December 21, 2014, 08:43:58 PM

Author Topic: Lost inspiration  (Read 5812 times)

Hobby Shooter

Re: Lost inspiration
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2013, 01:59:00 PM »
It happens, but the question is do you continue to revel in it? Try shooting something you've never done before and that usually kicks it back in.
Just did with the macro today, don't have a clue on how to do it, but it was a lot of fun. I feel better already  ;D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2013, 01:59:00 PM »

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2013, 02:18:34 PM »
@HobbyShooter,

Doing sports last year absolutely destroyed me.  I haven't been out once this summer shooting for fun, because I just don't want to.  In years past I didn't do it so heavily, but this past year I don't even want to know how many games/matches I shot.  It happens to everyone.  Some come back and unfortunately, some don't.  I have a feeling you'll come back.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2013, 03:40:47 PM »
@HobbyShooter,

Doing sports last year absolutely destroyed me.  I haven't been out once this summer shooting for fun, because I just don't want to.  In years past I didn't do it so heavily, but this past year I don't even want to know how many games/matches I shot.  It happens to everyone.  Some come back and unfortunately, some don't.  I have a feeling you'll come back.
Thanks man, it means a lot coming from you. I think I understand your situation. Regardless of what it is, one can just get saturated sometimes. With your talent and skills, it would be a waste if you didn't find the passion for the fun part of it again. I look forward to see more of your work. I've been through your flickr many times already and look forward to see you add to it.

My luck arrived this morning with that L  macro arriving, although I guess that"s not something that will happen every day... Imagine if it could  though, if I can make a wish for tomorrow it would be the 50 1.2 ::)

J

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2013, 04:05:45 PM »
Thanks Hobby Shooter,

I appreciate the kind words.  I am hard on myself though, and maybe that's what burned me out, but I still think I can improve drastically on what I shot last year, both in real shooting and post-processing.  I want to get the best I can be, and I have a lot to go, but that makes it fun too.  I don't want to do it to make me look good, I want to do it for the players and parents.  The photos mean more to them than me.

Glad to read about your lens coming!  I'm slowly getting the itch back.  I don't have any events until 9/7, so I just may pull out my EOS-3 and go do some film for a bit, then maybe some night photography. 

Well, enjoy!  Good luck.

Brett
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

Valvebounce

• 1D X
  • Still can't use most of it to it's full potential!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2013, 04:33:46 AM »
I have just moved continent, from Asia back to Europe. We've been home for just about a month now and I have barely touched my camera since. As my identity here indicates photography is a hobby, not my profession. I normally like portraits and street/travel.

Before you went to Asia, were you doing a lot of photography?

My guess is that since moving back "home", you've reverted to your "home self" which existed prior to photography.

Try to find a theme to pursue in all of the local towns or all of the towns within 50-100km. That'll get you out and traveling. Try something like taking photographs of all the pubs within said distance.

Hi Hobby Shooter.
I don't know if you have tried this before but on the subject of a theme visit an old part of town, narrow streets and alleys, the old commercial type area is good. Look up, I found that there are all manner of interesting subjects in this type of area, not only architectural, but industrial items long since forgotten. A jib protruding from the first floor of a shop, think it was a Jessops camera shop, begging one to theorise as to the original purpose of the shop. Was it a butchers, perhaps a bakers? Another I found was feint advertising remaining on a wall. Yes others have seen them but I know a lot hadn't as we used some of them as clues for a walking treasure hunt and people were amazed to see them.
Alternately do you have another hobby?
Mine is owning classic cars, I am restoring a Triumph Spitfire. I use my first DSLR A 300D which has been upgraded twice and has no real value left as a tool to document the restoration therefore I have an excuse to take at least a couple of pics when a milestone is reached or something unusual occurs or I achieve something difficult.
Then there are the days when I am just not in the mood to do either of my hobbies! Give it a while and one of the hobbies beckons.

May your enthusiasm return soon, but not knock you of your feet when it does!  ;D

Cheers Graham.

