July 31, 2014, 04:42:21 AM

Author Topic: Why don't Canon update their bodies?  (Read 8162 times)

Dave

Re: Why don't Canon update their bodies?
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2011, 03:24:56 PM »
"Large companies" usually have no problems with earthquakes, giant flood waves and nuclear powerplants blowing up.
And the schedule for new releases is much tighter than most people think.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2011, 03:24:56 PM »

-zero-

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2011, 05:22:16 PM »
"Large companies" usually have no problems with earthquakes, giant flood waves and nuclear powerplants blowing up.
And the schedule for new releases is much tighter than most people think.

But when the production facilities of these "Large companies" do not have power because of the blackouts, they simply hire a bunch of poeple to power bicycle powered generators to keep it running 100%

oh and when the facilities get damaged or flooded, ruining thousands of dollars worth of production robots, these company just conjure up a new building and equipment in another country

philHolland

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2011, 08:06:44 PM »
Those who are angry about a 5D Mark III or 1Ds Mark IV not coming out must have very short memories or haven't looked at the product cycles closely.

People.  Keep in mind for many years Canon has been around 2 full years ahead of the pack when it comes to camera and sensor development.  This has been due to the fact that they make their own sensors and tech.  All of it.  Chips to Lens.

This changed somewhat recently.  The 1Ds Mark III was released in the 3rd quarter of 2007.  Nikon released the D3X in the 4th quarter of 2008.  Canon released the 5D Mark II in October 2008 which was their answer to the non full frame Nikon D90.  The Sony Alpha 900 was also a 2008 announcement.

It's also worth noting that the 5D and 5D Mark II have created a new product segment among consumers that has been wildly popular.  Who else was making full frame bodies around this cost?  Who is today making full frame bodies at this price point?

Currently in non flagship bodies everybody has been getting pretty much refined technology.  Some new things here and there, some old things made a little better.

We are currently right in the eye of the storm where manufacturers announce their big product lines.  Sony has gone first this year.  You'll likely notice Nikon having a similar offering and maybe one big surprise offering.

Now all of that said, I am ready for an upgrade if it's a worthy upgrade.  None of the new bodies have been "enough" to interest me just yet.  This is coming from a 1Ds Mark III x2 (one body sold this year) and 5D Mark II owner.  Previously a 1Ds Mark II, 1Ds Mark I, 10D, D60, D30, Nikon N90, and Phase One P25 have existed in my bags, in my hands, or on my tripod.

Canon has been working on new sensor tech for the follow up cameras since 2007/early 2008.  Think about that.  They haven't had to produce anything too new due to the fact that there hasn't been "too much" real competition at any price or at performance level.

We'll know within September or October what's up with almost everybody.  With bodies coming October through December.  Then likely another product announcement next year in Spring.  Then another in Fall.  There's no black magic to this.  This product announcement schedule has been like clockwork for a long time.

TexPhoto

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2011, 08:28:36 PM »
No, what we need is a massive wave of Blog posts and forum threads that will torment them into sharing their precious new DSLRs. Don't go outside and shoot with the cameras you have.  That's just playing into their hands.

An interesting idea, but I have a better one. Since Canon is purposely holding back all this incredible new technology just to torment a handful of people posting on forums, the best way to spur action would be for everyone to quit posting. That's right, instead of whining about how Canon HAS TO release a new model or you will Absolutely be SWITCHING TO NIKON, just quit posting.

When they see that you no longer care, it will bring them to their knees and they will be forced to immediately release all the super-secret technology that they have developed but which they absolutely refuse to put into cameras because...well because you are so important that they feel the urge to deny you the camera that will make your life complete.

That is just crazy enough to work!  Or, you are Canon spy....  Hmmmm  which is the more reasonable theory (Discard that one) Canon Spy!

Flake

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2011, 10:09:40 AM »
Sorry Phil but the 5D MkII was launched as a competitor to the D700 not the D90.  At the time of the 5D it was the only FF consumer camera, but Nikon didn't have a FF body at all even in the pro range.  Now the D700 & A850 / A900 are all priced around this level.

The thread has departed somewhat from the original theme though.  I still can't see why Canon can't refresh the 1Ds MkIII to at least bring it to the same spec as the 5D MkII, especially in regard to video.  Journos cannot use the 1Ds because it's a stills only camera, forcing them into the 5D MkII, as a result Canon lose sales.  On a camera which has a longer life than consumer units keeping the product line up to date should be a priority, the 1Ds has been looking very tired for a long time.

philHolland

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2011, 05:17:45 PM »
Sorry Phil but the 5D MkII was launched as a competitor to the D700 not the D90.  At the time of the 5D it was the only FF consumer camera, but Nikon didn't have a FF body at all even in the pro range.  Now the D700 & A850 / A900 are all priced around this level.

My bad.  I was wrong about the specific model.  Not a Nikon shooter :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2011, 05:17:45 PM »