November 26, 2014, 06:32:34 PM

Author Topic: Backbutton Focus..do you use it? Pros? Cons? How hard to get used to it?  (Read 24904 times)

ahab1372

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
Re: Backbutton Focus..do you use it? Pros? Cons? How hard to get used to it?
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2013, 12:41:05 PM »
I just wish that Canon's wired remotes supported the function!

What do wired and wireless remotes do, revert to setting the focus with the shutter?
You actually have to set the Shutter button back to AF and AE if you want the remote to trigger the autofocus. Otherwise the camera will take a picture without focusing

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2013, 12:41:05 PM »

cheeseheadsaint

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2013, 01:55:00 PM »
I always use backbutton focus and am very glad I read about it not long after I first got my XSi(so i think its easy to get used to). like many of the others i used it with AF servo. I shot birds in flight, sports, portraits. Funny thing is, I actually didn't know that you needed to tap it for one shot. I've always held it down -didn't realize you could do otherwise! good thing since i mostly shoot action.
Canon Rebel XSi, kit lens, 50mm f1.8, ef-s 55-250mm IS, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 6D

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2013, 03:01:59 PM »
Well,I'm gonna read up on it...and maybe give it a try this weekend.

Nothing like 'jumping into the fire' to get to try to learn how to do new things, eh?

:)

cayenne

Sporgon

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2013, 03:11:39 PM »
Personally I can't see why anyone who isn't using their slr as a point and shoot wouldn't want to use BBF. That method of focus plus improved AF in recent cameras and the all important AFMA has pretty well stopped me using manual focus now, which means I don't need as many L versions with their far superior manual focus.

Kernuak

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Avalon Light Photoart
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2013, 04:31:37 PM »
It does take a little while to retrain, but I think it's worth it. There are some additional benefits aside from those already mentioned. It saves the step of switching between MF and AF mode on lenses for certain shooting when you want to manually focus. Also, if you have a subject which moves quite quickly in one spot, then it is invaluable. An example froma few years ago, before my swithover, was when an adult starling was feeding a recently fledged youngster. Every time the feed happened, using normal AF, the camera immediately focused on the grass behind, which was a bit of a pain to say the least.
It isn't so much a case of switching back button focus on, but more of switching the normal AF off, as the default is to be able to focus from the back button or the shutter, instead of just the back button.

OH, I thought it was just one menu setting to change all AF to the back button.

I'll have to dig out the manual and try to read up on this....I'll give it a try this weekend I think!!

C
It is only one menu setting, but it is switching off the shutter release AF. The back button AF is already set, it's just that you normally have two methods by default, back button AND shutter release. You know you;re in the right place when you have the diagram of a camera, under Custom Controls.
Canon 5D MkIII, 7D, 300mm L IS f/2.8 and a few other L's

Gary W.

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2013, 07:59:10 PM »
...I bought one of those RED Spot buttons that people put on their shutter button. Punched out the center part and put it on the BBF " * " button and the left over part on the shutter button...so now, by feel alone, I always know the difference between the AF and AE buttons... And the only time I gave my camera to someone else to take a picture all I told them to do is to "hit the little Red button first and the big Red button second"  :D

Hey all,

What red spot button? Sounds interesting!

Gary W.
7D (gripped), 70D, Canon 50mm f1.4, Canon 85mm f1.8,  Canon 18-135 IS STM kit lens, Canon 70-300 f4-5.6 IS USM, Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC USD, Pixel Mago Speedlights (3), 430EX, 300EZ, Pixel King Pro and King X Triggers, RPS Studio Triggers

bigmag13

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2013, 08:33:14 PM »
I shoot weddings and events.  One of my favs about back focus is that it meters when you snap and tracks your subject. As far as handing my cam over to a person, I just put it in P or AUTO.
5D3,5D2,6D,70-200 2.8Lii, 135L, 24-70Lii, Sigma 15 fisheye, Sigma 35 1.4(A), Zeiss 2/50, 600rt x3 and a st-e3 RT

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2013, 08:33:14 PM »

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zeeography (flickr)
« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2013, 08:38:39 PM »
I've recently started using it. Takes a little getting used to at first but once you do it makes life easier. Great if you like to focus and then recompose. Also if your taking pictures of something with let's say people moving in front of you bbf will allow you to lock focus and then take the shot the decisive moment. It's hard to explain you just have to try it!

I dunno if there are any real drawbacks but there are some situations where the old method is preferable - maybe when there are no moving subjects or obstructions and you just want to point and shoot.
6D | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 f4L IS | 135L | SY 14 2.8 | Sigma 50 1.4

EOS M | 11-22 IS STM | 22 STM | FD 50 1.4

FunPhotons

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2013, 08:55:28 PM »
I use it. I like separating out focus and shoot, not sure why. Throws off others when they pick up my camera though :)

Krob78

• 1D X
  • When in Doubt, Press the Shutter...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2013, 09:17:43 PM »
I only use it when I'm taking photos...  :D  I used it on my 7d and it was the first thing I set up on my 5d MkIII...  I haven't found any other use for it if I'm not taking photos...  ::)

Enjoy using it this weekend, like most of us here, you'll probably never go back!
Ken

5D Mark III, 100-400L, 70-200 2.8L II, 24-105L, 16-35L IS, 17-40L, 85mm 1.8, Samy 14mm 2.8,  600 EX-RT, 580EX II, 430EX II, 1.4X III, 2.0X III

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2013, 11:03:22 PM »
I don't like it at all. So no.

I may set the button to FREEZE AF and occasionally use that. I like the super tele where you can use the freeze buttons around the lens rim a lot more though.

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2013, 12:10:51 AM »
I love BBF.  I used it and never turned back.  Focus-and-click is much faster this way and apart from that, I can pre-focus then just click.  This is also very good for panning and macro.  It doesn't take much time to get used to it.  After a couple of hundred shots, I'm more used to it now than the old focusing process.

Hillsilly

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2013, 04:06:26 AM »
Hey all,

What red spot button? Sounds interesting!

Gary W.
I think they are referring to a soft shutter release button.  They're not that common with Canon, as our cameras lack a threaded shutter release button for ye olde manual shutter cables.  But as mentioned, you can DIY.
Camera Obscura

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2013, 04:06:26 AM »

Valvebounce

• 1D X
  • Still can't use most of it to it's full potential!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2013, 04:42:20 AM »
Hi Guys
I switched over about 2 weeks ago, the day before my 17-85 iris ribbon failed! Lens fixed in 3 days once I decided to go ahead!
Only been back to taking pics for a couple of days and not had much opportunity to use it.
How long does it take before checking the first pic reminds you to focus! I have the camera set to one shot so I get a beep and the missing beep is the trigger to focus.
In theory (and in what little practice) I like it but I have not shot enough to tell if I will adapt, as an amateur I don't shoot regularly so I may not re-programme my brain soon enough to prevent missed shots, I do try to pick up the camera regularly to keep it current.

Cheers Graham.
7D + Grip, 40D + Grip, 20D, EF-S 17-85 Kit lens, EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS II USM, EF 2x III, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 C, 50mm f1.8, 550EX some Filters Remotes Macro tubes Tripod heads etc!
20D, BG-E2N, 17-85mm, 50mm are pre loved. :)
(300D Saved a holiday, E-FS 18-55 Cosina 100-300 retired)

caruser

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2013, 04:48:11 AM »
BBF rules!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2013, 04:48:11 AM »