September 02, 2014, 05:51:28 PM

Author Topic: banning people for nothing at canon rumors  (Read 29936 times)

hamada

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
banning people for nothing at canon rumors
« on: June 13, 2013, 11:40:55 AM »
in behalf of the member canon-f1 i post this (i did send it to the admin too):

he asked me to do so as he knows me as a fellow german member.

Quote from: canon-f1

mt spokane photography bans member just for disagreeing with him.

he has banned me permanently for no reason.

i wonder if he can present ANY reason for this permanent ban other then his ego.

check my posts and look if there is anything from me for that i deserve to be banned.

he is just one of these mods who have nothing in real life so the act like little dictators in virtual life.

the reason i was banned for must be this:

well spokane did not notice the error... so all is fine and adobe and all who have an issue are wrong.

i did not wrote anything after that.
and nothing before, that justifies a ban.. outside mt spokanes head of course

if he dares to say there was... he should post it!!

i have to say i looked at his last posts and i don´t see why he was permanently banned.   ???

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=19622

« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 11:54:45 AM by hamada »

canon rumors FORUM

banning people for nothing at canon rumors
« on: June 13, 2013, 11:40:55 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: banning people for nothing at canon rumors
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 12:46:48 PM »
i have to say i looked at his last posts and i don´t see why he was permanently banned.   ???

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=19622

Personally, I can recall several insulting and sometimes offensive posts by Canon-F1.  You don't see them in the list of posts because the moderators removed them, probably in many cases after they were reported by other users.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Malte_P

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 01:09:37 PM »

Personally, I can recall several insulting and sometimes offensive posts by Canon-F1.  You don't see them in the list of posts because the moderators removed them, probably in many cases after they were reported by other users.

that is why postings should not be removed at all.
it´s like the police saying "we had the evidence but we destroyed it".

what you say is maybe true or not.
or you think it was insulting and offensive, everyone has a different view and tolerance level.

i have had my problems with MODS too. :) (not here... yet ;) )
the MOD job attracts a certain kind of person, that i think is for sure.
and it is not unlikely they abuse their powers.

in my opinion that is more dangerous then a little flamebait.

my 2 cents.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 01:12:10 PM by Malte_P »

ahab1372

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 01:30:21 PM »

I disagree - I have seen threads on some boards that become a pain to read because they are cluttered with flames and insults. I'm actually glad that there are people who take on the extra work of deleting them, even at the risk that admins may at times overreact.

Malte_P

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 02:22:33 PM »

I disagree - I have seen threads on some boards that become a pain to read because they are cluttered with flames and insults. I'm actually glad that there are people who take on the extra work of deleting them, even at the risk that admins may at times overreact.

i mean deleted from the users database.
so it´s not visible in the threads but when you look at the user stats.

i think every good forum software has this option today.

Peerke

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 03:36:49 PM »
I once got a firm last warning over here. I still don't know why  ::).
7D, 40D, EF-S 10-22, EF-S 17-55 f/2.8, EF-S 18-135, EF 70-200 f/4 IS, EF 35 f2.0, EF 85 f/1.8, EF 50 f/1.8 II, EF 100 f/2.0, Sigma 150, Speedlite 430 II

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 03:39:52 PM »
Over the course of a long life, I formulated what I call "the jerk rule."

There are jerks in every profession and in every position and in every community and in every family. Nothing you can do about it really, that's life.

There are fathers who are jerks (happy Father's Day even to them!). There are cops who are jerks. There are janitors who are jerks. There are teachers who are jerks. There are cab drivers who are jerks. There are criminals who are jerks. There even used to be soda jerks (sorry, couldn't resist).

Anyway, my way to deal with this life reality is twofold: One, identify jerks. Two, avoid interaction with jerks to the extent possible.

Most CR mods are great folks. Yet, even here, there are and will continue to be jerks. That's life.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 03:39:52 PM »

2n10

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 04:00:19 PM »
I work as a mod on another site and we have an option to soft delete posts.  It is up to the site owner to decide how much of a forum program is used. 

There are normally steps to be taken before a member is suspended/banned, again the owner decides how that works and how it is implemented.  It is kept private for obvious reasons I hope.

