December 20, 2014, 06:51:44 AM

Author Topic: How good is 70D AF system compared to 50D?  (Read 7872 times)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: How good is 70D AF system compared to 50D?
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2013, 05:40:58 PM »
Sounds familiar... Which movie?

Hint: male lead was an Australian actor, first name 'toffee candy bar', last name 'book to record monetary transactions'.

;)
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2013, 05:40:58 PM »

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2013, 06:04:40 PM »
I really just want to upgrade for autofocus, so anyone that is familiar with the 7D's system, how good will 70D be compared to 50D?

Let's see - my early release of the 70D tells me - oops can not say anything since Canon will cut off my xxx if do.

You will need to wait and see what the review tell us.  Until then, it is simply guesses.  My guess is that the AF will be better than the 50D by a good bit and slightly ahead of the 7D.  Remember you heard it hear first.  If I am wrong, you can cut my pay in half; if I am correct, how about doubling my salary  ::)

pj1974

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • A selection of my photos (copyright)
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2013, 07:22:46 PM »

Hint: male lead was an Australian actor, first name 'toffee candy bar', last name 'book to record monetary transactions'.

;)

Extra hint: I'm an Australian, but it wasn't me! [Process of elimination.... only 21 million people to go]
I'm not a brand-fanatic. What I do appreciate is using my 7D and 350D cameras along with a host of lenses & many accessories to capture quality photos, and share with friends.

Pandypix

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2013, 06:31:51 AM »

;)

Extra hint: I'm an Australian, but it wasn't me! [Process of elimination.... only 21 million people to go]
? Heath Ledger. No candy bar in Australia that I know of but now we can eliminate me and Heath if my guess was wrong
Jill
70D + a few lenses (500D up for sale hubby said it had to go too much clutter)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2013, 11:11:08 AM »
? Heath Ledger. No candy bar in Australia that I know of but now we can eliminate me and Heath if my guess was wrong

We have a winner...for the male lead, at least.  Now...what's the film?  BTW, the actor is from Oz, but the candy is from the US: the Heath Bar.

The part of Cameron was played by the actor that played an alien named Tommy in sitcom named based on our place in the solar system. 

Pandypix

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2013, 11:36:59 PM »

We have a winner...for the male lead, at least.  Now...what's the film?  BTW, the actor is from Oz, but the candy is from the US: the Heath Bar.

The part of Cameron was played by the actor that played an alien named Tommy in sitcom named based on our place in the solar system.

10 things I hate about you :) not you but this is the movie
I wonder how many months I will play trivia in the forum before I get my new camera?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 11:41:15 PM by Pandypix »
Jill
70D + a few lenses (500D up for sale hubby said it had to go too much clutter)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2013, 04:42:10 AM »
Well played!!   ;D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2013, 04:42:10 AM »

justsomedude

• Canon 6D
  • 5D3, 6D and 7D2
    • View Profile
    • AK Photo - Denver Photographer
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2013, 04:23:32 PM »
The 7Dmkii will likely be out of my price range.. But if the 70D has the same sensor as original 7D I assume it'll still be really good

I think the 70D will have a better sensor than the 7D, at least based on the specs:

7D
  • 18MP
  • 100-6400 ISO (standard)
  • 12,800 ISO (expanded)
  • WiFi: NO
  • 3" fixed screen
  • 920,000 dot LCD
  • 8 fps burst

70D
  • 20.2MP
  • 100-12800 ISO (standard)
  • 25,600 ISO (expanded)
  • WiFi: BUILT IN
  • 3" fixed screen
  • 1,040,000 dot LCD
  • 7 fps burst

Based on these specs, I think your 70D is a better by.  And not wanting to start a holy war, I will say that I've never been impressed with the 7D (you can look back to some of my first posts here on this forum), and truly believe it is a lemon

I'm one of the few (probably <5% of users) who never got a sharp photo from a 7D; and started hating photography because of it.  Yes, I'm a pixel-peeper, and yes, I'm an OCD photographer.  I want my images to be tacky sharp.  So maybe I'm not a fair example of the average 7D shooter.

But in my limited experience with only three 7D bodies, each one failed me with its poor AF.  Pretty much every shot I got from a 7D body resembled the infamous Darwin Wiggett "melted-hay" photos at 100% view.  After months of swapping bodies with Canon Irvine, I finally parted ways with my 7D.  Since that moment I felt as if the heavens opened, and I became a sane photographer once again!  :P

However, I am excited about the prospects of a 7D MKII based on recent rumors posted here on CR, and anxiously await its announcement.  I'm sure any AF issues have been resolved in the 4 years since the original 7D launched. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2013, 04:23:32 PM »