July 23, 2014, 12:35:58 PM

Author Topic: Recommended Video cards for use with Adobe Premier...?  (Read 3653 times)

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Recommended Video cards for use with Adobe Premier...?
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2013, 06:25:24 PM »
You don't need a quadro though. Nvidia and Adobe are just in bed so they try to make it seem like you need a Quadro.

The Quadro is faster, but I have a 4000M not because of Adobe, but because I frequently use Vegas Pro.

I have had machines without Quadro 4000M, that use GEForce or others and I can assure you that the Quadros are faster, especially if the rest of the machine is high spec.

Just between the 5010M and 4000M is a 30% real world speed difference, and the difference is amplified with the newer cards.

Your claim of there being little difference is a little like saying that there is little benefit buying a 1DX over your average P&S.

They don't put busy cycles in the drivers for certain routines that tend to be used only by graphics apps so they can be faster for some stuff, but it's not like you HAVE to have a quadro or that geforce are so sketchy. If you read the Adobe stuff it was kinda misleading, ooooooh the gamer driver might not be reliable and ooo this, all nonsense, a good GeForce card did plenty of good (thankfully they made it so easy to hack them to work that you can scarcely call it a hack) an dnot everyone had the money to dump on a Quadro or wanted a Quadro and yet if you read the forums some got scared into it over nonsense.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2013, 06:25:24 PM »

dirtcastle

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Eric Nord Flickr Page
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2013, 07:14:44 PM »
Does anyone have actual evidence that Geforce cards are actually competitive with Quadro cards for heavy, long-term video/graphics editing?

I think we have established that there are comparable specs between Geforce and Quadro cards. But clearly the firmware is different. And there is also the question of durability over time, in the context of heavy video/graphics editing.

Some evidence to back up these claims would be greatly appreciated. :-)

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2013, 11:12:32 PM »
They don't put busy cycles in the drivers for certain routines that tend to be used only by graphics apps so they can be faster for some stuff, but it's not like you HAVE to have a quadro or that geforce are so sketchy. If you read the Adobe stuff it was kinda misleading, ooooooh the gamer driver might not be reliable and ooo this, all nonsense, a good GeForce card did plenty of good (thankfully they made it so easy to hack them to work that you can scarcely call it a hack) an dnot everyone had the money to dump on a Quadro or wanted a Quadro and yet if you read the forums some got scared into it over nonsense.

Like I said, I have a Quadro 4000M but wanted to the 5010M, the difference in performance is huge (30% or so) and that is in real world usage and between two Quadro cards. I have also said that I have other laptops that have GeForce etc and there is a massive difference between them.

The top GeForce are great cards, but the Quadros are better for graphics, video, 3D, engineering software etc.

Same as a 5D Mark III is an excellent camera, one of the best on the market, but is it the best for sports photographers? Not by a long shot, but it is still a very, very good camera. That is the camera industry, why do you think the graphics card industry is any different?

I do not game so I cannot comment on that.

dirtcastle - I am sure there are plenty of benchmarks out there.
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

DFM

• Power Shot G16
  • Adobe Community Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2013, 11:59:54 AM »
Bill and Harm's site at http://ppbm5.com/ is the de-facto reference for Premiere Pro hardware comparisons (there are ppbm6 and ppbm7 websites too, the latter being a subscription service, but the bulk of the data is on ppbm5)

You'll notice that the top slots are now taken by GTX cards. Adobe advised use of Quadros purely for reliability, there is no inherent performance gain over the latest GTX models but you can run a stock Quadro at 100% for 8 hours a day and have a my-job-depends-on-it expectation that the GPU won't die. Hammering a gaming card requires some care and attention around cooling etc., plus there are so many rebadged GT dies on the market (some with less attention to quality control than others) it would be unrealistic for Adobe to have officially 'approved' them all.

Yes, there are some vendors (Autodesk for example) which have Quadro-specific plugins which enhance their software; but Adobe does not.

Now that there's been time to watch how all these cards perform in real-world situations it's clear that there aren't great waves of exploding GTX-flavored silicon, even with the lowest-spec 'gaming' cards and the mobile GPUs. Because of that, with the arrival of CC you can now run the Mercury Playback Engine on any card with the minimum specs. You'll get a one-time dialog saying the card isn't on the officially-tested list, but you no longer have to hack the software.

Personally, the original question on this thread was about a computer for a club - and in that case I would go with a GTX card and spend the savings elsewhere. You won't be encoding 4k footage 8 hours a day, and if an MPE export did fail (unlikely) then there's no business penalty in rerunning the job. Maxed-out DRAM, SSDs and a fast RAID controller will give far more performance gain per dollar spent. Even things like a second monitor or a tape backup may be of more practical worth, depending on what the machine is being used for.

I am sure there are plenty of benchmarks out there.

bluegreenturtle

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2013, 12:34:51 PM »
I've used both quadro and GTX cards for premiere cs 5.5 and 6, currently have a GTX 660. 

I didn't notice anybody asking Cayenne what he plans to do - what sort of editing.  There's a huge misconception about what the CUDA acceleration actually does.  It only affects very specific functions and huge amounts of common editing features are still CPU and most important, hard disk bound.   The common things that this will help with (some) are that you don't have to re-render after color correction, applying some (and only some) effects, and some (and certainly not all) encoding tasks. 

The single biggest upgrade to premiere you can do is to have it and your content coming off SSDs.   I upgraded from a several years old bottom end GTX to a mid level Quadro to a current mid-top end GTX and there is absolutely no difference in Premiere in common editing situations. 

DFM has it right on the advice of Quadros - like most software manufacturers - they are recommended for reliability.  They are also very profitable for Nvidia.  Get any card you can afford and you'll be fine. 

DFM

• Power Shot G16
  • Adobe Community Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2013, 08:16:27 AM »
Harm has just posted a new table of suggested GTX cards for each type of processor/memory/HDD, which shows you what would be overkill  ;)

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1238382

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2013, 08:16:27 AM »