To the OP I suggest treading lightly on this subject.
Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF-S 17-55, EF 100 Macro, EF 50 1.4, EF 70-300, EF 100-400L

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 04:01:08 PM »
I've been a long time critic of the moderation on this forum. I have no idea who the moderators are and if it is just one over-zealous individual or not, but I have made no secret of my disagreement with the arbitrary and inconsistent application of secret and ever-changing standards.

I have argued long and hard that the old system of "karma" was much more effective because it was a self-policing system that allowed the entire group on the forum to express their opinion. People didn't like the karma system, but it was effective in two ways – it made people more cautious about what they said and it gave readers an instant idea of whether a particular person was credible or a just a troll.

I find it interesting that one of the persons defending the moderators has a long history of belittling others on the forum with whom he disagrees. And, that's exactly the problem. In the absence of any clear standards, it is far too easy for moderators to pick and choose whom they like and whom they don't and apply different standards to different individuals.

The problem is compounded because this is an international forum. Standards for acceptable exchanges vary from culture to culture. In addition, for those for whom English is a second language, knowing the nuances of the language can be a challenge. I have great admiration for those who participate from other countries and personally, try to cut someone a little extra slack if I think English is not their first language.

Unfortunately, being a moderator is one of those jobs that too often appeals to persons who are exactly the opposite of what a good moderator should be – tolerant of differences of opinion and willing to provide people with as much latitude as possible, while trying to keep the exchange civil. It's not unique to this forum and in fact, this forum is probably better than many.

Ultimately, I'd say distant.star's approach is best – just accept that sometimes the moderators will be jerks and move on.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 04:06:26 PM »
Thank-you for taking the time to discuss what is perceived to be an issue.

I will say that time-to-time I will get clarification from a moderator if a user complains directly to me about a ban. Most of the time the moderator is granted autonomy in making the decision to ban or suspend a user. However, there have been a few instances where a ban has been overturned for whatever reason. Humans make mistakes and moderating a forum is pretty much a thankless job. :)

As for soft deleting posts, I will look into that. The idea is a good one.

Karma was abused in so many ways, and was an enormous headache for myself and moderators. It is never coming back.

Again, thanks for the concern and if anyone has any issues you think I should know about, please email me at canonrumorsguy [a t] gmail.com

Do not use the messaging system here to get in contact with me.

Cheers
CR
canonrumors.com

crasher8

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2013, 04:07:29 PM »
I was banned in a previous incarnation (crasher7) by sharing info about rebates on a certain brand of tripods. Ricockulous.

comsense

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2013, 04:10:28 PM »
I find it interesting that one of the persons defending the moderators has a long history of belittling others on the forum with whom he disagrees. And, that's exactly the problem.
+1
Hey, if your insult is wrapped in sarcasm, its suppose to be OK....
Old adage: If you remove your pants, its obscenity; if I do it, its art!
Easy fellows - all of you  ;)

And-Rew

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2013, 04:13:31 PM »
Moderators do a difficult job and should be thanked for what they do.

People have to be warned occasionally - or even in the extreme - have membership of forum revoked as deemed fit. :-\

The only issue I see with this thread is - the person does not know why they have been the recipient of the ultimate sanction. If a sanction is imposed, it should always come with an explanation in the hope that the the person will learn from it, or have a chance to challenge it.

I could be wrong, but how many of us here speak fluent German?

I'm English, not American, Canadian or from similar international English speaking country - and I find various comments from people of those countries to be 'challenging to accept' - but often put it down to getting 'lost in translation'.

When some one from a non English speaking country engages in an English speaking forum, I'm often inclined to be impressed that they have such language skills and feel embarrassed at my failure to reciprocate - but also I'm inclined to give them a bit more latitude than I would for a person raised up with English as a first language. And of all the languages - there is a reason German is not amongst the top spoken languages in the world - it does not translate well, as my wife who spent 20 years living in Gemany will attest.

Ban the guy by all means, but at least tell him why and see if he has erred in his usage of the English language!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2013, 04:13:31 PM »

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2013, 04:32:18 PM »
Are we SURE he's banned and didn't just finally sell all of his gear and move to Nikon?  ;D
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

canon_convert

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2013, 04:55:31 PM »
I still wonder WHY ankorwatt never got perm banned so far.... he is  ridiculous  :o

5D MkIII, 24-05, 50mm 1.4

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2013, 04:55:31 PM »