November 22, 2014, 10:20:56 PM

Author Topic: An Update on the 75+mp Camera in the Wild  (Read 29906 times)

Lawliet

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
Re: An Update on the 75+mp Camera in the Wild
« Reply #90 on: August 02, 2013, 07:08:08 AM »
Or start reviewing one copy, and then see what the worst one that a reader of your's got is!

I'd say the lensrental reviews are a good starting point - enough raw data to get a good impression, and as byproduct of a quality management process with little emotional bias.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #90 on: August 02, 2013, 07:08:08 AM »

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 02, 2013, 01:51:51 PM »
I wish you guys would stop arguing. It is obvious that the Nikon sensor that we don't use is far superior to a rumored Canon sensor that nobody has tested or even seen....lens tests on a different body confirm this.
The best camera is the one in your hands

Eldar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #92 on: August 02, 2013, 05:22:07 PM »
Dear fellow Canonistas!

I´ve been shooting with Canon since the 1970´s. I have invested enough in expensive glass, to keep me in the Canon loop. My only hope for every new post on Canonrumours is to read about the next jaw dropping Canon product, that can take my photography to the next level. But reading some of the posts on this forum makes me wonder what the motivation amongst some you may be. We can assume that Canon is reading what we are writing. So all the unconditional praise for what they deliver, regardless of what the competition is doing, is a confirmation that what they provide is sufficient. Well, is it??

I am in no way a potential ship jumper. I have obscene amounts of money invested in glass and bodies, that will keep me with Canon for a loooong time. But reading about the Dynamic Range figures, ISO performance and higher MP ++ from the likes of Nikon makes me sometimes wonder what Canon is doing. The 1DX and 5DIII gave me AF beyond what Nikon can deliver and I am very happy with it. But for the next pro body, Canon better provide something we can swipe the Nikon floor with. The comparisons with best selling cars compared to to the actually best cars etc. are at best entertaining.

In this forum I get the feeling that any non-pro Canon statement is similar to treason and worthy of a painful execution. In my view, a critical (when it makes sense) argument against Canon is something they should listen to. So to me, every intelligent and critical statement is welcome!

I have paid serious bucks for all my L-lenses, including 24 TS-E 3.5L II, 16-35 f2.8L II, 24-70 f2.8L II, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, 85 f1.2L II, 400 f2.8L IS II, 600 f4L IS II and a few others. I believe they are the best lenses money can buy. I am also happy with my 5DIII and 1DX, given what they represent in upgrades from my previous 5DII and 1DsIII, but I sincerely hope that with the next pro body, Canon will kick Nikon ass beyond the horizon!

Have a great weekend!
(written after a great Sancerre and an even greater Brunello!)
5DIII, 1DX, 8-15/4L, 16-35 f4L IS, 24-70/2.8L II, 70-200/2.8L IS II, 70-300/4-5.6L IS, 200-400/4L IS 1.4x, Zeiss 15/2.8, 17/4L TS-E, Zeiss 21/2.8, 24/3.5L TS-E II, Zeiss 35/1.4, Zeiss Otus 55/1.4, Zeiss Otus 85/1.4, 100/2.8L IS Macro, Zeiss 135/2, 600/4L IS II

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #93 on: August 02, 2013, 06:59:23 PM »

Ok, while I'm a bit jealous of some of your lenses... I'm even more jealous about this. Lucky you!
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #94 on: August 02, 2013, 07:58:58 PM »
Dear fellow Canonistas!

I´ve been shooting with Canon since the 1970´s. I have invested enough in expensive glass, to keep me in the Canon loop. My only hope for every new post on Canonrumours is to read about the next jaw dropping Canon product, that can take my photography to the next level. But reading some of the posts on this forum makes me wonder what the motivation amongst some you may be. We can assume that Canon is reading what we are writing. So all the unconditional praise for what they deliver, regardless of what the competition is doing, is a confirmation that what they provide is sufficient. Well, is it??

