October 25, 2014, 04:03:22 PM

Author Topic: Why don't Canon update their bodies?  (Read 8330 times)

Flake

Why don't Canon update their bodies?
« on: September 05, 2011, 06:03:30 AM »
Nikon have regularly updated their pro level bodies, the D2 was followed by the D2x and the D3 by the D3s, this has kept the product line fresh and also given them new sales as users trade up.

By contrast the 1D MkIII badly in need of a refresh has had disspointing sales, yet a refresh with a new higher resolution screen, the improved sensor from the 5D MkII might just have added something to a product which is looking very tired.  It's not as if the changes would have cost much to implement, they're already in the parts bin, in fact the standardisation of both lines might actually have saved money.

canon rumors FORUM

Why don't Canon update their bodies?
« on: September 05, 2011, 06:03:30 AM »

akiskev

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • My flickr gallery
Re: Why don't Canon update their bodies?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 06:46:00 AM »
I wonder what portion of people asking for a new 1Ds is actually going to buy a new 1Ds when it comes out.
Flickr | Canon EOS 3 | Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
EF 17-40mm f/4L | EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS | EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS | EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L
Zeiss 35mm f/2.4 | Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 | Zeiss 85mm f/1.4 | Zeiss 200mm f/2.8 | Zeiss 80-200 f/4

Ricku

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 09:05:50 AM »
Because the earthquake and tsunami messed up their factories and production.

That is the only reason I can think of.

The 5D3 should have been out already.

ngeht

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 09:20:20 AM »
I wonder what portion of people asking for a new 1Ds is actually going to buy a new 1Ds when it comes out.
Regarding 1Ds it would be rather a question when any 1Ds will be available. :) I haunted for my 1Ds for half of year. And, finally, it appeared "in stock" @ B&H just for two days. it appeared Saturday and disappeared back Tuestday morning. Hopefully, I was fast enough to buy it.

elusive1

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 09:37:55 AM »
Because Canon has recouped all their R&D, marketing and other huge costs from Digic 4 and they want to keep the profits going for as long as possible, which makes complete sense from a corporate standpoint.

It's not good for you who wants an improved camera, but good for the company who is raking in profits.

Plus, Nikon is set to do a round of major announcements in September, so Canon is probably going to wait a month so they can upstage them, hopefully. With Sony and Nikon announcing / announced a numbered of goodies, I couldn't see Canon waiting too much longer.

kubelik

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • a teatray in the sky
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 10:25:05 AM »
Nikon have regularly updated their pro level bodies, the D2 was followed by the D2x and the D3 by the D3s, this has kept the product line fresh and also given them new sales as users trade up.

By contrast the 1D MkIII badly in need of a refresh has had disspointing sales, yet a refresh with a new higher resolution screen, the improved sensor from the 5D MkII might just have added something to a product which is looking very tired.  It's not as if the changes would have cost much to implement, they're already in the parts bin, in fact the standardisation of both lines might actually have saved money.

I have a couple of issues with this:

1.  if you get in a habit of releasing mid-cycle refreshes ("N"-type bodies), people will come to expect them.  that sets a dangerous precedent (from a moneymaking perspective).  3 years is a long time to hold out, so people who need something close to that will bite the bullet and buy.  1.5 years is not such a long time to hold out, so you'll basically have folks that keep pushing off their purchase in the hopes of something better soon to come.

2.  I applaud canon for not taking a "parts-bin" solution to any of its top-line bodies.  these are cameras that canon invests heavily in to build from the ground up (especially the flagship camera) and that's precisely what we're paying for.  I'd feel totally gypped as a consumer if canon were ever to pull what Ford did when they purchased Jaguar, releasing supposedly premium luxury vehicles with plenty of poorly manufactured bargain-bin parts (door handles on the ford jags, anyone?)

at the end of the day, however, Canon does have to produce the goods.  if they make us wait this long, AND the specs on the new cameras are subpar to what nikon and sony put out ... well, general furor would be justified.  but at the time being, our own impatience has nothing to do with the astuteness of the canon business model.  I think they're playing this release cycle very well, and I too am looking for a trump-Nikon type of play to happen in September or October.

TexPhoto

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 11:09:54 AM »
"Why don't Canon update their bodies?"  One word: massive conspiracy.  The Japanese want us to believe they are recovering form a massive earthquake/tsunami/nuclear disaster, the likes of which the world has never seen.   

But I think they are really just sitting around taking 40-50MP pictures of each other's drinking games with 5DIII, 5D IVs, EOS 1D mark 4-5s, maybe even 7s.  They are shooting birthday photos of their kids with 100+ autofocus sensors, and like 20 frames per second. All the while laughing at us.

They are shooting hilarious 4K 120fps videos of their cats for their own version of you tube that make ours look like a joke.

Do I have evidence of this? Yes! Almost as much evidence as others have that the 5D3 was due out last year.

