July 29, 2014, 09:51:09 PM

Author Topic: Canon 14mm II for "Yangshuo, China"  (Read 7538 times)

Dylan777

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.500px.com/home
Re: Canon 14mm II for "Yangshuo, China"
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2013, 02:11:49 PM »
Thanks minim2
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2013, 02:11:49 PM »

lion rock

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2013, 02:15:48 PM »
We are going back to HK to visit family this November, our annual visit, and one of our destination will be :
 http://www.globalgeopark.org/aboutggn/list/china/6616.htm, lower right photo shows what I'm interest at.
Hope you can see that too, sometime.
-r

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2013, 02:20:33 PM »
We are going back to HK to visit family this November, our annual visit, and one of our destination will be :
 http://www.globalgeopark.org/aboutggn/list/china/6616.htm, lower right photo shows what I'm interest at.
-r
Very interesting! (Please remove the coma from the url to make it work though).

Skirball

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2013, 03:45:55 PM »
I think most of it has been covered.  I loved Yangshuo (and Guilin is worth spending time in as well).  Personally I’ve never been a big fan of guides and I didn’t have any trouble getting around once you get into the western bubble around touristy Yangshuo.  However, I did get a climbing guide for the first couple days I was there until I met climbing partners, and he ended up “guiding” me to the light show (which is a must).  He got me in early and nabbed seats right up front.  There’s no way that would have happened otherwise, it’s very chaotic.  I wish I had the photographic skill and equipment that I have now, it’s very photogenic.  I only eeked out a couple of lower res keepers.  Have fun, I’d love to see your results.

The bus out to Moon rock is very scenic, though moon rock is packed to the gills with tourists.  I’d recommend renting a bike in town and taking your time.  I also regretted not doing a hot air balloon.

Dylan777

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2013, 03:58:50 PM »
-r

Thanks for the link. What's the best trans method to get there Lion Rock? I'm guessing Ferry.  How far from Tsuen Wang?

Our office located in Tsuen Wang, HK. 5mins away from L hotel: http://www.lhotelcausewaybayhv.com/contact.php
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 04:16:00 PM by Dylan777 »

CaiLeDao

• Power Shot G16
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2013, 05:56:17 PM »
Few thoughts about Yangshuo.

The show was produced by John Emo who did the olympics plus films such as Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.  For the show IMHO the best place to sit is at the first wide aisle, about halfway through a lot of dancers come here in traditional dress and its a good photo opportunity. At the front you will be looking at the back of their heads.

The area is changing a lot and its getting harder to find great views around the town as they are now building upwards.  The view shown on the CCTV of the mountains behind Yangshuo, which is magnificent no longer exists, without heavy photoshop removing modern buildings.  (Chinese tourist photo's are not subject to our standards authority quality testing and are usually quiet old.  In fairness to the Chinese they don't seem to mind, so the system works for them.  I have been disappointed several times however)

Think you would find a lens that doesn't take filters a problem as you will really need ND grads to get the best from an image, or bracketing, also a TSE 24mm or 17 as suggested may be a better panoramic view as you would loose a lot from a 14mm crop. Depends on time really.  I like the view from the Yulong Bridge, which is great, depending on the light.  Haven't experienced much in the way of visibility issues other than rain, the mist adds drama to the kunst mountains, so long as you are prepared for it.  Polarisers help a lot with keeping the foliage natural, and reducing reflections in the water, not really seen much in the way of sun in the area.

Dylan777

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2013, 06:30:58 PM »
Thanks CaiLeDao

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2013, 06:30:58 PM »

lion rock

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2013, 07:10:45 PM »
Dylan,
My wife says it is a one day tour, once a week.  I think the tour departs by boat on HK side.  I found a bit more listing here: http://www.geopark.gov.hk/en_s4f5.htm .  I hope you have sometime to visit.
-r

Dylan777

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2013, 09:15:33 PM »
Dylan,
My wife says it is a one day tour, once a week.  I think the tour departs by boat on HK side.  I found a bit more listing here: http://www.geopark.gov.hk/en_s4f5.htm .  I hope you have sometime to visit.
-r

It looks like ferry(boat) is the only way to get there. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks again.

kaihp

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2013, 11:22:45 PM »
Dylan,
Hope you will have a great trip to HK/China.
My experience with tours in China is that if you join a tour group, a fair part of the time would be spent on shopping.  I went to two of these tours and they hurry you up so they can take you to shops.
My friend and his family went for a trip and hired a "private" car with an English speaking driver/tour guide thinking that there would be no shopping.  It still did, but finally my friend insisted that they did no more shopping.  The attitude of the driver changed to one that was indifferent to my friend and his family.
I would not know how the tour guides would treat a Westerner, but being Chinese tourists, we're not treated well in this respect.

Westerners would be treated the same, at least to what I see in the Lonely Planet guide (I haven't been sightseeing in China with guides).
The guides are paid commission by the shops.  And the shop will claim that whatever you bought at another shop is fake, but their shop has the real goods. Ad infinitum.

Grumbaki

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2013, 12:03:17 AM »
I used to hire English major master student from a local university when my chinese was even worse than it's now. Even if you add a private car, it won't be super expensive and the experience will be much better. Unrushed, non standard but good facts, tips on real local joints.

My tip would be either that or no guide. Group tour in china are aweful.

Dylan777

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2013, 12:27:46 AM »
I used to hire English major master student from a local university when my chinese was even worse than it's now. Even if you add a private car, it won't be super expensive and the experience will be much better. Unrushed, non standard but good facts, tips on real local joints.

My tip would be either that or no guide. Group tour in china are aweful.

I been travel from US to China last 10yrs. I still can't pickup the chinese language. All I know is "Ni-hao" = hello and "sei-sie" = thank you.

Grumbaki

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2013, 02:45:58 AM »
I been travel from US to China last 10yrs. I still can't pickup the chinese language. All I know is "Ni-hao" = hello and "sei-sie" = thank you.

Well I don't know Yangshuo but a lot of sites are now accessible to unguided non chinese speaking foreigners. I wouldn't be afraid to let english only speaking friends visit Beijing or Shanghai by themselves. 10 years back it was a different matter.

In less common places (like my current residence Chengdu), the major things (like the panda base) are close to english friendly but the life isn't.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2013, 02:45:58 AM »

kaihp

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2013, 03:45:37 AM »

Those were my first two things I learned in Chinese (Mandarin). Third was "hao gao" (so tall!), since I'm 6'6". Didn't need to go to school to learn that.

You should learn to say "ting bu dong" (I don't understand), it's the classic laowai (foreigner) response here.

Grumbaki's idea about an English major is excellent ... if they can speak an understandable English. I had to turn down 4 out of 6 English Majors as candidates for a secretary, due to poor English skills.  :o

/PS: The official pinyin is  xie-xie, as X is pronounced as an S in English.

DJL329

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2013, 09:59:53 AM »
Dylan,

Since you have a few weeks, I'd suggest renting the 14mm now, if possible, to see if 'works' for you.  If you don't have a large subject, it can make things look very small.  Holding it level, things look fairly normal; tilt it to get some interesting effects.

A couple of shots I did right after buying the original 14L.

Like using a fisheye, remember to watch your feet.  Oh, and don't go walking around with it while looking through the viewfinder or you will bump into things!  (Yes, voice of experience.  :-[)

Good luck and happy shooting!

-- Dan
Canon EOS 5D Mark III | EF 14mm f/2.8L | EF 28mm f/1.8 | EF 50mm f/1.4 | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | EF 300mm f/4L IS

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2013, 09:59:53 AM »