I am in no way a potential ship jumper. I have obscene amounts of money invested in glass and bodies, that will keep me with Canon for a loooong time. But reading about the Dynamic Range figures, ISO performance and higher MP ++ from the likes of Nikon makes me sometimes wonder what Canon is doing. The 1DX and 5DIII gave me AF beyond what Nikon can deliver and I am very happy with it. But for the next pro body, Canon better provide something we can swipe the Nikon floor with. The comparisons with best selling cars compared to to the actually best cars etc. are at best entertaining.

In this forum I get the feeling that any non-pro Canon statement is similar to treason and worthy of a painful execution. In my view, a critical (when it makes sense) argument against Canon is something they should listen to. So to me, every intelligent and critical statement is welcome!

I have paid serious bucks for all my L-lenses, including 24 TS-E 3.5L II, 16-35 f2.8L II, 24-70 f2.8L II, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, 85 f1.2L II, 400 f2.8L IS II, 600 f4L IS II and a few others. I believe they are the best lenses money can buy. I am also happy with my 5DIII and 1DX, given what they represent in upgrades from my previous 5DII and 1DsIII, but I sincerely hope that with the next pro body, Canon will kick Nikon ass beyond the horizon!

Have a great weekend!

I think you may be missing the root of where these debates come from. For the most part, they are usually originated by one particular individual: ankorwatt. I debate him not because his arguments say Nikon DR in a couple of their cameras is better. I debate him because he makes assertions that Canon does not compete because hey cannot compete, that they will never be able to compete, and Canon does not make good cameras solely because their sensors are not as good as the D800's, etc.

Those are all fundamentally flawed and false statements. On several occasions in the past, people have clearly LITERALLY jumped ship as a result of some of the things ankorwatt (and a few others, on occasion) have stated, only to find out that they did not really like the Nikon side of things. Some jumped back. All to the tune of many thousands of dollars. Someone has to debunk the often ridiculous and obviously biased statements ankorwatt makes, which are hard line anti-canon. Just as hard line as you probably see the pro-canon stuff in response to his posts.

I do want Canon to produce better products and compete on every front...not just AF, not just high ISO, not just one thing or another. There are many discussions on this forum that follow exactly the direction you indicated...that we should be asking Canon what we want...until that one particular person posts something...then it's all down hill from there. For the most part, no one denies that Canon has worse low-ISO DR than some Nikon cameras with Sony sensors (there are a few who refuse to believe the facts, though.) But it does need to be made clear that the situations where the D800 and D600 meaningfully outpace any Canon camera is in a very specific few circumstances: ISO 100, ISO 200, and by a very slim margin ISO 400. Honestly, how many Canon shooters do you think use ISO settings ABOVE 400 vs. those who use ISO settings BELOW 400 the majority of the time?

I think far more often than not, a greater percentage of Canon shooters use ISO settings above 400....so many types of photography demand critically good high ISO performance, where as there are a select few that demand critically good ISO 100 performance. Landscapes, studio, maybe street. Beyond ISO 400 physical limitations kick in, and outside of some significant innovations like color splitting microlenses that reduce light loss reaching the sensor or multi-layered photodiodes that increase the charge holding capacity of each photodiode...there isn't much that can be done about those physical limitations. Bigger pixels are all that matter at high ISO, and currently, Canon offers some unparalleled performance in that arena.

You also have to take into account who the squeaky wheels were in a given time frame. Before the D800, the LOUDEST (by far) vocal Canon group were the "fewer megapixels, better high ISO" group. I was one of them, most of the people I knew who shot Canon were asking for fewer megapixels and higher ISO. Second to that, as the rumors about the 5D III started to fly in good quantity, the biggest complaint I remember hearing was about the 5D II AF system. As far as I can tell, Canon has delivered pretty well exactly what their customers were asking for before the new generation actually hit the streets: Fewer megapixels, better high ISO.

