August 28, 2014, 09:12:06 PM

Author Topic: When are we gonna get some news on canons next 50mm (hopefully with IS)  (Read 9670 times)

Sella174

• 5D Mark III
  • So there!
    • View Profile
... I cannot understand why we do not have a stunning, well-priced normal lens for our camera bodies....this continually perplexes me and obviously it perplexes others as well and has for quite some time.

Two reasons:

(1) Zoom lenses sell cameras. Who, especially the target audience of the "entry-level" cameras, will today buy a DSLR kitted with a prime lens?

(2) The non-L primes that are being "updated" are just being done because they are "traditional" lenses and Canon obviously feels that they should still manufacture them. Therefore they get "updated" and made current/modern with IS. The prices of these lenses suggest that Canon felt right from the start that sales will be very slow.
Happily ignoring the laws of physics and the rules of photography to create better pictures.

canon rumors FORUM

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Chuck Alaimo Photography
An updated 1.4 with a better focusing motor, bit better sealing and no IS would be great. A second model with a STM and IS for video/people who want IS would be great. IS has its place and yes it can be shut off, but I feel the market is large enough for two versions, say a 50 f/2 STM IS and 50 1.4 (updated).

Agreed...
Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

infared

• 1D Mark IV
  • Kodak Brownie!
    • View Profile
... I cannot understand why we do not have a stunning, well-priced normal lens for our camera bodies....this continually perplexes me and obviously it perplexes others as well and has for quite some time.

Two reasons:

(1) Zoom lenses sell cameras. Who, especially the target audience of the "entry-level" cameras, will today buy a DSLR kitted with a prime lens?

(2) The non-L primes that are being "updated" are just being done because they are "traditional" lenses and Canon obviously feels that they should still manufacture them. Therefore they get "updated" and made current/modern with IS. The prices of these lenses suggest that Canon felt right from the start that sales will be very slow.

Valid points....perhaps a Sigma Artline 50mm f/1.4 is the best hope for a reasonably priced, better quality AF normal lens.  I know the Zeiss is going to cost a fortune but set a new standard, which it most likely will.
5D Mark III, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E, Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS, 21mm f/2.8 Zeiss, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 Sigma, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro,70-200mm f/2.8L IS II...1.4x converter III, and some other stuff.....

ahsanford

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
I just fail to see why this new 50mm will be a problem.  We will then have:

$125 or so --> 50 F/1.8: nifty fifty
$350 or so --> 50 F/1.4 (sort of) USM: a great lens for the dollar (like the 85 F/1.8:)
$800 or so --> new 50 F/? IS USM
$1300? (I have forgotten) --> the 50L F/1.2:  the high art / portraiture lens, the je ne sais quoi lens, the bokeh magic lens, etc.

That third option is perfectly placed.  Many people who feel the L is overpriced or underfeatured will jump at the new offering.  I certainly will.

- A

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile

$350 or so --> 50 F/1.4 (sort of) USM: a great lens for the dollar (like the 85 F/1.8:)
$1300? (I have forgotten) --> the 50L F/1.2:  the high art / portraiture lens, the je ne sais quoi lens, the bokeh magic lens, etc.

That third option is perfectly placed.  Many people who feel the L is overpriced or underfeatured will jump at the new offering.  I certainly will.

- A

The problem is --- many feel that the 1.4 is the one that needs to be updated...as a 1.4!!!!  The market for primes seems to have a clear line in the sand ---the camp that wants a slower lens with IS and a camp that wants a fast lens and doesn't care for IS.  The next divide is price - the only way to please both camps is to make a 1.4 with IS but I seriously doubt such a thing would be made available under 1K - or IQ will be garbage from 1.4-2.8. 

I just want an optically improved 1.4...or, lets get it on with a 50mmL 1.2v2!
Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

jdramirez

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
 I'd pay 900  for a50mm  that is sharp wide open...  but it is to much to ask for at the moment...
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100 f/2.8L->85mm f/1.8 USM->135L -> 8mm ->100L

ahsanford

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile

- A

The problem is --- many feel that the 1.4 is the one that needs to be updated...as a 1.4!!!!  The market for primes seems to have a clear line in the sand ---the camp that wants a slower lens with IS and a camp that wants a fast lens and doesn't care for IS.  The next divide is price - the only way to please both camps is to make a 1.4 with IS but I seriously doubt such a thing would be made available under 1K - or IQ will be garbage from 1.4-2.8. 

I think some of us (and this is not an indictment) are getting hung up in F/1.4 vs. F/2.  It's just one stop.  The other improvements -- general overall sharpness, internal focusing, IS, much much faster focusing, better build -- would have me buy this lens at F/2 or F/1.4. 

I know I am in the minority here, but I'd gladly give up one stop for all those improvements.

As for 50Lv2, agree.  It doesn't even stack up to the current F/1.4 in the corners.  For 3-4x the price, it should everything the cheaper one does and more.

