November 27, 2014, 09:29:15 AM

Author Topic: EOS-M or 100D  (Read 6430 times)

tomsop

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
EOS-M or 100D
« on: June 25, 2013, 01:16:42 AM »
Hi - I am intrigued by the anticipated firmware update to the EOS-M that may make the AF usable.  I see some people are suggesting that the current AF of the 100D is slightly better than the EOS-M.  Will the firmware improve the EOS-M over the 100D?  I am a little bit not very well informed about the technology but will the faster AF from the firmware update also improve video AF as well for the EOS-M?

As a side note, I was intrigued by the possibility of getting a EOS-M by price matching through Best Buy for the Frys EOS-M w/22MM STM lens for $349.90 but they interpreted the Fry's offering as a clearance sale so best they could do is knock 10% off their own price of $479.  I may go to Frys only if I have an opportunity to get there by 6/27 when the sale ends.   However, I am slightly nervous buying one until the firmware is firmly offered.  What if the final result is less than par - I hope they don't jack up the price again.  I suppose I should wait.  The main thing for me is if the firmware increases the video AF then I will get the EOS-M.   SHould I wait or take a look at the 100D?

canon rumors FORUM

EOS-M or 100D
« on: June 25, 2013, 01:16:42 AM »

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
Re: EOS-M or 100D
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 02:32:22 AM »
If the bulk and weight of the 100D isn't an issue, by all means go for 100D.  It has the features of EOS M + some more (OVF).  Just keep in mind that you'll not be able to match EOS M + 22mm pocketability though.  ;) 

Personally, I'll go for the EOS M because I already have a DSLR when I need one.  The only thing stopping me is the built-in flash I use for fill-in light.  I'm still waiting for some bargain package including the 90Ex though.  It'll be a good replacement for my G11.

tnargs

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 03:06:11 AM »
100D for performance, M for mini-ness and cheap. Simple choice.  ::)

yakman

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
    • Vincent's blog
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 03:18:25 AM »
I'd recommend EOS M over 100D unless you really need certain performance from DSLR.

1. Do you have another DSLR? or 100D/EOS M will be your first

2. What's your main use case?
EOS 70D 18-55 STM IS/ Sigma 50 F1.4/ 70-200 F4L IS/ 580EX II
EOS M 11-22 STM IS/ 18-55 STM IS/ 22 F2/ 40 2.8/ 90EX/ EF EOS-M adaptor
http://vincent4wang.wordpress.com

aj1575

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 03:48:31 AM »
I think you have to find out what do you like to do with the camera. Is it something you like to carry arround a lot and only like to use a small pocket, but you don't care that the handling is a bit slow (in Manual) and difficult because of the small buttons on the small EOS M body, then go with it.

If you like a camera you can work with nicely with a few dedicated buttons and a nice grip, a viewfinder, that is more natural to compose pictures, but don't mind carring a bigger package, then go for the 100D.

optikus

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 05:14:47 AM »
If I had to decide:

as an additional component to a EOS-equipment I would buy the 100D. It is small, with actual level imaging technology and fits perfect to all other components. Together with a good ef-pancake lens it is small enough to be with you anywhere and every time.

As a beginner, without other DSLR-Equipment, and if the focus issues are fixed with the new firmware - I would start with the EOS-M. The bridge to the standard-EOS-system is built with the adapter, so that later expansions of the system to DSLR-niveau are possible without having a useless body at home and having spent the money in vain.

And as a lover of ancient vintage lenses I will buy a "M" for those lenses, not usable with the standard EOS-bayonett as the Leica-mount lenses or other the various Zeiss-Contax and other, colliding with the mirror or are to far from the sensor due to EF-bayonetts construction.

Jörg
EOS 1Ds, D60, 10D, 30D*, 400D, var. manual lenses, Zeiss and other german manufacturers and some EF/EFs ... *: 30D with extended IR-range for astrophotography

adhocphotographer

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • An ad hoc photographer
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 02:34:56 AM »
100D for performance, M for mini-ness and cheap. Simple choice.  ::)

+1 and it all depends on your needs...  :)
5D MkIII & 100D
17-40L, 24L II, 24-105L, 70-200L, 500L II
-------www.adhocphotographer.com--------

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 02:34:56 AM »

Swphoto

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 03:00:31 AM »
I'm currently trying out both the SL1 and M (to use in addition to the 5D3). In most situations, the AF on the M is not nearly as bad as it has been made out to be, but if there is motion involved (even slight) sometimes it just will not lock focus (or even get close). I'm really hoping the new firmware will resolve this.

The SL1 is great all around, except that to my knowledge there's no compact ~35mm equivalent lens for it. I wish Canon would release a 22mm (or similar) EF prime. The 40mm is the lens I leave on it, but for I would prefer a wider lens for general use. I haven't used the contrast based live view AF on the SL1 in order to compare it with the M.

My wife took the SL1+40mm to a concert and loved it, and got great results. Based on what I've seen from the M's AF, I think that it would've just been frustrating to use in the same situation. One other note about the SL1 - the battery life seems to be very good - at the concert she took over 1K shots (RAW, Manual, AI Servo, No flash, no Live View, 2 second review) and the meter didn't drop at all.

I'm keeping a list of the pros/cons of each as I use them, and I plan to share it once I've used them both a bit more (and once the updated firmware is out). Assuming the improved AF doesn't disappoint, I'm almost certain the M will be replacing our S100, and the SL1 will probably find a place in the bag as well.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 03:10:09 AM by Swphoto »

paul13walnut5

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2013, 03:22:44 AM »
An EOS M will not replace a dslr in my opinion.

I have an M, really like my M, and will no doubt like it even more tomorrow (canon jp say 27/6 fw2 release apparantly)
I will have it with me times when I won't have my SLR, so it's more a complimentary product than a competitive product.

On Saturday, weather permitting, I'm shooting some jousting (for fun hobby) the m will stay at home.
Next weds I'm being flown to london to conduct some on camera media training, so the m will probably come with me.

If I was buying one camera as my only camera, I would buy an SLR.  Haven't handled or used the sl1 and so cannot rate or slate it.

You pays your money you takes your choice.

adhocphotographer

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • An ad hoc photographer
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2013, 04:44:53 AM »
My wife surprised me recently when she said she wanted an interchangeable lens camera...  it was a toss-up between the EOS-M and 100D.  In the end she preferred the 100D based on having an OVF and faster AF (to shoot tigers).

AF might well be improved on the M, but i'm not sure it will match the 100D (not using live view)...
5D MkIII & 100D
17-40L, 24L II, 24-105L, 70-200L, 500L II
-------www.adhocphotographer.com--------

fred_76

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 05:57:54 AM »
Hi!

I'm new to this forum but here are my comparison between these two cameras.

Both are APS-C sensors and light weight bodies. For sure the EOS M is smaller, lighter, especially used with pancakes lenses.

The big advantage of the EOS M over all other reflexes is its short flange to sensor distance. Design and fabricate the proper CNC adaptor and you can fit almost all lenses produced since the earliest days of photography.

The big disadvantage of the EOS M is that Canon, for unknown reasons, have obliterated most of EOS Utilities functions (when connected to a computer), mainly :
- no remote liveview on a computer screen
- no remote focus control
- no tethered shooting
- no RAW export on the computer
Therefore, persons who intended to use this body for Stop Motion movies, nature / wildlife automatic detection or timelapse shooting, astronomy photos shall considere another body.

The 100D is lightweight though slightly heavier and bigger than the EOS M. It does not suffer the limitations on EOS Utilities and works like any other EOS body. However, it has the same flange to sensor distance as the other EOS.

Fred

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 05:57:54 AM »