October 24, 2014, 04:48:22 AM

Author Topic: Which photographers do you admire or are influenced by?  (Read 8715 times)

ecka

• 5D Mark III
  • Size matters ;)
    • View Profile
    • flickr
Re: Which photographers do you admire or are influenced by?
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2013, 05:27:25 AM »
Don't get me wrong, there are many brilliant photographers, but in most cases I'm inspired by some of their works and not by their philosophies or personalities. Sometimes even a bad photographer gets lucky and shoots an insanely, unbelievably, stunnishing photo (?perfect). So, for me, this question cannot be answered.
I'm mostly influenced by the online photographic communities and I'm happy being a part of it.
FF + primes !

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2013, 05:27:25 AM »

paul13walnut5

« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2013, 07:34:33 AM »
Don't get me wrong, there are many brilliant photographers, but in most cases I'm inspired by some of their works and not by their philosophies or personalities. Sometimes even a bad photographer gets lucky and shoots an insanely, unbelievably, stunnishing photo (?perfect). So, for me, this question cannot be answered.
I'm mostly influenced by the online photographic communities and I'm happy being a part of it.

Ok, if I may couch the question differently..

'Has the work of any photographer influenced you? or do you particularly admire the work of any photographer?'

ecka

• 5D Mark III
  • Size matters ;)
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2013, 07:54:58 AM »

Ok, if I may couch the question differently..

'Has the work of any photographer influenced you? or do you particularly admire the work of any photographer?'

No, not really. For me it's like fishing. Once you get experienced enough, you'll see that there is no magic in it and "the luck" is for amateurs. What is left is the artistic creativity, but I'm more into design than art (like Spielberg vs Art Documentary :) ).
FF + primes !

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2013, 03:52:12 PM »
Haven't given much thought to it. I suppose henri cartier had the most influence on my traditional shooting but otherwise, I haven't really studied others work.

MrFotoFool

• Canon 70D
  • 5D mk3
    • View Profile
    • HoodFineArt
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2013, 06:02:43 PM »
Personal favorite is Nick Nichols, the staff wildlife photographer for National Geographic.  Famous for his low light motion blur work, a technique that I emulate (though mostly in zoos).

Favorite landscape shooter is probably Clyde Butcher, who does stunning large format black and white images in and around the Everglades.  Just dripping with detail and I would love to go to his Florida gallery sometime to see really big prints in person.

Valvebounce

• 1D Mark IV
  • Still can't use most of it to it's full potential!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2013, 08:30:55 PM »
Hi Paul.
This may sound daft or soppy to some but I have been most influenced by my father for taking some excellent photos, and admire the fact that he developed his own black and white slide and negative films in the dark room (six foot square ish with bath, pan and washbasin) so not much room left for enlarger developing tanks etc, whilst allowing an enquisitive interactive 6 year old (me many years ago now) to assist and he still got the developing right and printed some good pictures. I kept asking him last year to do a slide show for us once more but I don't think that will happen now. At 88 he has lost too much of his ability to get the descriptions out fluently.
I have no knowledge of any of the great photographic personalities, except Julia Margaret Cameron who has a museum dedicated to her at Dimbola Lodge her former home here on the Isle of Wight.

Cheers Graham.
7D + Grip, 40D + Grip, 20D, EF-S 17-85 Kit lens, EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS II USM, EF 2x III, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 C, 50mm f1.8, 550EX some Filters Remotes Macro tubes Tripod heads etc!
20D, BG-E2N, 17-85mm, 50mm are pre loved. :)
(300D Saved a holiday, E-FS 18-55 Cosina 100-300 retired)

tgara

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2013, 08:50:19 PM »
I would ask that if people are going to "name names" of their favorite photos, please also post a website, if possible.  I, for one, would be interested in seeing their work.

Thanks.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2013, 08:50:19 PM »

mgkaplan

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2013, 09:35:59 PM »

Erikerodri

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • "All We Lose, We Learn from you"
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2013, 09:39:31 PM »
I am a big fan of Anton Carbijn. I love the look of all of his work unfortunately I cannot mimic him if I tried. Lol
Bodies: 6D (Gripped), T3i (Gripped), sl1
Lenses: Tamron 24-70 2.8, canon 50 1.8, canon 85 1.8, Sigma 70-200 2.8 OS,
Misc: Yn-622c triggers, Yonguo 565ex, Bower Ringflash, Bower TTL Flash

SBD

• SX60 HS
  • Photographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2013, 10:01:06 PM »
A few of mine:

1. Henri Cartier-Bresson, for composition.

http://www.magnumphotos.com/C.aspx?VP3=CMS3&VF=MAGO31_10_VForm&ERID=24KL53ZMYN

2. Yousuf Karsh, for lighting.

http://www.karsh.org/

3. Helmut Newton, for sexiness.

http://www.helmutnewton.com/

4. Richard Avedon, for everything.

http://www.richardavedon.com

5. Peter Hapak, for his very unique style of portraiture.

http://www.peterhapak.com/

6. John Stanmeyer, for reportage.

http://www.stanmeyer.com/

Also, to me, photography is just an extension of the other fine arts. Many of the great early photographers were also painters, and any modern photographer can greatly improve their color and composition skills by studying the likes of Vermeer and John Singer Sargent.

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2013, 10:50:18 PM »
Paul thanks for starting this thread.

captainkanji

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2013, 11:41:13 PM »
I've been a fan of Kevin Jairaj since the infamous 2012 Olympic photoshoot fiasco. Many of the photos were so rushed and terrible, but Kevin was up to the challenge and his images that day were fantastic. He's an amazing wedding photographer.

http://www.kjimages.com/
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 11:59:02 PM by captainkanji »
Canon 6D, Meike battery grip, Black Rapid Strap
EF 40mm f/2.8, EF 50mm f/1.4, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM, 430EX II Speedlite
HDR photos look best when I can't see them.

Click

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2013, 06:09:37 AM »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2013, 06:09:37 AM »

paul13walnut5

« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2013, 06:48:10 AM »
Paul thanks for starting this thread.

Hi Sanj, glad you are enjoying it, me too, and the thanks is more due to those contributing, I'm finding out lots of new photographers, particularly contemporary which I hadn't really followed before.

Keep em coming and as Tgara said:

I would ask that if people are going to "name names" of their favorite photos, please also post a website, if possible.  I, for one, would be interested in seeing their work.

Thanks.

And thanks also from me.

tolusina

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2013, 08:02:26 AM »
In today's San Francisco Chronicle on line, I learned about Peter Stackpole.

Here's the Chron article......
http://www.sfgate.com/art/article/A-bird-s-eye-view-of-the-building-the-Bay-Bridge-4666512.php

Google search......
https://www.google.com/search?q=Peter+Stackpole&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=rcs

Google image search......
https://www.google.com/search?q=Peter+Stackpole&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=rcs&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=1280&bih=850&sei=M4XmUbupD8nEyQHEkIGACg

---
Goes under the Admire heading, only time will tell if his work becomes an influence.
Which raises another question, doesn't every photograph, even snap shot, that a photographer views become an influence?
If a photog sees a photograph with a technique worthy of emulation, that's a positive influence.
If a photog is unmoved, or reacts negatively to a photo, there's a technique to avoid, another influence.
Or are there just too many bleh photos to be generally ignored that they become little but background clutter.

40 on 6

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2013, 08:02:26 AM »