July 22, 2014, 10:35:41 PM

Author Topic: DIGIC 5 has landed  (Read 11607 times)

Ivar

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
DIGIC 5 has landed
« on: September 15, 2011, 09:44:40 AM »
First step towards upcoming SLR-s!

canon rumors FORUM

DIGIC 5 has landed
« on: September 15, 2011, 09:44:40 AM »

akiskev

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • My flickr gallery
Re: DIGIC 5 has landed
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 10:01:13 AM »
Let's see some new features Digic 5 brings.

From dpreview's sx40 hands on preview:

"The new DIGIC 5 image processor offers even more advanced noise reduction technology, giving up to 75% less noise2 at all ISO levels and producing more natural, blur-free results without needing to use a tripod or the flash. New Multi-area White Balance can make images look more natural by detecting situations where there are two different light sources and then applying area-specific white balance correction. For example, when shooting a casual portrait with flash inside a room lit with tungsten lighting, the camera will apply tungsten white balance on the background and flash white balance on the face, ensuring both the subject and the background keep their natural colours. "

"The new DIGIC 5 processor takes the high-speed shooting capabilities of the 12.1MP CMOS sensor to a new level, enabling photographers to capture every moment in stunning detail and quality. Photographers shooting fast-paced action can choose between shooting full resolution photos continuously to card capacity at 2.4 shots/sec., or with the new High-speed Burst HQ mode, a high-speed sequence of up to 8 full resolution shots can be captured at 10.3 shots/sec.

Alternatively, experiment with Super Slow Motion Movie – shooting VGA resolution video at 120fps (or QVGA resolution at 240fps) and playing it back at a fraction of the real speed3 - to add dramatic flair or analyse a goal or golf swing. For even greater support when shooting after dark without a tripod, Handheld Night Scene captures a high-speed sequence of shots, combining the image data to produce one well-exposed shot with minimal blur.
"
Flickr | Canon EOS 3 | Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
EF 17-40mm f/4L | EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS | EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS | EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L
Zeiss 35mm f/2.4 | Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 | Zeiss 85mm f/1.4 | Zeiss 200mm f/2.8 | Zeiss 80-200 f/4

Ivar

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 10:09:05 AM »
If Canon hasn't changed the idea of sharing DIGIC processor across the cameras I think most capabilities are hidden. I bet the story would be much different for SLRs.

By the way, the new Powershots are shy, not much flexibility in video. Wait till the next version for better one, if mobiles haven't trumped already those tiny sensors in compacts. 

Let's see some new features Digic 5 brings.

From dpreview's sx40 hands on preview:

"The new DIGIC 5 image processor offers even more advanced noise reduction technology, giving up to 75% less noise2 at all ISO levels and producing more natural, blur-free results without needing to use a tripod or the flash. New Multi-area White Balance can make images look more natural by detecting situations where there are two different light sources and then applying area-specific white balance correction. For example, when shooting a casual portrait with flash inside a room lit with tungsten lighting, the camera will apply tungsten white balance on the background and flash white balance on the face, ensuring both the subject and the background keep their natural colours. "

"The new DIGIC 5 processor takes the high-speed shooting capabilities of the 12.1MP CMOS sensor to a new level, enabling photographers to capture every moment in stunning detail and quality. Photographers shooting fast-paced action can choose between shooting full resolution photos continuously to card capacity at 2.4 shots/sec., or with the new High-speed Burst HQ mode, a high-speed sequence of up to 8 full resolution shots can be captured at 10.3 shots/sec.

Alternatively, experiment with Super Slow Motion Movie – shooting VGA resolution video at 120fps (or QVGA resolution at 240fps) and playing it back at a fraction of the real speed3 - to add dramatic flair or analyse a goal or golf swing. For even greater support when shooting after dark without a tripod, Handheld Night Scene captures a high-speed sequence of shots, combining the image data to produce one well-exposed shot with minimal blur.
"

DuLt

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 11:40:14 AM »
If Canon hasn't changed the idea of sharing DIGIC processor across the cameras I think most capabilities are hidden. I bet the story would be much different for SLRs.

By the way, the new Powershots are shy, not much flexibility in video. Wait till the next version for better one, if mobiles haven't trumped already those tiny sensors in compacts. 

Canon knows how to milk their cameras.
I like canon's IQ, even in high iso's, and their rebel ergonomics, but I have to admit that they are sortoff d*cks by making each camera not the best it can be, but by showcasing the least tech.

EYEONE

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 05:06:03 PM »

I like canon's IQ, even in high iso's, and their rebel ergonomics, but I have to admit that they are sortoff d*cks by making each camera not the best it can be, but by showcasing the least tech.

They aren't trying to be jerks. There would be little point it putting a full powered DigicV in a P&S. Are you made at Dell for releasing laptops with i3s when they could have used an i7?
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

DuLt

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 05:37:04 PM »

They aren't trying to be jerks. There would be little point it putting a full powered DigicV in a P&S. Are you made at Dell for releasing laptops with i3s when they could have used an i7?

I'm not complaining about that. Different products require different tech, i know that.
But i know canon's going to hold as much Digic V tech as they can so that they allways have an ace up their sleeve.
I don't like that because they are keeping cameras from getting better, due to marketing.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 05:37:04 PM »