April 17, 2014, 06:29:27 AM

Author Topic: Bad Photography Rant  (Read 14174 times)

fugu82

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: Bad Photography Rant
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2013, 09:06:01 PM »
Sad to say, JDJ, but your deliberate attempt at bad photography is actually kinda cool. The sad, hazy life of Columba livia.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2013, 09:06:01 PM »

jhaces

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2013, 09:06:21 PM »

The portrait as delivered by the hipster street photographer claiming to be a portrait artist.  :)

Antonin Kratochvil would have something to say about that! ;)

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2013, 09:10:11 PM »
I appreciate the comments. Not looking for sympathy or solutions. It's just a cathartic thing for me.

As for the "get what you pay for" I agree with that, but it's beside the point. My aunt doesn't know enough about photography to know if $100 was a good or bad deal. Her hopes could have been raised just as high by an amateur who claimed to be a great photographer and showed up with pro looking equipment and a dominant attitude.

I just feel bad that anyone gave her reason to have high expectations and then dashed them. I guess I'd be a little more outraged if she had paid $1000 instead of $100, but the money isn't the issue.

As for seeing the pictures as someone asked, that would not be professional of me. But thanks for asking.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

Tabor Warren Photography

• Rebel T5i
  • I want to go shoot something with a Canon...
    • View Profile
    • Tabor Warren Photography
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2013, 09:26:24 PM »
As for seeing the pictures as someone asked, that would not be professional of me. But thanks for asking.

Kudos to you. I was wondering how you would handle that.

I had a similar experience to your Aunt and it bothered me to the extreme that now I am a wedding and portrait photographer vowing to not let that happen to any of my family, friends, and now, clients. I too take great pride in my work and am always improving. I probably should have just vented years ago. lol

Cheers,
-Tabor
Bodies: 5D mk III x2, 5D mk. II, 7D, & 60D
Lenses: 17-40mm f/4L, 24mm f/1.4L, 35mm f/1.4L, 70-200mm f/2.8L ISII, 85 f/1.2L II, & 100mm f/2.8L
Flashes: 600EX-RT & 430 EX II | To see my work head on over to http://photosbytabor.com

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2013, 09:36:21 PM »
Good for you, Tabor. That makes me feel better!

I had a similar experience to your Aunt and it bothered me to the extreme that now I am a wedding and portrait photographer vowing to not let that happen to any of my family, friends, and now, clients. I too take great pride in my work and am always improving. I probably should have just vented years ago. lol

Cheers,
-Tabor
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

Don Haines

• 1D X
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2013, 09:43:11 PM »
There is a wonderful statement..... "self evaluation is fraught with peril" I teach canoeing in my spare time.... You would not believe the number of "experts" who have not learned basic skills. Photography is no different.

When evaluating yourself, you need to compare yourself to the right people. If I compare myself to most friends, then I am a wonderful and skilled photographer. If I compare myself to the people on this forum, I have a lot to learn. As a "professional", this person should be comparing the self to other professionals, hanging around with them, and learning.
The best camera is the one in your hands

Don Haines

• 1D X
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2013, 09:48:24 PM »

Cheers,
-Tabor
I have been asked (by friends) to photograph weddings, and said "NO!, I shoot wildlife.... I would suck at weddings"... and then asked the bride how she would feel if after the wedding shoot she found out half the pictures were of squirrels and ducks..... Hire me and that's what you will get....

It's not enough to get a good photographer, you need to find a good photographer for the subject matter.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 11:27:06 PM by Don Haines »
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2013, 09:48:24 PM »

Tabor Warren Photography

• Rebel T5i
  • I want to go shoot something with a Canon...
    • View Profile
    • Tabor Warren Photography
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2013, 10:02:22 PM »
There is a wonderful statement..... "self evaluation is fraught with peril" I teach canoeing in my spare time.... You would not believe the number of "experts" who have not learned basic skills. Photography is no different.

