October 21, 2014, 10:41:40 PM

Author Topic: Backbutton Focus..do you use it? Pros? Cons? How hard to get used to it?  (Read 23918 times)

tolusina

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
Re: Backbutton Focus..do you use it? Pros? Cons? How hard to get used to it?
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2013, 08:51:49 PM »
I've gone the other way, at least I think it's bass ackwards from what most others do.
I've set the back 'AF On' button on my 6D to "Af Off".

I have only two lenses, 40 shorty and 24 - 105.
The focusing ring on the zoom responds as I expected, any time I grab that ring, I'm in control of focus.
The 40 doesn't do that at all, for me to have manual control, I have to switch to manual control.

Now, with back button 'Af Off", anytime I press the Af On button, I am now in control of focus, I can leave focus where the camera/lens set it, or fine tune as I like. If I want to return focus control to the camera/lens, I release the Af On/Off button.
If I hand the camera to someone else, all is normal for them.

I generally shoot in manual, f6.3, 125th, auto ISO. I've set the 'Set" button to ISO so I can quickly control that as desired though I cannot return to Auto ISO using the Set button.

40 on 6

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2013, 08:51:49 PM »

viggen61

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2013, 08:56:28 PM »
It took me a very brief time to adjust to back-button focus on my 7D. Now, I find it hard to go back!

I just wish that Canon's wired remotes supported the function!
Canon 7D

RAKAMRAK

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2013, 09:03:04 PM »
OP, so you were also watching the JD and Jasmine Star's "The Art of Being a Second Shooter". :)

I find the back button focusing (BBF) a fantastic option when doing work with still subjects - landscape, flowers in a garden, still life, portraits of adults etc. That is where I have enough time to focus and recompose. And it is so handy for the focus and recompose style of shooting (especially when you camera has only 9 AF points) But recently I was photographing a couple of toddlers who keep on running around and found that shutter button focusing (SBF) suited me more for that purpose (but that may be due to my limited understanding of the technique till now).

When sometimes I hand over my camera to another person to take a photograph of mine (or a group of people including me) I find it very difficult to explain to them the BBF. So I just flip the switch and change it to SBF. At least for my 40D and 50D it is very easy to do and moreover I have saved the shutter button/back button operation menu in the MY MENU set up to be able to do it fast when faced with the need.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 09:16:45 PM by RAKAMRAK »
Need to learn a lot more.
My Flickr Page

BrettS

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2013, 09:49:14 PM »
I use it and much prefer it. I'm strictly a hobbyist. However, I never looked back once I switched. I find it to be far more fluid and natural than a combined shutter button.

It's a single menu configuration on my 6D. Uber simple to try.

Pi

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Math and Photography
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2013, 11:01:16 PM »
I use it, combined with AI Servo. The outer AF points of my 5D2 focus great that way at f/1.4 (!)

I am just speculating here, but AI Servo focusing may be the "true closed loop" AF which the single shot AF may, or may not be. In any case, I find it much more reliable in low light, and since I always focus and recompose in some way, the back AF button is a must.

RAKAMRAK

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2013, 12:02:42 AM »
Found these three videos on youtube.... I found these very informative... some of you who are learning the AF like me may also find these useful....

Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAx86nblZ2g

Then you can easily find the Part 2 and Part 3 on youtube.....
My Flickr Page

alexanderferdinand

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2013, 12:50:06 AM »
Fotography as a hobby I spend a lot of time.

Found BBF for myself only 3 month ago; after using AF since the analog 50E......

Love it, learned it quickly.

And yes, others could have a problem with it when you hand over the camera, because they want to take a picture of you.....

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2013, 12:50:06 AM »

curby

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2013, 12:52:49 AM »
I first heard of this from Arthur Morris, and am considering switching as well.  He recommends leaving the camera in AI Servo mode all the time.  I like to hear the AF confirmation beep though, and that never happens on my old Rebel during AI Servo mode.  I know the idea is that it's continually tracking instead of locking focus, but a beep to confirm the initial focus acquisition would still be useful (to me).  Can newer bodies beep on initial focus during AI Servo mode, or do they still only ever beep during 1-Shot AF?

P.S. Does the back focus option stay set during Green Box mode?  I imagine you'd often want to go full auto when handing your camera to a total newbie anyway.

alexanderferdinand

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2013, 01:16:47 AM »
Addendum:
AF mode set to AI Servo, press the BB, hold it for tracking, leave it for a "pseudo one shot", and recompose without worrying loosing my focus.
Altogether it is a good thing to divide shutter from AF.
And the rate of keepers seems to be higher.

RAKAMRAK

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2013, 01:18:50 AM »

And yes, others could have a problem with it when you hand over the camera, because they want to take a picture of you.....

Assigning a My Menu setting for this can be useful.....
My Flickr Page

dswtan

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2013, 01:23:38 AM »
Serious hobbyist. Set to BBF a couple of years ago on 7D, then 5D2 and 3, and quickly came to like it.

But I also refined it further for me personally -- by swapping the AE lock (asterisk) and adjacent AF-ON buttons, since AE lock was bigger and more convenient to the right (and I seldom use AE lock, whereas the focus button was now used all the time).

Recently I've gone back to the default shutter combined mode for really fast moving things like flying insects and fast BIF, seeing if the advanced AF on my 5D3 would get more keepers that way. I'm not sure now. I think I'll be going BBF all the way at this point. The greater control is really nice and easy to use.
http://500px.com/dswtan  |  5D3, 7D, IR 5D2, IR M, G15

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2013, 01:35:38 AM »
Cant imagine life without back focus button.

Wilmark

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Wilmark Johnatty Photography
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2013, 02:14:48 AM »
Got use to it in two days. Dont want anything else.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2013, 02:14:48 AM »

pj1974

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • A selection of my photos (copyright)
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2013, 05:35:31 AM »
"Back in the good ol' days" I programmed my 350D to use the * (AE lock) button as a BBF.

Then, how glad I was when I moved up to my 7D, as it has a dedicated BBF button.  (And it's in the right spot for me).

It also only took me a few hours of shooting to become totally comfortable with BBF instead of shutter button.  I use my personalised and 'Quick menu' settings to set the shutter button back to AF for when I give my DSLR to friends to use / shoot a photo of me with.

Definitely prefer BBF for any situation now. Landscape (no need for lens to refocus when I've nailed the focus and are changing composition, etc). Same with so many other applications, eg macro, wildlife (including BIF), still life, etc, etc.

Paul
I'm not a brand-fanatic. What I do appreciate is using my 7D and 350D cameras along with a host of lenses & many accessories to capture quality photos, and share with friends.

Skirball

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2013, 11:26:20 AM »
I just wish that Canon's wired remotes supported the function!

What do wired and wireless remotes do, revert to setting the focus with the shutter?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2013, 11:26:20 AM »