Its now another lull between major DSLR releases. By far, the most vocal Canon group is now the "more megapixels, better DR" group. The people who want as many megapixels as they can get their hands on, while concurrently offering more dynamic range. I did not hear much from that group before the D800 hit the streets and DXO posted their review...but now that its out, and people who do things like landscape and studio photography where detail and DR reign supreme, well, of course its the thing everyone wants. Canon delivered exactly what their customers were asking for before. I honestly don't see any reason they won't deliver, or at least try to deliver (I happily admit Exmor is some damn good technology), what their customers are asking for now.

I do think we should be vocal about it. I primarily shoot action, birds and wildlife, so high ISO is usually where I live. I also do landscapes, and I really want a high megapixel, high DR FF sensor for that. I've held off buying a new camera to see what Canon does and where they are headed, because I believe they will deliver something in line with what their customers are asking for. It's just a matter of when...and since we are in the middle of a major cycle, I don't suspect it will be for another year or so. Sadly, any time we get to pondering our wants and desires...ankorwatt usually shows up and marks his territory.   :'( Everyone here knows the D800 has better DR. They are sick and tired of being reminded of it. Further, everyone is sick and tired of being told everything that was, is, or will be Nikon always has, is and will forever be better than Canon. Its annoying, its tiresom, its a LOAD OF CRAP, and yet...people believe that crap. So...just about every thread degrades into the same old debate..."Yes, the D800 is wonderful. No, Canon is not incapable of competing. Yes, Canon does many things better than the competition. No, Canon doesn't do everything better than Nikon, Sony, Aptina, or whichever manufacturer is part of the topic of the day. Yes, please shut up ankorwatt, were tired of your DRoning about DRivel..." Problem is...no one can just let ankorwatts comments be...they are usually just too antagonistic, and people are people.

If one single individual was removed from the picture...things would change...radically......I don't think that is going to happen, however.

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 02, 2013, 09:32:25 PM »
Dear fellow Canonistas!

Have a great weekend!

I think you may be missing the root of where these debates come from. For the most part, they are usually originated by one particular individual: ankorwatt. I debate him not because his arguments say Nikon DR in a couple of their cameras is better. I debate him because he makes assertions that Canon does not compete because hey cannot compete, that they will never be able to compete, and Canon does not make good cameras solely because their sensors are not as good as the D800's, etc.

Those are all fundamentally flawed and false statements. On several occasions in the past, people have clearly LITERALLY jumped ship as a result of some of the things ankorwatt (and a few others, on occasion) have stated, only to find out that they did not really like the Nikon side of things. Some jumped back. All to the tune of many thousands of dollars. Someone has to debunk the often ridiculous and obviously biased statements ankorwatt makes, which are hard line anti-canon. Just as hard line as you probably see the pro-canon stuff in response to his posts.

I do want Canon to produce better products and compete on every front...not just AF, not just high ISO, not just one thing or another. There are many discussions on this forum that follow exactly the direction you indicated...that we should be asking Canon what we want...until that one particular person posts something...then it's all down hill from there. For the most part, no one denies that Canon has worse low-ISO DR than some Nikon cameras with Sony sensors (there are a few who refuse to believe the facts, though.) But it does need to be made clear that the situations where the D800 and D600 meaningfully outpace any Canon camera is in a very specific few circumstances: ISO 100, ISO 200, and by a very slim margin ISO 400. Honestly, how many Canon shooters do you think use ISO settings ABOVE 400 vs. those who use ISO settings BELOW 400 the majority of the time?

I think far more often than not, a greater percentage of Canon shooters use ISO settings above 400....so many types of photography demand critically good high ISO performance, where as there are a select few that demand critically good ISO 100 performance. Landscapes, studio, maybe street. Beyond ISO 400 physical limitations kick in, and outside of some significant innovations like color splitting microlenses that reduce light loss reaching the sensor or multi-layered photodiodes that increase the charge holding capacity of each photodiode...there isn't much that can be done about those physical limitations. Bigger pixels are all that matter at high ISO, and currently, Canon offers some unparalleled performance in that arena.

