Gear Talk > Lighting

Rogue Flashbender

(1/4) > >>

Harry Muff:

Thinking about getting the large one for my 430EX.

Who here uses one? Is it all it's cracked up to be? Is the optional diffuser worth the extra?

notapro:
I've used one for those moments when a subject is harshly backlit, yet insists on having a shot taken anyway.

The example I have in mind is outdoors in broad daylight, with the subject standing in full shade.  Either the background will be tremendously blown out by exposing for the face, or the face will be unacceptably dark if exposing for the background.  Such a condition is manageable, but when the subject demands the shot anyway, the flashbender can help with fill flash.  Instead a "direct fill flash look" to the image, the flashbender serves as a nice bounce surface, softening--so to speak--the light on the subject.  Though the direction of the light is undeniably from straight on, the result is less undesirable than using flash aimed directly at the subject.

The large flashbender can be used as a snoot, and that capacity may add to the usefulness of the Rogue product for you.  I have not used the diffuser.

jdramirez:

--- Quote from: notapro on August 11, 2013, 12:37:31 AM ---I've used one for those moments when a subject is harshly backlit, yet insists on having a shot taken anyway.

The example I have in mind is outdoors in broad daylight, with the subject standing in full shade.  Either the background will be tremendously blown out by exposing for the face, or the face will be unacceptably dark if exposing for the background.  Such a condition is manageable, but when the subject demands the shot anyway, the flashbender can help with fill flash.  Instead a "direct fill flash look" to the image, the flashbender serves as a nice bounce surface, softening--so to speak--the light on the subject.  Though the direction of the light is undeniably from straight on, the result is less undesirable than using flash aimed directly at the subject.

The large flashbender can be used as a snoot, and that capacity may add to the usefulness of the Rogue product for you.  I have not used the diffuser.

--- End quote ---

What's a snoot? 

I bought one of these, but I'm waiting a week or so for delivery (long-ish story) and what I thought I would do is use it for off camera flash... so hopefully the results come out well.  I'm going to get the medium one... Seems a better fit for what I need it for.

ninjapeps:

--- Quote from: jdramirez on August 11, 2013, 01:28:19 AM ---What's a snoot? 

--- End quote ---

See here. Short version: it's a light mod that restricts how light spreads.

jp121:
I've used it. It works. I have the diffuser but haven't used it yet.

I personally like it because it can be stuffed into a bag, folded, squashed etc and is still usable.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version