August 21, 2014, 05:02:13 PM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 70D Spec List [CR3]  (Read 70790 times)

Lawliet

• 7D
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS 70D Spec List
« Reply #225 on: June 28, 2013, 06:18:32 PM »

Another interesting application of Wifi is using a tablet or phone as wireless remote WITH VIEWFINDER CAPABILITY.

Or having the Profoto strobes track power - change aperture or ISO without having to adjust. Nice touch of extra freedom.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #225 on: June 28, 2013, 06:18:32 PM »

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 28, 2013, 06:53:32 PM »
I suppose the only thing MORE worthless than DxOmark's sensor scores, are their lens scores.  Absolutely worthless.

as a scientist, i rather trust standardized measurements with hundreds of cameras than individual opinions based on pixel peeping.

but that´s just me. and science. ;-)

I'm a scientist too and that's why their scores bother me.  I'm serious, do you remember when the 70-200 f/2.8L II IS lens came out?  They scored it lower than the v1.  THEN, LATER ON, about 6 months I think, the v2 suddently jumped the v1 in score.  It automagically just became a better lens out of thin air.

Which tells me when they do their lens scores, there's more to it than just the lens, unlike Hasselblad, who does it correctly. 

In science, once you have questionable data and your peers catch it, it raises red flags about all of your data.  This is very troublesome.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
Re: Canon EOS 70D Spec List [CR3]
« Reply #227 on: June 28, 2013, 07:09:12 PM »
dual pixel cmos autofocus

To me, this seems to be the same tech they started using on the 600d, but now the whole [...]

I have to recheck my 600D ... I think it was the 650D and the EOS M where it started?!

I mixed that up, it was the 650d, the Rebels are in so quick succession I'm getting confused :->

I am not sure it is just for the video crowd - think about an "adjustment mode" which makes AFMA due to the comparison between the fast phase detect (via special unit) and sensor phase+contrast AF ...u

Canon might include some auto-afma adjustment mode, but that's the same thing Focal or Magic Lantern does right now, so no big deal - and it has nothing to do with the on-sensor phase detect because that should automatically sync with the on-sensor contrast af anyway.

The whole on-sensor af is really for video people who don't mf, still shooters on tripod or people hold their dsl(r) in non-reflex p&s mode. But I admit that if Canon should include a touch screen it'd be attractive that the camera instantly focuses where you touch, anywhere on the screen.

In science, once you have questionable data and your peers catch it, it raises red flags about all of your data.  This is very troublesome.

In science, when you are caught with your pants down you either discretely fix your study or discredit your peers :-> ... btw my favorite scam site btw is the German traumflieger.de who seem to simply make up their (surprisingly precise :-)) data out of thin air, proof is that they are able to measure the 70-300L @f4 @300mm, my copy cannot do that :-p

http://www.traumflieger.de/objektivtest/open_test/canon_70_300_L_IS/overview.php

Tom W

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 28, 2013, 08:06:20 PM »
New sensor sounds promising. Hope it's cleaner.

My 5D3 is lonely. :)

Krob78

• 1D X
  • When in Doubt, Press the Shutter...
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: June 28, 2013, 08:07:23 PM »

Ha, ha!  Mine is lonely now too!
Ken

5D Mark III, 100-400mm L, EF 70-200mm f/2.8 II, EF 24-105mm L, EF 17-40mm L, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM,  Canon 580EX II, Canon 430EX II, Promaster TC 1.7x

dgatwood

• 5D Mark III
  • 300D, 400D, 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: June 28, 2013, 08:28:52 PM »
I could be wrong.  Can you cite where Canon said that Wifi was the reason for no flash on the 6D?

I don't have a source either, but I suspect that gps is more of a reason than wifi because the chip needs to look up for obvious reasons ... for the same reason the 70d seems to have a flash, but lacks gps.

GPS does not need to "look up".  If it did, then GPS would stop working when you turned the camera to take a photo in portrait orientation, and a metal-backed phone would not be able to support GPS at all, because it would not be able to see the GPS signals coming from any satellites that aren't behind you.  Radio signals just don't work that way unless you're using a directional antenna.

While I understand the convenience of a built in GPS, personally I wouldn't let that be a deal breaker compared to all of the other amazing features the camera seems to offer; you have options at least. The GPS accessory, or an external 3rd party GPS that you leave in your bag and sync up later in Lightroom.

The 3rd party GPS devices are A. one extra device to forget to turn on, B. one extra set of batteries to forget to charge, and C. an extra step at the end.  The Canon version is very clumsy to use if you're using an external flash, though I guess it also supports logging mode, in which case it becomes an extra device to forget to turn on, extra batteries to forget to charge, and an extra step at the end....  Either way, having experienced the way cameras should behave with my iPhone, I'm finding myself more and more disappointed in a company like Canon being seemingly unable to do something so simple as in-body GPS.

Yes, it would be great if that extra step wasn't needed, but I doubt you'll see GPS in a 7DmkII - if Canon wants to maintain the ruggedness and weather sealing of the original 7D, I doubt you'll see GPS or wifi given the need for the top plastic plate....