You also have to take into account who the squeaky wheels were in a given time frame. Before the D800, the LOUDEST (by far) vocal Canon group were the "fewer megapixels, better high ISO" group. I was one of them, most of the people I knew who shot Canon were asking for fewer megapixels and higher ISO. Second to that, as the rumors about the 5D III started to fly in good quantity, the biggest complaint I remember hearing was about the 5D II AF system. As far as I can tell, Canon has delivered pretty well exactly what their customers were asking for before the new generation actually hit the streets: Fewer megapixels, better high ISO.

Its now another lull between major DSLR releases. By far, the most vocal Canon group is now the "more megapixels, better DR" group. The people who want as many megapixels as they can get their hands on, while concurrently offering more dynamic range. I did not hear much from that group before the D800 hit the streets and DXO posted their review...but now that its out, and people who do things like landscape and studio photography where detail and DR reign supreme, well, of course its the thing everyone wants. Canon delivered exactly what their customers were asking for before. I honestly don't see any reason they won't deliver, or at least try to deliver (I happily admit Exmor is some damn good technology), what their customers are asking for now.

I do think we should be vocal about it. I primarily shoot action, birds and wildlife, so high ISO is usually where I live. I also do landscapes, and I really want a high megapixel, high DR FF sensor for that. I've held off buying a new camera to see what Canon does and where they are headed, because I believe they will deliver something in line with what their customers are asking for. It's just a matter of when...and since we are in the middle of a major cycle, I don't suspect it will be for another year or so. Sadly, any time we get to pondering our wants and desires...ankorwatt usually shows up and marks his territory.   :'( Everyone here knows the D800 has better DR. They are sick and tired of being reminded of it. Further, everyone is sick and tired of being told everything that was, is, or will be Nikon always has, is and will forever be better than Canon. Its annoying, its tiresom, its a LOAD OF CRAP, and yet...people believe that crap. So...just about every thread degrades into the same old debate..."Yes, the D800 is wonderful. No, Canon is not incapable of competing. Yes, Canon does many things better than the competition. No, Canon doesn't do everything better than Nikon, Sony, Aptina, or whichever manufacturer is part of the topic of the day. Yes, please shut up ankorwatt, were tired of your DRoning about DRivel..." Problem is...no one can just let ankorwatts comments be...they are usually just too antagonistic, and people are people.

If one single individual was removed from the picture...things would change...radically......I don't think that is going to happen, however.

The bottom line is this....both companies make great products, with each having their own strengths and weaknesses....the difference between the 1dx and d4(the best that each can make) is so fractionally small that anyone arguing about one being better than the the other is just bored and/or argumentative by nature....same goes for the d800 vs 5d3.

My best photog buddy has a d800...it's better than my 5d3 in some ways, and worse in others.   

It's like arguing that a sunrise is prettier than a sunset
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 09:34:31 PM by Northstar »
Sport Shooter

1dX and 5d3... 24-70 2.8ii, 70-200 2.8ii, 1.4xiii and 2xiii, 85, 40mm, 300 2.8L IS....430ex

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 02, 2013, 09:54:31 PM »
Dear fellow Canonistas!

Have a great weekend!

We really don't know what the labs at Canon are working on....or what state various developments are in..., but we can guess.

My guess is to look at the 70D and this split-pixel focus development. The fact that it is going into production says that it is a viable technology.... A FF size sensor with the dual-pixels the same size as the 70D gives about 52 megapixels... so a 50+ megapixel FF body is quite reasonable, 75 is certainly possible.

If you can split the pixels in one direction, you can split them in another.... it is possible to have alternating vertical and horizontal splits and then get phase detection in two axis.... and even better autofocus ability.

After you have achieved focus, you could either combine the halves into a single pixel, use them as separate pixels, or change the ISO on one side of each pixel pair and combine them as a 16 stop DR pixel, possibly up to 20 stops...

