April 20, 2014, 10:39:00 PM

Author Topic: Returned my D600. Thinking of a 6D. How do they compare? IQ? DR?  (Read 7918 times)

hassiman

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
I really like the lighter feel and the more comfortable grip of the 6D.  I returned my D600 due to dust problems... I have been a Canon G series user for YEARS and loved all of them.  In film days I used Nikon,,, F2s & F3s.

The D600 was uncomfortable but I lied the DR and IQ.

How do the 6D users here like the camera?

I do fine Art, Street photography and landscapes.

canon rumors FORUM

Apop

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Apophoto
Re: Returned my D600. Thinking of a 6D. How do they compare? IQ? DR?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 06:42:40 PM »
Dust problems or oil problems?,

I think it is pretty clear that the sensor in the nikon d600 is better in almost every aspect?
You could compensate by putting better lenses on your to be 6d than you had on your d600?

brad-man

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 07:42:35 PM »
I've never shot Nikon, but the 6D would be excellent for your purposes. According to CanonPriceWatch, refurbished 6Ds may be included in an upcoming 20% off refurb sale.

http://www.canonpricewatch.com/

Mt Spokane Photography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 08:05:59 PM »
IQ is going to be similar for any camera at low ISO's and for still or slow moving subjects..  The photographer makes 80% of the difference, the lens makes 19,9 % and whatever is left is due to the choice of body.

For challenging uses, low light, rapidly moving subjects, high DR, then different bodies will have their strong points. 

docsmith

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 08:41:00 PM »
Sorry to hear that you had to return your D600.

There was a great thread by Dustin Abbott on why he chose the 6D over the 5DIII.  I made a different choice and went with the 5DIII.  So I can't specifically talk about the 6D.  I can say the 5DIII IQ is great, more than I need, and from what I've seen the 6D might be minutely better.

Here is the thread:
http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=12847.0

The review over at TDP (my favorite site):
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EOS-6D-Digital-SLR-Camera-Review.aspx

Roger Cicala/Lensrentals.com on why he bought the 6D for his personal camera:
http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/02/roger-buys-a-camera-system-finally

Finally, the flickr 6D group:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/2023253@N24/
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 08:46:44 PM by docsmith »

docsmith

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 09:06:48 PM »
Forgot image resource. They have a direct comparison at the bottom of the review:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/canon-6d/canon-6dA.HTM

LetTheRightLensIn

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 09:23:21 PM »
I really like the lighter feel and the more comfortable grip of the 6D.  I returned my D600 due to dust problems... I have been a Canon G series user for YEARS and loved all of them.  In film days I used Nikon,,, F2s & F3s.

The D600 was uncomfortable but I lied the DR and IQ.

How do the 6D users here like the camera?

I do fine Art, Street photography and landscapes.

high iso is great on the 6D (not that the D600 is bad, they both have about the same SNR but the 6D has 1/2 stop better DR by ISO2500 or so and around 2/3rds plus at ISO 8000 or so)

at low ISO100-400, especially 100-200 the D600 has VASTLY better DR though

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 09:23:21 PM »

Ryan708

• EOS M2
  • Less bickering, more shooting
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 09:35:40 PM »
Magic Lantern will have 14 stops of DR on it in no time :-P You will find most people like the color rendition of the 6D more than the Nikon, and the High ISO does very well on the canon. Menu systems will make more sence (in my opionion)

I am considering a 6D soon(ish, stupid money) But when I shoot a wedding I am damn near terrified of my 60D having an SD card S___ the bed. And I would have the same fear using the 6D with it's single card slot.
60D, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4, Tamron 70-300 4-5.6 VC, EF 50mm 1.8II, and a Sigma EF-610 DG superflash

silvestography

• Rebel T5i
  • Armed with a camera and some ideas.
    • View Profile
    • Silvestography
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 11:11:04 PM »
I'd say go for it. For the work you do I don't think any of the 6d's downfalls will be too much of a detriment. If CanonPriceWatch is correct about that sale, I'd try and snag an old cheap powershot off ebay, and use it for the canon loyalty program. I might be wrong about this but you should be able to use that 20% discount in conjunction with whatever other sale is going on, giving you a ~$1000 6d. If that's the case, I may have to snag one for myself  ;)
http://silvestography.tumblr.com
6D | 600D | Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 | Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 VC | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 | Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 600ex-rt

dtaylor

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013, 12:03:01 AM »
The DR difference is exaggerated in online forums. If you want to fight in forums, Canon sensors have more shadow pattern noise at 100% on screen. If you want to make normal sized prints, the latest version of ACR lets you recover a great deal of shadow detail. IMHO the ability to recover shadow detail is limited by the tonality of said detail, and both cameras hit that limit at the same time. But that's the difference between someone who makes prints and someone who scrutinizes 100% crops and DxO graphs in forums.

Based on the samples I've seen I would say the 6D looks better at high ISO by a stop.

Other then that it comes down to the photographer.

duydaniel

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2013, 12:32:49 AM »
Rule #1:
Do not engage Nikon discussion on a Canon forum  :'(

dilbert

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2013, 12:33:06 AM »
I really like the lighter feel and the more comfortable grip of the 6D.  I returned my D600 due to dust problems...

The dust problems with the 6D will be the same as the D600.

You need to improve your workflow to include regular cleaning of the sensor box and lens rear element, not buy a different camera.

drjlo

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2013, 01:11:56 AM »
A friend of mine just came back from a 15-day trip through national parks, carrying his D600.  Before the trip, he was so happy his new D600 did not have the oil spot problem.  He came back and said once he started clicking away, logging many shots, oil spots started to develop, now with the whole left upper quadrant showing many oil spots, which are present on all these beautiful photo's of national parks  :(

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2013, 01:11:56 AM »

LetTheRightLensIn

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2013, 02:39:59 AM »
The DR difference is exaggerated in online forums. If you want to fight in forums, Canon sensors have more shadow pattern noise at 100% on screen. If you want to make normal sized prints, the latest version of ACR lets you recover a great deal of shadow detail. IMHO the ability to recover shadow detail is limited by the tonality of said detail, and both cameras hit that limit at the same time. But that's the difference between someone who makes prints and someone who scrutinizes 100% crops and DxO graphs in forums.

Based on the samples I've seen I would say the 6D looks better at high ISO by a stop.

Other then that it comes down to the photographer.

No they don't hit that tonality at the same time. The Canon, at low ISO only, hits it a good 2 full stops sooner. Funny that is meaningless and yet a 1/2 stop plus at the high-end is a radical advantage.... let's be fair and honest about things, there is no need to insist that the cam you have has to be the single best at every last thing, if it is not at something, it is not.

Skulker

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2013, 03:10:20 AM »
Any question like this is going to attract lots of heated debate, that will deteriorate into Drivel with lots of quotes and comparisons that the author is absolutely convinced makes perfect sense.

Ultimately you will be able to take good pictures with either camera. If you work with the limitations of either you will be able to take great pictures, if you are capable.

I'm a canon user and very pleased with the equipment I have. But I have no doubts that if I used nikon no one who looked at my images could tell the difference.

The differences are not very significant. Use what you like, and don't listen to the pixel peepers or the people who play top trumps with spec sheets.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2013, 03:10:20 AM »