7D + Grip, 40D + Grip, 20D, EF-S 17-85 Kit lens, EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS II USM, EF 2x III, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 C, 50mm f1.8, 550EX some Filters Remotes Macro tubes Tripod heads etc!
20D, BG-E2N, 17-85mm, 50mm are pre loved. :)
(300D Saved a holiday, E-FS 18-55 Cosina 100-300 retired)

shutterwideshut

• EOS M2
  • IR and Long Exposure junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2013, 06:26:11 AM »
I have just moved continent, from Asia back to Europe. We've been home for just about a month now and I have barely touched my camera since. As my identity here indicates photography is a hobby, not my profession. I normally like portraits and street/travel.

So sorry for the late reply. I have seen the original post of yours many days ago but failed to reply in time. For an Asian like me, Europe is definitely one of the places in my bucket list. Europe is full of history with many interesting architecture and beautiful places to shoot.  Well, you live in Europe and the thing is, from where you live things seem ordinary because many of what you look at are familiar to you but if you approach those like a tourist then perhaps you can portray such mundane things into extra ordinary. In my case, I am a Filipino who started off my photographic journey in Singapore as this is the place where I currently live and work. Just a few months ago, I went home to Manila and joined a Canon photowalk back with my fellow Filipino photographers. I was surprised that in Manila, photographers are required shooting permits by authorities to even shoot urban structures in public places!  ??? :o This experience opened my eyes to how lucky I am to have quite a lot of shooting opportunities back in Singapore. I neither worry about my personal safety nor do I get anxious about security approaching me and asking for any shooting permit whenever I shoot urban structures in Singapore.  ::)

Maybe I have higher demands on myself now and am afraid to take bad pictures.

Well, you have grown better as a photographer and this is the reason why you have high expectations in yourself.  ;)

I hope to get it back soon enough though. I just wanted to share this with you guys here. Any thoughts of course are welcome. Do you lose inspiration sometimes? What do you do to get it back?

Well, being in a rut is normal. After all, we are all human beings!  :) I do hope you will find your sync soon! Cheers!  ;)
My Flickr
5D3 ı 7D ı 50D(IR) ı 20D(IR) ı TS-E24 f/3.5L II ı 17-40 f/4L ı 24-70 f/2.8L II ı 70-200 f/4L IS ı 100 f/2.8L  Macro IS ı 40 f/2.8 ı 50 f/1.4 ı 85 f/1.8 ı 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 ı Lensbaby Composer Pro ı Rokinon 8mm ı 600EX-RT/ST-E3-RT

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2013, 12:58:25 AM »
Hi, sorry I haven't gotten back for a while. Been busy settling back here in Sweden. Those are very kind words from you guys.

Brett, hope you went out shooting some film and challenge your creativity.

Graham, I have thought of a couple of other projects based in town here. Especially one that I hope to realise as soon as I get back to work in a few weeks, I will spend some time walking the streets on Sundays putting it together over the course of a few weeks. I have another hobby which is golf, but won't find much time for it now. I did some stuff back in Asia, shooting courses and wrote a few articles that I got published (with some of my photos). Hope to get some more of that done, but the only work I've done on that has been in Asia.

Shutterwideshut, thanks for your words. Interesting about Manila. I've been there only once and it was on a quick business trip. Staying at Shangri La Edsa, ten minutes limo ride to the office and then back for a couple of days. Was alone so I didn't really fancy going out in the evenings. But the town looked interesting and I hope to be able to go back one day. You have inspired me and advised med on the long exposures. However, Sweden is located far north and this time of year the sun sets very late and rises very early (3.30 or so) so to catch the golden hour is not that easy. I am normally asleep by then. And I haven't invested in those expensive 10 stop filters you got so daylight is pretty much out of the question for me when it comes to long exposures. I'll wait a couple of months for it to get darker.

Take care all and thanks for the nice words and interesting discussion.

thanks
J

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2013, 12:58:25 AM »