I can think of no technical reason why Canon could not mount its GPS and Wi-Fi antennas inside the display bezel like Apple does with the Wi-Fi antennas on the MacBook Pro.  It's not like the screen will ever be made of metal.  And if they find that the signal isn't good enough for some reason, there are lots of interesting tricks they could do to get around it, like adding a couple of tiny bands of metal somewhere on the front, separated by rubber seals from the rest of the body.

Dylan777

• View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.smugmug.com/browse
« Reply #231 on: June 28, 2013, 08:34:38 PM »

Mine was too...until 2nd 5 III came :)
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #231 on: June 28, 2013, 08:34:38 PM »

Krob78

• 1D X
  • When in Doubt, Press the Shutter...
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 28, 2013, 08:43:22 PM »

Mine was too...until 2nd 5 III came :)
+10  Now that's a nice combo!  :D
Ken

5D Mark III, 100-400mm L, EF 70-200mm f/2.8 II, EF 24-105mm L, EF 17-40mm L, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM,  Canon 580EX II, Canon 430EX II, Promaster TC 1.7x

schill

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 28, 2013, 10:40:19 PM »

For me, I'm much more interested in wifi ...  I have zero interest in social media and uploading images wirelessly is not important to me. 

For Commercial, Editorial and News Photographers (PJs) WiFi can be a BFD!! WiFi isn't just for uploading photos of your lunch.

Another interesting application of Wifi is using a tablet or phone as wireless remote WITH VIEWFINDER CAPABILITY. Especially for video this might help to control the camera silently - without clicking noises while setting aperture or exp. time.

yep. i love the 6D for taking remote photos of critters.

and sorry but some people are really restricted in one's thinking.
seeing beyond one's own nose often helps to get the whole picture. ;)

I really wish that this part of my original post made it into the quoted text:

"What I am interested in is wireless remote control of the camera."

:)

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: June 28, 2013, 11:47:27 PM »
I don't have a source either, but I suspect that gps is more of a reason than wifi because the chip needs to look up for obvious reasons ... for the same reason the 70d seems to have a flash, but lacks gps.

GPS does not need to "look up".  If it did, then GPS would stop working when you turned the camera to take a photo in portrait orientation, and a metal-backed phone would not be able to support GPS at all, because it would not be able to see the GPS signals coming from any satellites that aren't behind you.  Radio signals just don't work that way unless you're using a directional antenna.

The strongest GPS signals come from directly overhead, but most of the time you can see between 7 to 10 satellites spread over the sky. The LEO satellites arc across the sky in passes ranging from a few minutes to several hours, we have 6 dishes at work tracking them so it makes a great visual aid to locating them :). The more satellites you can see, the greater the accuracy of your position, but 3 gets you pretty close, and even if you turned your camera upside down and lost all signals, the GPS unit remembers its last known location.
The best camera is the one in your hands

TheBadger

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 29, 2013, 12:20:09 AM »
Finally!!! Looks good enough! Now I'm really torn between this and the 6D.
"Qui audet adipiscitur"

canonic

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 29, 2013, 01:54:16 AM »
"In-Camera HDR"
Aha, the new Canon sensor will not have very much DR. In best case same as 6D?! Personally i doubt it.
Anyway, this function "In-Camera HDR" will work, probably, only with Jpeg-s.

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #237 on: June 29, 2013, 02:19:17 AM »
"In-Camera HDR"
Aha, the new Canon sensor will not have very much DR. In best case same as 6D?! Personally i doubt it.
Anyway, this function "In-Camera HDR" will work, probably, only with Jpeg-s.
If it's like in the 5D3 then you can shoot the bracketed shots in RAW and get a preview in jpeg, then you can still use the RAW-files

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #237 on: June 29, 2013, 02:19:17 AM »

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #238 on: June 29, 2013, 02:46:51 AM »
Ok no more about that  ::)

Oh you mentioned the pub, that's another thing that's super expensive here. What was I thinking moving back?

Of course, but I get the impression that you are not back for good, so soak up the cultural benefits of being in Europe, and thank your lucky stars it is not winter, as I have seen those YT videos of what you Swedes get up to after too many schnapps! Even Anthony Bourdain partook in such a refreshing dip I believe!
You're right but it'll probably be a while before we move back. I'll keep travel back there though. Yes winter does things to us, when it's dark for three months you have to do something to cope  :D

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 29, 2013, 03:14:04 AM »
I can think of no technical reason why Canon could not mount its GPS and Wi-Fi antennas inside the display bezel like Apple does with the Wi-Fi antennas on the MacBook Pro.  It's not like the screen will ever be made of metal.  And if they find that the signal isn't good enough for some reason, there are lots of interesting tricks they could do to get around it, like adding a couple of tiny bands of metal somewhere on the front, separated by rubber seals from the rest of the body.

Do you mean the display bezel at the back or the LCD one on top?

The one at the back has a user-replaceable plastic cover to protect it, so it may be that putting an antenna there will disrupt that design.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #239 on: June 29, 2013, 03:14:04 AM »