.....comments?

(I'm editing to attach the orig to compare with it.)

TIA,

cayenne
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 08:54:00 PM by cayenne »

archiea

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 30, 2013, 10:42:06 PM »
Confucius say: "Canon 5D only as noisy as user!" ;D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #68 on: May 30, 2013, 10:42:06 PM »