April 20, 2014, 12:40:11 PM

Author Topic: Tilt screen - Articulating screen  (Read 3462 times)

selendal

Tilt screen - Articulating screen
« on: September 10, 2010, 06:51:16 AM »
Isn't there something missing in canon pro-bodies......
No one is talking or complaining about this defficiency.
The most important thing missing now in Canon bodies is the artilating or the tilt screen.
Why it is so important:
  • First, the full function of liveview is achived throuhg tilt screen. For instance if you have a live view body with a tilt screen, with a high speed shutter you may rise the camera up from head, make precise focues and shot
  • Second, the full function of video recording is agaain based on tilt screen. Have you ever seen any video camrea with a fixed screen or visor. the only horizonat use of visor  is on proffessional shoulder camaras. Now tehre are reaay very strange gadgets to let recompansate the lack of tilt screen for video recording cameras.
  • Finally most of studio photogrpagy, almost alll macrophotography requires tripod + live view + tilt screen, other vise in half an hour you will vomit or become astigmat by loking one eye closed

I really can not understand why people don't mind this problem and talking about HD video or megapixel or frame per second, if the ergonomy limits you even 120mgeapixel will not make any change in the camera.

As a professional photogrpaher I never need a 18mp image, 3000X4000 is always ok for me, in a weel exposured and high detailed censor without making interpolation or artificial enhabcement.
What I need is more burrons on the dial wheel for more custum functions, for instance one for low light low ISO fast aparature, one another low light mid ISO high shutter with aff assist of external flash but without bursting it.
one fore mirror lock-up for macro photogrpahy with low ISO but slow aparature with mid iso for high depth of field
one another macro mode without mirror lock up mid ISO high shutetr with external flas burst both for fast mowing insects.

For the rest: A, S, P is ok

Looking for your support to suppress Canon to put articulating screen and custum functions as standart at least for mid and high end cameras, and not to try to cheat us playing with ISO range (without making  noise improvements) and high pixels which is not the most necessary thig

Thans alot

canon rumors FORUM

Tilt screen - Articulating screen
« on: September 10, 2010, 06:51:16 AM »

Jaszek

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
    • JaszekPhoto.com
Re: Tilt screen - Articulating screen
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 12:58:41 PM »
60D

Lawliet

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 01:48:14 PM »
Isn't there something missing in canon pro-bodies......
No one is talking or complaining about this defficiency.
The most important thing missing now in Canon bodies is the artilating or the tilt screen.

Because the cameras support tethering. Why restrict yourself to a tiny 3" screen if you can have 15" on the notebook or the big screen in the studio? It allows you to operate cameras placed all around the field where LV would force you to jump between cameras. Holding the camera above your head? Didn't they assign you places where this isn't neccessary?

The way you describe LV usage fits more the amateur usage patterns, at most a secondary design goal for a pro body.

Edwin Herdman

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 06:13:04 PM »
The only problem with that explanation is that nature macrophotography often doesn't allow a cumbersome tethered setup.  Neither does press photography.

I've read that many users of the MP-E 60mm like the crop bodies as it increases the apparent focal length (and the apparent magnification), which doesn't really favor the bodies with larger sensors.

Rocky

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 01:13:19 PM »
Tilt screen is a good tool to have. I do not understand why people are against it.  "It is not for professional". It it the most ridiculous argument that I have heard. In the old film days, ALL top end professional SLR (Exakta, Nikon F's, Canon A, etc)have interchangeable view finder. It can be switched from penta prism (eye level) or waist level (good for overhead or on the ground too). The waist level view finder in equal (not as versatile)to the tilt screen on the DSLR now.  Rollieflex build the whole company on using waist level view finder on all its cameras. Only the high end model have optional eye level view finder. Hasselblad also offer waist level view finder as standard (eye level optional). ALL the  above cameras are professional equipments.
As for shooting situation, when you are on assignment, you need to get the picture , regardless of the situation. So a good shooting positing is a luxury, not a requirement.
In fact, when you are doing a full body shot, the perfect shooting position is at waist level.  Without the waist level finder (tilt screen on DSLR), you will be on your knees and siting on your bottom all the time.
As for ruggedness, Tilt screen has been used on camcorder (even professional models) for a long time. canon has been using tilt screen on digital camera since G1 (more than 10 years ago),. No body has complain about not being rugged enough yet.

Son of Daguerre

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 04:49:59 PM »
The only problem with that explanation is that nature macrophotography often doesn't allow a cumbersome tethered setup.  Neither does press photography.

I've read that many users of the MP-E 60mm like the crop bodies as it increases the apparent focal length (and the apparent magnification), which doesn't really favor the bodies with larger sensors.

That, sir, is the reason for the WFT series. Wireless Live View.

unexposure

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 05:25:41 PM »

That, sir, is the reason for the WFT series. Wireless Live View.
When you do Macro - and do it (other than many guides suggest) outdoor - you won't carry a silly laptop out in the fields. Camera-Gear is heavy enough.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 05:25:41 PM »