October 25, 2014, 09:12:59 AM

Author Topic: Lightroom vs. DPP  (Read 11365 times)

CTJohn

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Lightroom vs. DPP
« on: July 05, 2013, 08:06:44 AM »
I've used Lightroom (currently version 4.4) exclusively to process my images.  A couple weeks ago, I returned from Yellowstone/Grand Tetons with quite a few shots and processed as normal.  The images were mostly taken with my new 6D and was curious to check the AF points vs. image focus, so played around a little in DPP.  What I thought I noticed was the images looked better in DPP.  I've exported the original imported RAW image from both programs, and DPP's JPEG is definitely brighter, shows more clarity, and is sharper than the JPEG export from Lightroom.  Has anyone else had this happen?  Makes me wonder if I should go back to Canon's program, although I like many features in Lightroom better.
EOS 6D * EOS 7D * EF 24/105 f/4L * EF 70-300 f/4-5.6L * EF 100 f/2.8L Macro * Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3

canon rumors FORUM

Lightroom vs. DPP
« on: July 05, 2013, 08:06:44 AM »

StepBack

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Lightroom vs. DPP
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 08:33:05 AM »
As much as the 6D, 5D3, D600 and D800 offer sharp, contrasty, high color tone under normal conditions without regard to the subject matter making family portraits and landscape pictures easier to master they aren't necessarily generating better pictures for average shooters. So when it comes to software it doesn't matter which program u use. U have to expect different manufacturers to get different results. The issue is which do u prefer. yes I have noticed variances.

jebrady03

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 08:42:45 AM »
I've been using DPP for years.  Decided to try out LR.  Didn't like it.  Even opening the RAW file showed me huge differences immediately (shot in "faithful" with sharpening at 0 from the camera).  Add to that the complexity of using LR and I quickly went back to DPP.

I think many people have bought into the hype around using LR.  IMO, yes, it's a great tool.  But for the vast majority of shots, DPP can do what LR can do (possibly better in some instances - like what you and I are both describing) and it's far simpler to use.  And, it's free.

To me, the very best features of DPP are: quick check, recipes, lens aberration correction including DLO, and simplicity!  Everyone raves about LR's library or categorization feature (or whatever it's called) but I'm happy with what DPP and the EOS utility do and I'm honestly not sure how it's different from LR but EOS utility automatically imports by date into a predetermined folder and with DPP I can batch process and save to any folder I want/create - does it get easier and more efficient than that?

GammyKnee

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 09:03:59 AM »
I love LR4 (still waiting for first bug fix release of LR5 before updating) and use it for probably 95% of my shots, but I do prefer DPP's treatment for a select few. However, in those few cases I usually do the RAW conversion in DPP then export as 16-bit TIFF for finishing in LR; I can't remember the last time I used DPP exclusively for a shot. But yeah, DPP's not to be sniffed at and the DLO stuff is rather good.

nubu

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 09:29:21 AM »
I do all my preprocessing in DPP and only a few individual extra steps in CS6. Its a smooth and fast workflow and the DLO makes wonders!
5DII/III,7D,400D,m|EF14/2.8LII,EF24/1.4LII,EF35/1.4L,EF40/2.8,EF50/1.4,MPE65/2.8,EF85/1.2L,EF100/2.8LIS,EF135/2L,EF200/2.8L,EF300/2.8LIS,EF500/4LIS,Zeiss500/8,EF1.4xIII,EF2xIII,EF8-15/4L,EFS17-55/2.8IS,EFS18-55/3.5-IS,EF24-105/4,allEFM

Pi

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Math and Photography
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 09:44:37 AM »
I've exported the original imported RAW image from both programs, and DPP's JPEG is definitely brighter, shows more clarity, and is sharper than the JPEG export from Lightroom.  Has anyone else had this happen? 

No. I find DPP to be far behind LR. In very rare cases, I can get a bit better results with DPP but those are really exceptions.

Danielle

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 09:52:45 AM »
Adobe products are an industry standard for good reason.

Thought I'd point that out. If you take the time to learn, you'll never use DPP. I haven't even used DPP at all ever. With my work I know what I'm missing... Nothing.

