October 23, 2014, 04:37:23 PM

Author Topic: Color Management Woes  (Read 4086 times)

roadrunner

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Color Management Woes
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2013, 06:10:12 AM »
Thanks AmbientLight. Of course, now that I've uploaded the image, it appears over saturated again -_- Even in Firefox and IE10, which are supposedly setup for color management.

Since I don't seem to be getting anywhere, I guess my final question should be: Should I just trust Photoshop/Lightroom's interpretation, and trust that my photo's online look fine? Does that blog post look overly red to you?

At the end of the day, I guess I don't care if my wide gamut display is making my sRGB photos look wonky, as long as I know they actually look correct, and I'm not giving my customers screwed up stuff. Oddly enough, the print I just received from WHCC falls smack in the middle of the saturation levels I am seeing online and in LR/PS, so that's not much help either =) Thanks again for your help.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2013, 06:10:12 AM »

AmbientLight

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2013, 06:22:35 AM »
Using Firefox 22 without any color management the images look the same, while using Internet Explorer 10 I can also see a slight increase in red saturation, although the difference is not much. I suspect that the more effective color management is in that situation, the more we become aware of slight differences, so for your customers it may all be pretty much the same. Nevertheless I believe it does not hurt to run tests using commonly available gear not being color calibrated at all just to see the results as they appear.

roadrunner

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2013, 10:31:14 PM »
I got the chance to view my website and photos from a couple different (Uncalibrated) computers, and everything seems to look fine. It would appear I've been banging my head against the wall for nothing.

For everyone else that is having the same issues with a wide-gamut monitor: Using ICCv2 profiles rather than ICCv4 for your monitor profile will make Windows Photo Viewer display your photos correctly. Furthermore, it would seem that Lightroom and Photoshop's interpretation of color is the correct one, if you have color management set up correctly.

For whatever reason, wide-gamut displays seem to display sRGB all crazy (Which I've read before), and I still don't fully understand why sometimes it was displaying correctly and other times it wasn't, but at least now I've discovered that LR/PS is correct and I should ignore whatever my browser is showing me. To recap, I had issues in Chrome, Firefox, and IE9/10. At least I can put my mind at ease knowing that I didn't give my last client screwed up images.

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2013, 12:00:38 AM »
I downloaded the image edited it in LR to reduce red saturation, and uploaded to Smugmug.  I don't see the saturation changing after my upload.

I realize that the image is not the same as your correct rendering, I merely wanted to see if uploading to my web site and linking to it changes the saturation.

Something is happening either due to your jpg conversion settings, or the software that renders the image.  If you want to send a copy of the original, I'll upload it and see what it does, something is happening when you convert to jpeg and upload.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 12:08:49 AM by Mt Spokane Photography »

roadrunner

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2013, 02:46:49 AM »
I downloaded the image edited it in LR to reduce red saturation, and uploaded to Smugmug.  I don't see the saturation changing after my upload.

I realize that the image is not the same as your correct rendering, I merely wanted to see if uploading to my web site and linking to it changes the saturation.

Something is happening either due to your jpg conversion settings, or the software that renders the image.  If you want to send a copy of the original, I'll upload it and see what it does, something is happening when you convert to jpeg and upload.

Thanks for the help. Like I mentioned in my previous post, I think I basically figured it out. Lightroom/Photoshop's interpretation is correct, my browsers just seem to freak out with sRGB. I guess that's just the nature of the beast when working on a calibrated wide-gamut display?

In any case, I am at work now, and I viewed my website on a couple work computers (uncalibrated), and the images look basically how I intended. I'm not seeing the drastic saturation changes that I was at home. As for the image you posted, it looks very desaturated on this PC, which would make sense if you desaturated it and it looked normal. More or less, I don't think the files are actually changing, now that I had a chance to view it on multiple PCs. The desaturate and saturated photos are exactly the same, even though my monitor/system for some reason interprets them differently once they are on the internet. I won't even begin to understand why.

Anyways, though we never figured out a specific reason, hopefully this thread will help someone. At least I know I can trust PS/LR. Thanks again all.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2013, 02:46:49 AM »