November 29, 2014, 12:47:37 AM

Author Topic: Magic Lantern insecurities...  (Read 4836 times)

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Magic Lantern insecurities...
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2013, 03:28:22 PM »
Part of me wonders if Canon marketing understands that it is a good thing

After a recent trip to the local electronics market/discounter shop and listening in to the conversations of people buying 7d-6d type gear I think what Canon marketing knows is: 90% of their customers don't care or have a clue, and those who do buy 1d type bodies with enough fw featues out of the box.

Plus the competition isn't any better, even Sony dslrs with an evf show a complete lack of imagination about what you can do with a dslr - so why should Canon bother and rock the boat?

The ml research shows that the Canon tech guys put a lot of features inside the digic processors, it's just that even their own firmware doesn't use it... more features mean more testing, bugs and support costs.

You are not listening in the right spots. Go to all the video/movie blogs and talk to those sorts. They were the sorts who made the 5D2 fly off the shelves. Overhearing people at the BB counter doesn't mean anything.

Because they have all sorts of competition coming in from all over. Video/movie guys are not fanboys and if you think people get harsh in the stills dominated forums check out what the movie types say....
some of the hugest names were already saying years ago they couldn't believe Canon was deciding to handle it this way.

Also note that the 5D3 price suddenly way spiked after the ML RAW release.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2013, 03:28:22 PM »

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2013, 01:17:22 AM »
Because they have all sorts of competition coming in from all over. Video/movie guys are not fanboys and if you think people get harsh in the stills dominated forums check out what the movie types say

Interesting to know - as I don't video I have no idea about these customers. But it makes me feel a bit more moderate because around here I'm usually one of the most critical members towards Canon corp policy :-)

.... some of the hugest names were already saying years ago they couldn't believe Canon was deciding to handle it this way.

The imho most probably explanation for that was posted here some time ago from a guy who knows his way around large companies - he said that he believes the Canon execs are the conservative, quarterly shareholder value types who play it safe and milk what they have ... and that the only way to change this is to replace these people, willingly by old age or by getting fired.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2013, 01:17:22 AM »