When evaluating yourself, you need to compare yourself to the right people. If I compare myself to most friends, then I am a wonderful and skilled photographer. If I compare myself to the people on this forum, I have a lot to learn. As a "professional", this person should be comparing the self to other professionals, hanging around with them, and learning.

SO TRUE!

I often find myself comparing the works from my business to others in various cities nearby. Often, it's easy to criticize someone else's images, (and sometimes the photo is just bad). Just as I feel good about myself, I come on here or view the works of some of my favorite modern day wedding photographers AND I'm humbled again. Still, we all have to learn at some point, but it was almost two years before I really began to charge for my services. Even at the first wedding I was asked to shoot, I was hesitant and mentioned my limitations, but hey, I did my best, gained more wedding gigs from it, and off I went.

Peace,
-Tabor
Bodies: 5D mk III x2, 5D mk. II, 7D, & 60D
Lenses: 17-40mm f/4L, 24mm f/1.4L, 35mm f/1.4L, 70-200mm f/2.8L ISII, 85 f/1.2L II, & 100mm f/2.8L
Flashes: 600EX-RT & 430 EX II | To see my work head on over to http://photosbytabor.com

tiger82

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2013, 09:38:31 AM »

Looking at the photographer's Web site she indicates she went to art schools and shot for magazines for several years. I wasn't exactly sure what my aunt wanted when she handed me the CD and asked me to "develop" the pictures and select the best 10 for printing.

Can you share the website link?
1D3 with 70-200 IS f/2.8L, 5D2 with 24-70 f/2.8L

J.R.

• 1D X
  • A Speedlight Junkie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2013, 10:12:25 AM »

Top Post!
Light is language!

Daniel Flather

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2013, 12:39:57 PM »
@ OP - any photos as s sample? I want to see it beacuse I after 6yrs in college, I don't make $100/hr. I can see my new carreer here :o

The Op's photog did not earn $100 an hour either.  100/2=50 the last time I checked, also factor in any travel costs and time if any.  I'm not defending the OP's photog in any way! 
| 5D3 | 8-15L | 24L II | 35L | 50L | 85L II | 100 macro | 200/2L | EOS M | 22 STM |

LewisShermer

• Rebel T5i
  • point shoot hope
    • View Profile
    • Business!
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2013, 08:01:00 AM »
How do we know if we're good photographers or not? I hate charging for shooting anything which is why I'll never be a professional outside of the place where I work (where I'm actually a professional photographer) Weird. Who can judge us and how much we're worth?
5Diii, 60D, 500D, EX580, loads of crappy flash guns... 28mm 1.8, Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art, 50mm 1.4, 100mm macro 2.8, 24-105mm 4L, 70-200mm 2.8L, lensbaby composer...

www.lewismaxwell.co.uk

m

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2013, 08:18:18 AM »
Who can judge us and how much we're worth?

Those who we take the images for.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2013, 08:18:18 AM »

GuyF

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2013, 10:09:04 AM »
I live right next to a shopping centre and often see some "professional" with a setup consisting of a few boxes and cushions for the subject to sit on. They're armed with an entry-level DSLR and kit lens stuck on a small tripod (hey! they've got a tripod, how pro is that!!). I suppose they're just maximising profits. There is a board with example shots too - you know the type, bland images of kids against a white background. Honestly, it's just a conveyor belt of mediocrity. Plus they appear to charge about £45 a pop.

I'm not bashing entry level gear (clearly you can take very acceptable images with it) but I feel the end product from these goons is so poor yet people seem to lap it up. Is a grandparent really going to criticise any picture of their beloved progeny?

I know I could do so much better but have to consider if people would actually pay more when they're already happy with, for want of a better word, crap? I suppose you get what you pay for, especially at a makeshift "studio" in a shopping centre.

We should start asking these "professionals" how they achieve such bland results. Maybe stand next to him with a t-shirt that says, "Never pay for crummy photos".

Let the backlash begin!.

Hannes

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2013, 10:21:51 AM »
Can I suggest this website for a bit of a snigger about bad photography? http://youarenotaphotographer.com/

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2013, 10:21:51 AM »