The United States is country of action.  We must take action as only our generation can.  Perhaps an American company could rally and produce the new products we need?  (That was sarcasm, I was just testing you.)  No, what we need is a massive wave of Blog posts and forum threads that will torment them into sharing their precious new DSLRs. Don't go outside and shoot with the cameras you have.  Thats' just playing into thier hands.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 11:09:54 AM »

Gothmoth

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 11:17:04 AM »
flake.. any chance you are the 22 year old guy who comes to my shop every week and asks for a 5D MK3 but has not enough money to buy a 77mm polarizer?    ;)

Flake

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 11:45:42 AM »
flake.. any chance you are the 22 year old guy who comes to my shop every week and asks for a 5D MK3 but has not enough money to buy a 77mm polarizer?    ;)

Well I'm no longer 22 (unfortunately!) not a guy! (fortunately!) and I have a Hoya Pro1 77mm polariser & from the spelling I'm guessing that you're in the US?

chrisnemes

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2011, 01:20:09 PM »
I think Canon have had their plans unexpectedly turned with customers buying DSLRs just to shoot video. I know many who did just that.
I think it's very likely that they are building a whole new strategy addressing just the EF-mount video segment. So I don't think there will be many improvements on the video side in the upcoming 7Ds and 5Ds, but rather shifting these new customers towards a dedicated line of products where they could be a bit more spoiled with video facilities.

In my opinion, it would be financially unwise to invest in a DSLR just to use it at half of what it was meant to be, either video or photo. If you're just a photographer or just a videographer and you were to buy 5D III OR 7D II DSLR with high performance photo capabilities AND high performance video capabilities, you would be practically paying for what you don't need.

YoukY63

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2011, 07:20:41 PM »
"Why don't Canon update their bodies?"  One word: massive conspiracy.  The Japanese want us to believe they are recovering form a massive earthquake/tsunami/nuclear disaster, the likes of which the world has never seen.   

But I think they are really just sitting around taking 40-50MP pictures of each other's drinking games with 5DIII, 5D IVs, EOS 1D mark 4-5s, maybe even 7s.  They are shooting birthday photos of their kids with 100+ autofocus sensors, and like 20 frames per second. All the while laughing at us.

They are shooting hilarious 4K 120fps videos of their cats for their own version of you tube that make ours look like a joke.

Do I have evidence of this? Yes! Almost as much evidence as others have that the 5D3 was due out last year.

The United States is country of action.  We must take action as only our generation can.  Perhaps an American company could rally and produce the new products we need?  (That was sarcasm, I was just testing you.)  No, what we need is a massive wave of Blog posts and forum threads that will torment them into sharing their precious new DSLRs. Don't go outside and shoot with the cameras you have.  Thats' just playing into thier hands.
Holly crap! How did you learn all about that?!? Do you understand now that I have to kill you and anybody that was passing through this forum...  ;) :P
The truth is that I think Canon is ready to release new bodies anytime. But they wait for Nikon. Because Nikon was more badly hurt by the earthquake and need more time to recover. Japanese companies are not american companies, they do not use such opportunity to hurt competition, as they found easily an agreement in the way to slow down production this summer to avoid an electric black out in East Japan. :)
Furthermore, if Canon announces today a new body and Nikon presents its new line 6 months later, these one will look like more "modern" and may appear better in costumers' head just because of the later release.
Canon 5D MkII + 24-105mm f/4L + 70-200mm f/4L IS + 35mm f/1.4L + 85mm f/1.2L + 135mm f/2L + Sigma 50mm f/1.4EX + Samyang 14mm f/2.8

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2011, 10:01:12 PM »
No, what we need is a massive wave of Blog posts and forum threads that will torment them into sharing their precious new DSLRs. Don't go outside and shoot with the cameras you have.  That's just playing into their hands.

An interesting idea, but I have a better one. Since Canon is purposely holding back all this incredible new technology just to torment a handful of people posting on forums, the best way to spur action would be for everyone to quit posting. That's right, instead of whining about how Canon HAS TO release a new model or you will Absolutely be SWITCHING TO NIKON, just quit posting.

When they see that you no longer care, it will bring them to their knees and they will be forced to immediately release all the super-secret technology that they have developed but which they absolutely refuse to put into cameras because...well because you are so important that they feel the urge to deny you the camera that will make your life complete.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

NotABunny

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2011, 10:53:35 AM »
Right after the tsunami, there was some news / rumours saying either that the release of new models was delayed by half a year, or by an entire year...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2011, 10:53:35 AM »

Dave

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2011, 11:40:56 AM »
The truth is that I think Canon is ready to release new bodies anytime. But they wait for Nikon
I don't think so. Why should they wait for Nikon? Let's guess they have a cool brand new body in the pipeline and lets say Nikon releases an even cooler body next week... What could Canon possibly do? Delay their already developed product? I don't think so! That would be just stupid.

The IFA was THE oportunity to release a new body. Nikon and Canon haven't taken that oportunity (Sony has) and I'm sure the simple (but boring) reason is that they just haven't finished anything yet.

Tarrum

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2011, 11:52:33 AM »
Haven't got anything finished? Lol, I think large companies know what they're putting out months before announcing them.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2011, 11:52:33 AM »