We really don't know what Canon is doing or what they will announce, but I am hopeful for the future. I think we are on the verge of a major step forward.
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #96 on: August 02, 2013, 09:54:31 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 02, 2013, 10:00:23 PM »

I won't argue about which is prettier, but I appreciate sunsets a lot more because I don't have to get up early to shoot them...   ;)
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 02, 2013, 10:35:36 PM »

I won't argue about which is prettier, but I appreciate sunsets a lot more because I don't have to get up early to shoot them...   ;)

amen to that
Sport Shooter

1dX and 5d3... 24-70 2.8ii, 70-200 2.8ii, 1.4xiii and 2xiii, 85, 40mm, 300 2.8L IS....430ex

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #99 on: August 03, 2013, 12:50:47 AM »
Dear fellow Canonistas!

Have a great weekend!

The bottom line is this....both companies make great products, with each having their own strengths and weaknesses....the difference between the 1dx and d4(the best that each can make) is so fractionally small that anyone arguing about one being better than the the other is just bored and/or argumentative by nature....same goes for the d800 vs 5d3.

My best photog buddy has a d800...it's better than my 5d3 in some ways, and worse in others.   

Heh...you missed my point entirely. The debates that spring up everywhere really aren't about the equipment, which is better, which isn't. They are just a response to the antagonism...which is what everyone gets in almost every thread now. Stop the antagonism, stop the debates...regardless of what the equipment is.

Eldar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #100 on: August 03, 2013, 03:01:54 AM »

After you have achieved focus, you could either combine the halves into a single pixel, use them as separate pixels, or change the ISO on one side of each pixel pair and combine them as a 16 stop DR pixel, possibly up to 20 stops...

16-20 stop DR would make my year  :P
5DIII, 1DX, 8-15/4L, 16-35 f4L IS, 24-70/2.8L II, 70-200/2.8L IS II, 70-300/4-5.6L IS, 200-400/4L IS 1.4x, Zeiss 15/2.8, 17/4L TS-E, Zeiss 21/2.8, 24/3.5L TS-E II, Zeiss 35/1.4, Zeiss Otus 55/1.4, Zeiss Otus 85/1.4, 100/2.8L IS Macro, Zeiss 135/2, 600/4L IS II

Skulker

• Canon 6D
  • PP is no vice and as shot is no virtue
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 03, 2013, 04:44:58 AM »

Also do you live on the east coast? That might effect your point of view on sunsets.
If you debate with a fool onlookers can find it VERY difficult to tell the difference.

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 03, 2013, 09:21:30 AM »

Also do you live on the east coast? That might effect your point of view on sunsets.

funny skulker...but...

Our california coast sunset is much prettier than your east coast sunrise....way more dynamic range and the colors are better.  didn't you read the latest dxo report on it?  ::) ;D

« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 09:23:25 AM by Northstar »
Sport Shooter

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #102 on: August 03, 2013, 09:21:30 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 03, 2013, 09:28:01 AM »
Try Cape Cod – you get both sunrise and sunset over the water…
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 03, 2013, 09:52:15 AM »
Heh...you missed my point entirely. The debates that spring up everywhere really aren't about the equipment, which is better, which isn't. They are just a response to the antagonism...which is what everyone gets in almost every thread now. Stop the antagonism, stop the debates...regardless of what the equipment is.
[/quote]

jrista, i get your point and I agree with you.   participating in this forum should be enjoyable and civil, sometimes it's not and that is unfortunate.

the problem is that the world is full of people that just love a good debate, like to disagree, like to point it out when others are wrong, enjoy criticizing, and just can't accept another point of view....and humans are emotional.

and when you can do all of the above without ever looking the other person in the eye, well, the bottom line is..... 

these "debates" will never end....a fact.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 09:53:58 AM by Northstar »
Sport Shooter

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #104 on: August 03, 2013, 09:52:15 AM »