December 20, 2014, 06:44:49 AM

Author Topic: Any suggestion about back pack?  (Read 6181 times)

RAKAMRAK

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: Any suggestion about back pack?
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2013, 11:29:18 AM »
Hey guys thank you all for the suggestions and insights. All of you suggested very good quality bags, but may be I was unable to communicate myself fully to some of you (but I am still thankful for all the suggestions). For example I am/was not looking for something like Tamrac expedition 6x - which looks like a very nice sturdy backpack. But I already have one like that to "carry" my gear from one place to another and this type of "open me entirely to access the camera kept at bottom" is exactly what I am running away from. I am looking for a bag which can accommodate just two bodies with two lenses attached to them when I am walking around - on street roads, on the beach, in the forest etc (and only as much extra space for extra cards, battery, filters, and a remote trigger). Just that. When I am outside I rarely use flashes, and I hate to change lenses outside - so I do not carry extra lenses while actually photographing - those stays in my room (hotel or otherwise). And the two bodies are both crop bodies (40D and 50D). I somehow feel uncomfortable with the side bags - not sure why, but I feel restricted somehow in my walking. As some of you mentioned there is no bag that will meet my needs 100%. I need to do a bit of search on the suggestions of buying a trekking backpack and fitting it with padding and separators. I never thought about that. The Kata 3in1 also looks promising. So let me do some more search. Thank you again to all of you (and those who might chime in after this post).

Need to learn a lot more.
My Flickr Page

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2013, 11:29:18 AM »

odoketa

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2013, 08:02:19 PM »
I have the kata 3n1 (or maybe 2n1 if that's a size thing) - I have found the flip from backpack to 'get camera out' mode to be fairly smooth. The side clip pouches are straightforward - I haven't used it with two bodies but see no reason that wouldn't work - the interior is pretty reconfigurable, and would even allow a couple lenses to be safely stored, plus a larger one up top. You might be able to offset the bodies to get two longer lens/body combos in there. I just took a bagful of glass hiking in Denali national park, and it was a very smooth carry.

Grumbaki

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2013, 10:54:10 PM »
Ok that's more clear with your expectations...point is that they are a bit contradictory. Fast access walk around small but not messenger...argh, i hate when this happens to me!

JPAZ

• Canon 7D MK II
  • If only I knew what I was doing.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2013, 11:29:47 PM »
I love my TT Retrospective 7.  I can carry my 5Dii with the 24-105 and put either a 70-200 or a 17-40 on one side and still have an empty slot for another lens or a flash or whatever.  I'd think, with some rearrangement of the very configurable dividers that your 2 bodies each with a lens attached would go in nicely.  And, as a shoulder bag, things are always right there without slinging a sing or backpack around.

JP
5d Mkiii; Eos-M; too many lenses; 430 EXii and a whole lot of stuff

Tabor Warren Photography

• EOS M2
  • I want to go shoot something with a Canon...
    • View Profile
    • Tabor Warren Photography
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2013, 12:36:15 AM »
Hey Rakamrak,

I use the Canon Deluxe Backpack 200 EG, it's only $40, but came with some gear I purchased from the nice folks at Adorama. My setup is 1 crop, 1 FF, 3 lenses, and two speedlites, (gear list below). This thing goes with me everywhere. I always have both bodies with their lenses on and typically one speedlite and my third lens in the bag as well. This sounds similar to what you mentioned in your latter post. I hope this helps.

Cheers,
-Tabor
Bodies: 5D mk III x3, 5D mk. II, 7D, & 60D
Lenses: 17-40mm f/4L, 24mm f/1.4L, 35mm f/1.4L, 70-200mm f/2.8L ISII, 85 f/1.2L II, & 100mm f/2.8L
Flashes: 600EX-RT x2, 430 EX II, and Godox PB960 x2 | To see my work head on over to http://photosbytabor.com

paulv1958

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2013, 02:30:19 AM »
Have you considered something like a cotten carrier carry light with a lense bag. I carry two cameras & two lenses, this way when walking

One on my waist and the other in the lensbag attached to the carrier . I normally carry a 5D & a 550D, 17-40 L & 70-200 f4. The lens bag will hold two lenses or body & lens plus any filters & batteries needed for the day.

If heavy hiking I use a cotten carrier harness.  You might look a bit geekish, but the comfort and ease of carry  is worth it.

I then hang a monopod off the belt.  If it rains a poncho covers all gear.

