September 21, 2014, 02:32:24 AM

Author Topic: The Next EOS M Camera(s) [CR1]  (Read 26674 times)

Daniel Flather

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: The Next EOS M Camera(s) [CR1]
« Reply #75 on: July 08, 2013, 06:18:45 PM »
Fact: Rumo(u)rs are not fact.
| 5D3 | 8-15L | 24L II | 35L | 50L | 85L II | 100/2.8 | 200/2L | EOS M | 22 STM |

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: July 08, 2013, 06:18:45 PM »

Mantanuska

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 08, 2013, 07:48:33 PM »
Seems more likely any new M body will have dual pixel AF

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 08, 2013, 08:51:54 PM »
I, for one, fully comprehend manufacturer/retailer relationships. However, I'll never believe Canon does not have some hand in this particular move. To think B&H suddenly got a wild hair up their tookus one day and fire-saled the M and then their competition followed the piper like mice is far too improbable. This is why I initially said I'm scratching my head trying to understand this. There is something behind it -- and I know all (or some at least) will be revealed in time.

Meanwhile, while I think it would be delightful to have the M right now, I'm not taking the bait. For me, it won't get me any pictures I can't get with my current equipment.

+1

I was quite surprised by how many people came out and, at least publicly, said they were buying the M camera, either to keep, sell on later, or some other reason. It was almost as if everyone had US$300 burning a hole in their pocket which they just had to get rid of.

Sure the new M is likely to be more expensive, but then it is also likely to be better.

Look at the much more costly - some say much higher IQ - RX 100. Sony has just come out with the RX 100 ii which addresses some of the main issues customers had with version one. It is a little more expensive than v1 but many would be happy to pay that extra for improved performance.

I have never been impressed with the M, and I was not even aware you needed a mount, a this and a that. The whole point of these small things is that you stick it in your pocket and not worry about which bits you have left at home.

I will look at the M ii when it comes out, but until then, I do not care if the M I is US$ 100, I still won't buy it.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 08:53:58 PM by expatinasia »
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

gmrza

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 08, 2013, 09:11:12 PM »
I just posted a few hours ago in the $299 EOS thread that it seemed like a silly purchase; since Canon would likely be replacing it with a dual-pixel AF markII version.

I guess I was spot on with that prediction.

Sounds spot off, to me. Maybe I'm biased because I bought one for $299. But, if this rumor is true (it's CR1, just the new 100-400 has been for what, 4 years?), the next M will be an 18 MP minor update (T5i/SL1 sensor), and the 20 MP dual pixel CMOS will follow that...but when?  And 'aimed at the FF Canon shooter' sounds like a $900-1000 camera, to me.  So, $299 really doesn't sound 'silly' especially when the camera + 22mm pancake only costs $85 more than the 22mm pancake alone.  That way, the next M can be bought with the kit zoom (since the best way to buy a kit lens is in a kit), and even selling the body for $150 you'd come out ahead...  Or you'd have a cheap body for IR conversion - one almost ideally suited for it as any lens can be used.

Just my $0.02 (or $299, as the case may be).

Can't fault that logic.  I like the idea of IR conversion, since fast AF performance is usually not a factor for IR, since the main use of IR is for landscapes.

Hmm, I'm now wondering what B&H will charge to ship an EOS-M Down Under.....
Zeiss Ikon Contax II, Sonnar 50mm f/2, Sonnar 135mm f/4

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 08, 2013, 09:20:20 PM »
Why are they fire saleing them? It seems obvious to me, these kinds of cameras are set up on one production line and they have a production run of one. Once the M II comes out they won't even sell for $299 because everybody will want the new one. Canon have to get rid of the backlogged inventory or they write it off, at the moment I suspect they have the MII boxed up and ready to ship but are holding back to get ride of as many M's as they can.

Why would anybody buy one? Well it seems to me only a fool wouldn't. This is a fully compatible post 2012 APS-C sensored EOS camera, the perfect backup, or backup of your backup, depending on how anal you are. It shoots video, it uses your current lenses, it takes up practically no space or weight. It is fully functional in Group Mode with the RT flash system, the list of practical features goes on and on. Will the M II be "better"? Of course, but it won't be $299 unless Canon mess up on the stocking again and even then not for a year, and now they have the M nearly out of the way I am sure they have a much better feel for the M II market quantities.

At $299 with a decent 35mm f2.8 (equivalent) I can't see a down side to this camera bearing in mind the functionality and system integration. I was looking at the Fuji X100s or the EOS-M as a smaller camera, at less than 25% of the price for a much more useful (for us Canon shooters) interchangeable lens body the M seems like a no brainer.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

unfocused

• View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #80 on: July 08, 2013, 09:44:33 PM »
I, for one, fully comprehend manufacturer/retailer relationships.

However, I'll never believe Canon does not have some hand in this particular move. To think B&H suddenly got a wild hair up their tookus one day and fire-saled the M and then their competition followed the piper like mice is far too improbable...

Oh, I absolutely agree. I strongly suspect that EOS-M sales have been disappointing and it's highly likely that Canon offered it's dealers some special pricing if they purchased large quantities of the camera. It's entirely possible that B&H's sales rep cut them a special deal if they took a bunch of EOS-Ms off his or her hands. Given that Adorama and Amazon ran out of stock quickly after price-matching B&H makes me think they weren't planning on the fire sale at B&H.