Download a trial and invest a little time. It's seriously not as anywhere near as complex as photoshop. But used with photoshop, it's wonderful. Capture one is also wonderful.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 09:52:45 AM »

jebrady03

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 10:03:40 AM »
is it possible that it's an industry-standard because Nikon, Sony, etcetera have very poor raw converters? And so across the entire industry a better solution is needed. Especially for someone who may end up switching brands so that they don't have to learn another proprietary software every time they switch. Additionally, I find it odd that you know for sure that DPP won't work for you but that you've never ever used it.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 10:11:21 AM by jebrady03 »

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2013, 10:23:21 AM »
Different processors apply different amounts of saturation, sharpening, etc. when processing raw images.  Most of them let you adjust the defaults to match your taste.  Canon reads in settings for picture style from your camera and adjusts accordingly, while Lightroom does not.  You have to manually select your camera setting in the Camera Calibration position of the Develop module.  It is set to Adobe Standard by default, but you can change it to whatever suits you to be the default import profile, or just for select images.

Use the one you like, or set the defaults differently if you want different processing.

jthomson

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2013, 11:04:02 AM »
I've been using DPP for years.  Decided to try out LR.  Didn't like it.  Even opening the RAW file showed me huge differences immediately (shot in "faithful" with sharpening at 0 from the camera).  Add to that the complexity of using LR and I quickly went back to DPP.

That's because DPP applies "faithful" when you import.  By default LR applies Adobe Standard.  You need to set up an import preset in Lightroom to apply the camera calibration "faithful" on import. 
I expect that this is also what the OP was seeing when he talks about the original RAW's .

optikus

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2013, 11:29:40 AM »
Tested both ...

an decided pro Capture One ...

Kind regards

Joerg
EOS 1Ds, D60, 10D, 30D*, 400D, var. manual lenses, Zeiss and other german manufacturers and some EF/EFs ... *: 30D with extended IR-range for astrophotography

Swphoto

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2013, 11:55:52 AM »
Different processors apply different amounts of saturation, sharpening, etc. when processing raw images.  Most of them let you adjust the defaults to match your taste.  Canon reads in settings for picture style from your camera and adjusts accordingly, while Lightroom does not.  You have to manually select your camera setting in the Camera Calibration position of the Develop module.  It is set to Adobe Standard by default, but you can change it to whatever suits you to be the default import profile, or just for select images.

Use the one you like, or set the defaults differently if you want different processing.

That's because DPP applies "faithful" when you import.  By default LR applies Adobe Standard.  You need to set up an import preset in Lightroom to apply the camera calibration "faithful" on import. 
I expect that this is also what the OP was seeing when he talks about the original RAW's .

Exactly. This seems like a very common mistake for those who are new to Lightroom and working with RAWs.

TonyMM

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2013, 12:16:01 PM »
I. too, would like to apply a Camera Calibration>Profile>Canon Faithful (or another such as Landscape), but as far as I can see, there is no way to "set this as a Preset" for import.  I have to import all the files, then select them under Develop and then apply the Camera Calibration Profile I want for the selected set of images - two steps I could eliminate if I could just set a default Import Preset.

Am I missing something and I can set up a Preset under Import>Basic Development ?

Thanks for any help here.

Tony M

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2013, 12:16:01 PM »

TonyMM

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2013, 12:16:56 PM »
I'm using LR5, sorry for not specifying.

Tony M

ifp

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Blog
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2013, 12:50:17 PM »
I. too, would like to apply a Camera Calibration>Profile>Canon Faithful (or another such as Landscape), but as far as I can see, there is no way to "set this as a Preset" for import.  I have to import all the files, then select them under Develop and then apply the Camera Calibration Profile I want for the selected set of images - two steps I could eliminate if I could just set a default Import Preset.

Am I missing something and I can set up a Preset under Import>Basic Development ?

Thanks for any help here.

Tony M

You'll have to make your own preset to use calibration profiles during import.

Go into the development module, and the preset section on the left panel has a + button. Change a photo to use whatever camera calibration profile you want to utilize, (bottom section on the right panel) then click that plus button. Select the Calibration checkbox, name your preset and hit the Create button. Now you can use that preset to apply a calibration profile when you're importing.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2013, 12:50:17 PM »