- A

canon rumors FORUM

Pi

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Math and Photography
As for 50Lv2, agree.  It doesn't even stack up to the current F/1.4 in the corners.  For 3-4x the price, it should everything the cheaper one does and more.

No, it should be different, and it is. F/1.2 poses different design requirements.

pj1974

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • A selection of my photos (copyright)
I think some of us (and this is not an indictment) are getting hung up in F/1.4 vs. F/2.  It's just one stop.  The other improvements -- general overall sharpness, internal focusing, IS, much much faster focusing, better build -- would have me buy this lens at F/2 or F/1.4. 

I know I am in the minority here, but I'd gladly give up one stop for all those improvements.

In part I do agree with you - personally my needs and style of photography means that I'm not so hung up on the maximum aperture issue (ie between f/1.4 - f/2). However I wouldn't want anything slower than f/2 - though I do understand there are people who need f/1.4 (rather than f/2).  :)

Particularly if there the lens comes with IS - f/2 would work great for certain applications.  And having a robust focus (STM as a minimum, or true ring USM as my preference) - ie fast, accurate, consistent.

More importantly, I want the next Canon 50mm lens - to have great IQ (sharp, contrasty, smooth bokeh, low CAs, little vignetting) when it's wide open.  ;)

Then if anything the lens' IQ should 'improve from there' in the range f/wide-open till f/5.6. I doubt I'll use such a lens at smaller apertures than f/5.6.

The new EF Canon 35mm f/2 IS USM looks attractive... just I use the 50mm focus length more than I use 35mm.  I'd be prepared to spend up to $1000 AUD for a lens that fits the bill. I'm looking forward to what might be around the corner....  8)

Paul
I'm not a brand-fanatic. What I do appreciate is using my 7D and 350D cameras along with a host of lenses & many accessories to capture quality photos, and share with friends.

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile

- A

- A

I think the camps are pretty evenly divided (because there are a lot of video folks that want the IS).  But for those of us hunting for amazing bokeh, f2 is not f1.4! 

In my shoes, I want bokeh.  If the new 50 is f2 with IS and costs $900, well that just gives me the extra nudge to upgrade my 24-70 to the v2 because that lens is from what I have heard nothing short of amazing!!!!   With that lens now out, the only reason to go for a prime in that range is  --- bokeh.  2.8 vs 2.0 doesn't let in enough light to make that a wedding lens.  1.4 vs 2.8 though, now that is a difference maker.  I can handheld my 50mm down to 1/40th of a second no problem - so with IS I could go down to 1/10th ---but, that won't be of much use at a wedding reception because people are moving. 

So yeah, in a nutshell, if it's f2 with IS, that just gives me another reason to save the pennies for the 24-70.  But if its f1.4 no IS but improved IQ, corners, AF...then I'd snag one! 

Either way, I do think that each variation is different enough to warrant both.  But again I really feel that we're talking about apples and oranges here.  f2 with IS will appeal to some --- 1.4 no IS will appeal to other...but like I said - if all they release is f2 with IS, I will just go with the 24-70 because the IQ will most likely be better and there is a lot more versatility to the zoom (and no compromise in IQ).  And mounted on a 5d3, I have no problems just boosting the ISO to keep my SS at a reasonable level!

switters

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
After my experience with the Sigma Art 35, and their new dock, I'll wait until they release their Art 50 lens. If it's as good as their 35, I'll be all over it.

rs

• 6D
    • View Profile
Cheaper IS implementations can be very cheap - just look at the £85 18-55 IS lens. I see no reason why another all-plastic replacement for the 50/1.8 line couldn't be released with IS for a similar introduction price - whether its f1.8 or f2.

I have a feeling the higher end f1.4 and f1.2 lens replacements are less likely to get IS, but it'd be nice to be proved wrong - those that don't want the feature can always leave it turned off, as long as they afford it.
5D II | 24-70 II | 70-200 II | 100L | 40 | Sigma 50/1.4 | 40D | 10-22 | 17-55 | 580 EX II | 1.4x TC II

RMC33

• 7D
    • View Profile

No, because it will stay at home as I don't plan on dragging around a ~$800 dollar lens on holiday that weighs 200-400g more because of a system that I don't need. I have not needed IS to shoot with my current 50 1.4 ever, 24-70 Mk1/2 or any lens that "needs" IS. Like I said, A 50 STM f/2 with IS for the video and "I want IS" crowd would be great and I may even buy that next to a 50 f/1.4 II but IS on everything is just expensive and heavy~

EF 28mm f2.8 weights 185 gm, EF 28mm f2.8 USM IS weights 260 gm. This difference is only 75 gm. I do not know where did you get the 200-400 gm information. If you do not want to bring a $800 lens on a trip then would you bring a $1800 camera body on a trip???

What $1800 dollar camera body? I would bring an SL1 or some such on holiday. There is more glass in the 50 vs the 28. I would hazard a guess at 100-125g increase at tops for a 50 with IS not 200-400 like I stated, which is still too much. A ring type USM would also be welcome, rather then a micro motor.

canon rumors FORUM