Anyway, my point – perhaps not make clearly – was that too many people equate a retailer's actions with the actions of Canon and vice versa. And, my other point, was that people too often assume that sales by individual retailers are a reliable predictor of new camera introductions when there are dozens of other equally plausible explanations.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

TheBadger

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 08, 2013, 10:22:02 PM »
Mirrorless, advanced AF, fullframe with optical viewfinder... Those are melody to my ears!!  8) 8)
"Qui audet adipiscitur"

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: July 08, 2013, 10:22:02 PM »

gngan

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 09, 2013, 12:59:20 AM »
I, for one, fully comprehend manufacturer/retailer relationships.

However, I'll never believe Canon does not have some hand in this particular move. To think B&H suddenly got a wild hair up their tookus one day and fire-saled the M and then their competition followed the piper like mice is far too improbable...

Oh, I absolutely agree. I strongly suspect that EOS-M sales have been disappointing and it's highly likely that Canon offered it's dealers some special pricing if they purchased large quantities of the camera. It's entirely possible that B&H's sales rep cut them a special deal if they took a bunch of EOS-Ms off his or her hands. Given that Adorama and Amazon ran out of stock quickly after price-matching B&H makes me think they weren't planning on the fire sale at B&H.

Anyway, my point – perhaps not make clearly – was that too many people equate a retailer's actions with the actions of Canon and vice versa. And, my other point, was that people too often assume that sales by individual retailers are a reliable predictor of new camera introductions when there are dozens of other equally plausible explanations.

It is normal that distributors get discount by buying large quantities of product from companies but that is because how business works. Canon (many other companies) distribute their product to others so they do not need to bare the risk of over stacking their products. I think distributors are very good indicator for new product or life-cycle of a product. There are several explanation to this:
1)   Canon maybe wanting to push their product
2)   Clearing inventories for new products
3)   Too many inventories
4)   Annual report? So selling more makes it look good
If you look at Apple then most of the time the shortage of products means it’s ending its life-cycle or discontinue of the product.

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 09, 2013, 06:40:44 AM »
Mirrorless, advanced AF, fullframe with optical viewfinder... Those are melody to my ears!!  8) 8)

And impossible. Have you actually looked at the mount if an M? It is not possible to fit a larger sensor, the M series will stay APS-C for ever.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

JoeDavid

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 09, 2013, 07:27:07 AM »
Of course Canon USA is dumping these cameras.  Even BestBuy has it for $299!  The thing to worry about in the States is whether or not Canon USA is getting out of the M business.  They chose to not introduce the EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM lens in the USA.  That was a Canon USA decision (they replied to a post on their forum concerning the lens...).

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zeeography (flickr)
« Reply #85 on: July 09, 2013, 07:36:35 AM »
Of course Canon USA is dumping these cameras.  Even BestBuy has it for $299!  The thing to worry about in the States is whether or not Canon USA is getting out of the M business.  They chose to not introduce the EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM lens in the USA.  That was a Canon USA decision (they replied to a post on their forum concerning the lens...).

The 11-22mm is available for pre order in Japan. Shame you guys can't get it in the states. That seems like a poor decision by Canon USA. Especially since now more people have the EOS M from this sale.
5D II | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 f4L IS | 135L | SY 14 2.8 | Sigma 50 1.4

EOS M | 11-22 IS STM | 22 STM | FD 50 1.4

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 09, 2013, 07:55:38 AM »
The 11-22mm is available for pre order in Japan. Shame you guys can't get it in the states. That seems like a poor decision by Canon USA. Especially since now more people have the EOS M from this sale.

I hope that means they decide to launch the lens here!
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Ivar

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 09, 2013, 09:26:23 AM »
I strongly suspect that EOS-M sales have been disappointing

As there is no other plausible explanation for such a price cut I agree.

Interesting though how much Canon has learned from this i.e. how much crippled the next M will be.

What concerns the dual pixel system I take it for granted for the next M:
1) new technology is what helps to sell products
2) it is not really such a big difference, still far cry from PDAF so it doesn't add extra competition
3) most probably the technology has even bigger potential in the next iteration so the 70D version of this technology will not last too long

All that said I still don't have much interest in Canon cameras, there are much more interesting alternatives for my preferences. Only sound innovation could change that.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #87 on: July 09, 2013, 09:26:23 AM »

neech7

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 09, 2013, 11:30:14 AM »

And impossible. Have you actually looked at the mount if an M? It is not possible to fit a larger sensor, the M series will stay APS-C for ever.

I pointed that out on the forums but were ignored as folks continue to fantasize with no regard for common sense.

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zeeography (flickr)
« Reply #89 on: July 09, 2013, 11:30:22 AM »

I hope that means they decide to launch the lens here!

If you really really want it, I could ship it over. Just pay for lens and the p&p!  ;) (terms and conditions apply, limited one time offer)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 11:32:27 AM by Zv »
5D II | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 f4L IS | 135L | SY 14 2.8 | Sigma 50 1.4

EOS M | 11-22 IS STM | 22 STM | FD 50 1.4

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #89 on: July 09, 2013, 11:30:22 AM »