Adam Small

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2013, 03:17:14 AM »
I highly recommend checking out the clik elite backpacks. There the best solution I found. I think the obsura might be good for you. I use the escape bag, I mainly do skateboard photography so lots of hiking to remote spots and jumping fences.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2013, 03:17:14 AM »

boateggs

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2013, 05:35:53 AM »
The Kata 3in1 also looks promising. So let me do some more search. Thank you again to all of you (and those who might chime in after this post).
Update if you get one of the Kata 3n1s (or an alternative). Still thinking about one, my backpack-style and sling are good but I am still looking for one pack to rule them all!
T3i | 15-85mm | 70-300mm L | ∑ 30mm | ∑ 50mm | 430exII

RAKAMRAK

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2013, 04:52:40 PM »
The Kata 3in1 also looks promising. So let me do some more search. Thank you again to all of you (and those who might chime in after this post).
Update if you get one of the Kata 3n1s (or an alternative). Still thinking about one, my backpack-style and sling are good but I am still looking for one pack to rule them all!

I surely will... In fact whatever I get finally I will update with photos (how I am fitting my gear). Thanks for all the suggestions and helps.
My Flickr Page

shining example

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2013, 08:06:17 PM »
I'm not sure I've understood your requirements correctly, but might the f-stop Kenti work for you?

http://fstopgear.com/product/mountain/kenti

(It's a great bag, why weren't they making it in that fantastic blue colour when I bought mine?!  :'()

RAKAMRAK

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2013, 05:07:29 PM »
As I promised earlier, here are the photos. I got the Case Logic KSB 102 (price was a little less than Kata). I have only crop sensor cameras (40D and 50D) and the largest (or longest) lens that I have is Tamron 70-300 VC USD. The other lens is Tokina 12-24 DX f/4. As you can see the bag accommodate both pretty nicely. In the photos you can see that I kept one of the cameras with the 70-300 VC USD in the lower part of the bag (I can access this camera from the side of the bad through a zippered opening) and the other camera with the Tokina lens in the top chamber of the bag (with lots and lots of room to spare). Although I did not photograph, but I can confirm that the top chamber can easily accommodate the camera+Tamron combination as well. The lower chamber along with the camera can accommodate one or two flashes and one or two more lenses. The bag is pretty deep so any of these extra lenses can be as long as the Tamron 70-300. Most of all, now I can access one camera independent of the other. Both have their separate exit doors in the bag (that was my main issue).

PS: I could not follow any of the other fantastic bags suggested by you guys (for the time being) mainly because of the budgetary constraints. In future when this bag dies I will probably get one of those more strongly built alternatives (not that this one is not strongly built).
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 07:10:22 PM by RAKAMRAK »
My Flickr Page

RAKAMRAK

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2013, 05:08:48 PM »
Last photo.... By the way if any of you have any question about this bag, I shall be happy to answer.
My Flickr Page

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2013, 06:09:58 PM »
I use the somewhat similar Tamrac Evolution 9 when I need to carry a ton of gear.
Here's the link http://www.tamrac.com/products/evolution9/

My personnal answer is yeah you can but not with lens mounted. The top compartiment has a net that is usually for small things but that can also be used to tuck up a second body. Never had any problem. The rest of the bag is cool.

But I wouldn't put the body in the top compartiment if it didn't have this net with elastic "waistband".

I've got this Tamrac (or at least, looks as close to the same as to not matter much) and it's quite good. Unfortunately for me I tend to carry more than I actually need, and so it ends up being packed full. While it's quite comfortable to wear, even when packed full (use the waist and chest straps), it's still not quite perfect for me. I really like to have things easily accessible to switch out a lens, or in the case of my Mamiya RB67, a way to store it for walking easily, and then be able to pull it out quickly and easily. I'm thinking of getting one of the ThinkTank beltpacks, although I'll need to go to my local camera shop to really get a good feel for them. Unfortunately good quality can cost quite a bit :\
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2013, 06:09:58 PM »

RAKAMRAK

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2013, 07:11:43 PM »
The Case Logic KSB 102 looks like a Tamrac Evolution 9 copy.... :)
My Flickr Page

RAKAMRAK

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2013, 07:17:39 PM »
I use the somewhat similar Tamrac Evolution 9 when I need to carry a ton of gear.
Here's the link http://www.tamrac.com/products/evolution9/

My personnal answer is yeah you can but not with lens mounted. The top compartiment has a net that is usually for small things but that can also be used to tuck up a second body. Never had any problem. The rest of the bag is cool.

But I wouldn't put the body in the top compartiment if it didn't have this net with elastic "waistband".
.........Unfortunately good quality can cost quite a bit :\

True, good material and manufacturing is costly. But it is also true that sometimes the margin is too much - just because of the brand name (which is partially correlated with past quality and the promise of good quality in future).
My Flickr Page

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2013, 07:17:39 PM »