October 22, 2014, 08:53:17 PM

Author Topic: Elite Brands, Inc. Announces Rokinon’s Newest 16mm T2.2 Cine Lens  (Read 2784 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors

Rokinon is thrilled to announce the release of its 16mm T2.2 Cine lens in September, 2013. The Rokinon 16mm is a wide-angle lens for DSLR and mirrorless cameras in both the APS-C and Micro Four Thirds formats.

This lens allows for an impressive range of depth of field, with its fast T2.2 aperture. With a smooth operating manual focus, the 16mm offers pristine sharpness and clarity. It is ideal for shooting landscapes, architecture and interiors, as well enjoying unique perspectives and close-ups with shallow depth of field.

The 16mm T2.2 Cine lens features de-clicked apertures and follow focus compatibility, which is ideal for video. The lens is constructed with a solid build, using 13 optical elements in 11 groups with 2 aspherical lenses.

Rokinon is proud to provide a wide range of mounts. The 16mm T2.2 lens will be available in Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sony, Canon M, Fujifilm X, Sony E, Samsung NX, as well as Micro Four Thirds cameras.

Rokinon continues its mission of “Excellence for Less.” See these great lenses at a Rokinon dealer near you or at www.rokinon.com.

cr

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

dmosier

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
Re: Elite Brands, Inc. Announces Rokinon’s Newest 16mm T2.2 Cine Lens
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 12:05:18 PM »
Sure, that sounds like a cool lens and all... but they already had a 14mm so I'm really not sure why this lens exists. Maybe they'll put a 15mm lens out next instead of the 50mm cine lens that is the glaring hole in their lineup.

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 12:32:50 PM »
Sure, that sounds like a cool lens and all... but they already had a 14mm so I'm really not sure why this lens exists. Maybe they'll put a 15mm lens out next instead of the 50mm cine lens that is the glaring hole in their lineup.

Might be that the 14mm has the weird mustache distortion, and at 16mm they can do a design cheaply enough that they don't have that. Still is super-wide/very wide depending on FF/crop, so it can still fill that role well enough.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 01:17:31 PM »
Like it's 16mm f/2 brother, this lens is unfortunately crop only.

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 01:21:48 PM »
Side note/question... Has anyone had any experience with the cine and non-cine versions of the same lens?  They're optically identical, but is there any build quality improvement on the cine version?

I'm looking at the 14/2.8 and the extra cost for the cine version would be worth it for a focus ring that isn't sloppy.

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 05:30:22 PM »
Side note/question... Has anyone had any experience with the cine and non-cine versions of the same lens?  They're optically identical, but is there any build quality improvement on the cine version?

I'm looking at the 14/2.8 and the extra cost for the cine version would be worth it for a focus ring that isn't sloppy.

Oh, it's a crop? That's unfortunate :(

Yea, the cine version will have a much longer focusing throw, and de-clicked aperture. It's also rated in T-stops instead of F-stops. Although with it being f/2 and T/2.2 I'm guessing that's a pretty decent actual transmission, although I don't know how that compares to other lenses.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

Chosenbydestiny

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 09:14:29 PM »
Almost got excited. Almost.
Nikon electric fan, gas stove, and slippers. Canon Elan 7, 1D Mark III, 5D mark III, and 2x6D. Canon 24mm Samyang/Rokinon, 85L, 135L, and many other lenses. 2x Canon 580ex II, third party speedlites, studio strobes

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 09:14:29 PM »

CarlMillerPhoto

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 09:30:01 PM »
Maybe they'll put a 15mm lens out next instead of the 50mm cine lens that is the glaring hole in their lineup.

Word.
My photography equipment goes here, apparently.

dmosier

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 12:12:29 PM »

Not used the two versions of the same lenses, but I've used the 85mm next to non-cine photo lenses and it is a world of difference in ease of use. We have a 35mm lens at work that has the tiniest lens throw I've ever seen. I'm talking half inch turn that changes focal plan 10 feet. Pulling focus with that thing is a pain.

But the 85 is a beauty to use.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 12:12:29 PM »