August 29, 2014, 08:23:45 PM

Author Topic: Stay with Canon?  (Read 17947 times)

J.R.

• 1D X
  • A Speedlight Junkie!
    • View Profile
Re: Stay with Canon?
« Reply #105 on: July 15, 2013, 04:51:54 AM »
Yep, it's getting clearer a the time: those who have an overwhelming desire to under expose should by Nikon.

Temple guy seems to hav found some followers who love under exposing  ;D
Light is language!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #105 on: July 15, 2013, 04:51:54 AM »

paul13walnut5

« Reply #106 on: July 15, 2013, 05:02:08 AM »
i just shoot this proud canon fan today....

I got a shot of his pal answering the OP's question...

Tanja

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 15, 2013, 05:03:17 AM »
Yep, it's getting clearer a the time: those who have an overwhelming desire to under expose should by Nikon.

Temple guy seems to hav found some followers who love under exposing  ;D

lol +1....

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #108 on: July 15, 2013, 11:39:28 AM »
i used Canon and Nikon concurrently last year. A 5D2 and D700. D700's AF & ISO performance are amazing. The DR latitude while editing RAW on Lightroom is stunning. I am no professional photographer, hence did many simple exposure mistakes. Using D700 reduce my worries on this department a lot. One example is ISO/DR related issues I encountered on Canon:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gundul/7957608758/#sizes/l/

Camera    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
Exposure    0.01 sec (handheld)
Aperture    f/1.4
Focal Length    35 mm
ISO Speed    100
Exposure Bias    0 EV

I put a gradual exposure compensation on LR started about one third of the frame to the top. The noise is unpleasant.

On the other hand, the colors from D700 turned me off. Yes I use Lightroom, but I don't want to depend on it to the the color that I like. Hence I sell the D700 out, along with the lenses (50/1.4 AFD, 85/1.8AFD, T24-135 and a 70-210), and buy a used 1D2.

My conclusion now is, I am not going to buy another Canon camera unless its sensor has 14 DR. 5D4? 5D5? I dont know. But Canon definitely wont see my money on Camera department.

You can clean up the banding, both horizontal and vertical, with Topaz DeNoise. You can also recover DR with its black point adjustment feature as well. The unsightly dark background in your sample photo could become incredibly clean and very appealing with about five minutes of work or less in DeNoise 5.
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 5D III | Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: SBIG STT-8300M | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

Skulker

• 7D
  • PP is no vice and as shot is no virtue
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 15, 2013, 04:12:56 PM »

Exactly.

but why underexpose? I'm not a big fan of "expose to the right" but it has its place.
Its always best to get a shot as good as you can in camera.
Some people seem to think that LR or PS will make up for a poor quality photographer.
If you debate with a fool onlookers can find it VERY difficult to tell the difference.

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #110 on: July 15, 2013, 04:39:20 PM »

Exactly.

but why underexpose? I'm not a big fan of "expose to the right" but it has its place.
Its always best to get a shot as good as you can in camera.
Some people seem to think that LR or PS will make up for a poor quality photographer.

Why underexpose ?

There are numerous scenarios where this may be required, but by far the most useful one is when:

You want to make a Canon sensor look bad.

It is a key weapon in the armoury of wandering Nikon Missionaries.

;D

ishdakuteb

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 15, 2013, 04:44:37 PM »

Exactly.

+1 on your thought, "some people seem to think that LR or PS will make up for a poor quality photographer"... i sometimes use ETTR technique, but not in number of cases such as following image linked from my-face

« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 04:47:41 PM by ishdakuteb »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #111 on: July 15, 2013, 04:44:37 PM »

gundul

• Power Shot G16
  • Serious Amateur. Seriously An Amateur.
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #112 on: July 15, 2013, 11:27:19 PM »
Yes I am a poor quality photographer. A good one will do SOOC only. Yeah right...
5D2 35L 85/1.8 135L 1.4xIIL  24-105L  1D2 T28-75/2.8 T70-300VC  300V 40/2.8  ST-E2 580exII 430exII   Takumar50/1.4 Fujinon50/1.6

ishdakuteb

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 16, 2013, 01:12:53 AM »
Yes I am a poor quality photographer. A good one will do SOOC only. Yeah right...

not always sooc since it is normally flat anyways except when having a location with good angles of light.  however, the image i posted it up there could be considered as sooc since what i did was noise reduction, sharpen and adding grain back after that if i remember correctly (processed 250 images after getting back from a trip; therefore, no joy to do the details.) want a proof? let me know so that i can post it somewhere when i am getting back home on thursday (note:  this image was shot in raw with 5d mark iii and 24-105mm, not only this but there are few of them were shot at the same location...)

note:  my camera is set to faithful picture style, rgb color space, no setting on any enhancements, etc... so what i see in the lcd is very very close to what i get.  for histogram information, i use rgb histogram to monitor white balance... as if you wonder how i shoot.

here is another image from the same trip that i was trying to edit (after on the right.  i think this image was shot with 7d and 70-200mm IS II) and posted it up to look for opinions from friends...

« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 01:42:37 AM by ishdakuteb »

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 17, 2013, 11:29:54 AM »
After 4 years using Canon gear i am thinking of selling all my stuff and switch over to Nikon to get better sensor performance.  The lenses of Nikon are not as good as Canon's but with the Nikon sensor the (DSLR+Lens combi) scores are much better. "It's the combi that makes the picture"

What do you all think?
Keep waiting till Canon gets up (again) with Nikon?

I think this can take a long time... Maby never... Or are there any rumors canon wil get back on top soon?

I went through this decision about 6 months and decided to stay with Canon.  In many cases Canon won by a small margin.  Strongest areas for Canon - long glass, strongest areas for Nikon - Wide Angles and to less extent flash

Now before everyone starts telling me I am wrong, these are my opinions.  Opinions are personal, like religion, and since I don't want to start a holy war here, please respect my opinion.  If you have a different opinion, please share it as your opinion.  After all, some of us like Chocolate more than Vanilla while others prefer vanilla.

Bodies: 1Dx vs D4.  Slight edge to 1Dx.
5D3 vs D800.  Unless you need ultra high MP, 5D3 is the winner.

Glass: Long glass - Canon is winner
          TS - Canon
          Intermediate zooms: 70-200 Canon, 70-300 Canon, 24-70 toss up (maybe),
         WA: without question Nikon
          Flash: Nikon

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #115 on: July 17, 2013, 11:33:19 AM »
^------- Canon flash has Equaled Nikon flash. Its a wash at best and the RT system makes Nikon look bad at worst. I'm glad I didn't switch over during the D700 days for the flash.

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 17, 2013, 11:42:30 AM »
After 4 years using Canon gear i am thinking of selling all my stuff and switch over to Nikon to get better sensor performance.  The lenses of Nikon are not as good as Canon's but with the Nikon sensor the (DSLR+Lens combi) scores are much better. "It's the combi that makes the picture"

What do you all think?
Keep waiting till Canon gets up (again) with Nikon?

I think this can take a long time... Maby never... Or are there any rumors canon wil get back on top soon?

I went through this decision about 6 months and decided to stay with Canon.  In many cases Canon won by a small margin.  Strongest areas for Canon - long glass, strongest areas for Nikon - Wide Angles and to less extent flash

Now before everyone starts telling me I am wrong, these are my opinions.  Opinions are personal, like religion, and since I don't want to start a holy war here, please respect my opinion.  If you have a different opinion, please share it as your opinion.  After all, some of us like Chocolate more than Vanilla while others prefer vanilla.

Bodies: 1Dx vs D4.  Slight edge to 1Dx.
5D3 vs D800.  Unless you need ultra high MP, 5D3 is the winner.

Glass: Long glass - Canon is winner
          TS - Canon
          Intermediate zooms: 70-200 Canon, 70-300 Canon, 24-70 toss up (maybe),
         WA: without question Nikon
          Flash: Nikon

When I jumped from Olympus to Canon, I looked at Canon and Nikon. I went Canon because I liked thier long glass and greatly prefered thier user interface. At the time I thought that differences in IQ, DR, and ISO were minimal and besides, as soon as another camera comes out, yours is out of date..... but the glass is forever. To me, the camera is a consumable item that will eventually be worthless and the glass is an investment.
The best camera is the one in your hands

Skulker

• 7D
  • PP is no vice and as shot is no virtue
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 18, 2013, 03:33:03 PM »

If this is supposed to be a reply to my post.

1) I never said you were a "poor quality photographer"
2) I never said a "good one will do SOOC only"

I have no opinion on the first, I'm not aware of having seen one of your photo's, and certainly don't agree with the second.

If you debate with a fool onlookers can find it VERY difficult to tell the difference.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #117 on: July 18, 2013, 03:33:03 PM »

Screwdriver

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 19, 2013, 07:32:21 PM »
The whole switching systems thing is damn funny to me. When I shot film there really wasn't an issue, you shot Nikon F bodies. With digital, I have seen the back and forth technology battle between the two and imho, there really hasn't been a winner as soon as Nikon got FX. Canon is a really great system and so is Nikon, and switching is just wasting money.....

Rockets95

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 19, 2013, 09:35:17 PM »

What is H & G?

First post on CR forums, "I'm thinking of ditching Canon and moving to Nikon."  Hello & Goodbye.

Thanks - I was going to ask too.
7D, WFT-E5A, 70-200 F/2.8L IS II, 24-105 F/4.0L, 10-22 F/3.5-4.5, 580EX-II, Wife has: 5D2, 70-200 4.0L IS, 100 2.8L IS macro, 24-105 F/4.0L IS, 17-40 F/4.0L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #119 on: July 19, 2013, 09:35:17 PM »