October 20, 2014, 04:57:20 AM

Author Topic: Finally did a few paying jobs now what?  (Read 5537 times)

surapon

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • 80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
    • View Profile
Re: Finally did a few paying jobs now what?
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2013, 12:56:34 PM »
I got a chance to shoot a bday party, baby portrait, corp event. And wondering where do I go from here.
Started a site (work in progress) but just not sure where to invest next for props advertising etc. any suggestions would be helpful

Www.allophotography.com

Could have used props for the baby. Could have used a macro for the baby but want to spend my money wisely. Gear is in my sig.

Dear Mr. KKC.
Just my Ideas =
1) Now , If You still have a good jobs, Such as Doctor, Engineer, Architect, IT, Graphic Designer-----ETC. Just continue Working on your Old job, And Make the Salary money to buy the New Photography Equipment and Enjoy your Photography Hobby and Some Golf + Traveling.
2) If you hate your old Job, Just Try to find the New job that you love ( But Make a lot of Money too) = Use That New Money to Buy the Photography Equipment and Traveling around the World , on Photographic Vacation-----But If You love The Photography so much than the Money that you make with your old job---Let Jump to the Mud Pool  and Play the mud with Millions of the people who think they are the Best Photographers in this world, because they have top of the Line Canon/ Nikon Cameras and 250 L Lenses in his storage shack.
Yes, When you are the " PRO "= who make  80% of their income/ Money in each month from Photography---Yes, The Job will come of DEAD Lines, PROMISE , HEADACHES ---Miss the Dead Line, No new Job, Not Enough money to buy the mink coat for your wife, No real vacation for your family in next ten years---AND PLUS your love Photography Hobby are gone to the drain = Just Pain in the neck to make the Best Photos that make the clients love and happy of final set of Photos, Yes, Although it look like the shits to you.
Yes, Like to do 3 days= pre wedding and Wedding  Photos in  Some Beautiful Place far away from your home town, The Real PRO will charge 12, 000 US Dollars Minimum ( Plus free Hotel + Meals from the  wedding Couple's Mom and Dad), No,  some one can do it for free of charge , If the client provide room + Board + airplane ticket = That Great Vacation for Them too. Yes,  You lose that wedding job, Now.
Just 5% of the Great Photographers make their great Income as the Upper Middle class citizen in this world---95% of the World Photographers are the Most Proud People but  Poor People with less money or no money---If They do not another job or another  income to support their love Hobby.---Yes, If you go to play golf in the Golf club, You can see the Million of golfers play the golf, But How many Tiger Wood , who you know ?
Just is my Idea----Sorry, I might have the Wrong Ideas.
Just do as the great Hobby and get some money if you can---to have FUN, Our Life are too short to worry of any thing that can go wrong.
Surapon

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2013, 12:56:34 PM »

Halfrack

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2013, 12:57:52 PM »
Basic advice:

Learn to take things in stride, the internet can be harsh, but go with it, since you have the time to compose yourself.  You don't get that time in front of a client.

Hide your family.  Literally, don't publicly post things on your 'professional' site that are family images, as you have an emotional ties to the images.  They can also be used against you - think of how you'll react when someone tells you they're crap images, feel bad for the family, etc.

Lighting, literally work an hour a day on lighting.  You have a single flash, and while it can do wonders, you'll find there are times when it isn't enough.  Figure out how to work with light directly - flash, reflectors, positioning, time of day.

Pay for a portfolio review.  You may or may not listen to folks here, but find someone who is a working professional whom you trust and have them do a review.  Have them talk you through some images as to where you can improve.  It can make a huge difference.
"Me owning a lens shop is kind of like having an alcoholic bar tender." - Roger Cicala

takesome1

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2013, 01:14:28 PM »
The site homepage was put back to the original and should be simpler. I will further tweak it tonight. Please remember I have only been working on it for 6 days periodically. I also think people should comment truthfully but put your money were your mouth is and show a link to your well put together site if you want to truly put your point across.

The pictures you posted now are much better.

You did ask for any suggestion right?
If you wanted only Professional photogs that have established their own site you should have said so.
Expect some very rough criticism from that crowd, they tend to chew up and spit out the new comers.

unfocused

• View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2013, 01:21:29 PM »
I don't want to pile on, so I'll just say that I agree with the comments from Paul, Surapan and others here.

I list my personal website below. Never seen the point in listing a bunch of toys. I'd rather let people see what I shoot and let them judge by that. It's a hobby for me. I can't make enough from photography to equal what I make in my day job.

If people are paying you to take photographs, then you've got a start and I'm not going to critique your images – money talks. I would point out some problems with your website. I'm familiar with these issues since I put my own website together and do a lot of website management in my real job. 

When I click on "browse" I get to a page where half the folders are locked. That's a real waste of valuable screen space and a turn-off for potential clients. If they are private folders, they shouldn't be on your public website. If they are client folders, they should be in a special client section and not on a general page.

When I click on any of the pictures on your front page, it takes me to a slide show of all the pictures on the front page -- okay, I guess... but it isn't offering me anything that I can't see on the front page.

The bigger problem is that once I'm on that slide show page, there is no link back to the home page or anywhere else on your site. The only way to navigate back to the home page is to hit the back button on my browser. Every page of any website should have a link back to the homepage.

I was going to give you some more advice, but as I thought about it, the more I decided that others have pretty well covered it. About the only thing I would add is: "don't quit your day job."  Just keep doing what you have been doing for the next several years and at some point you'll either find you have enough business to justify doing it professionally, or you will find you can't make it work. Honestly and candidly, my reaction to your pictures is about the same as others, but it doesn't matter what I think. If people are willing to pay you for your pictures, that is the only opinion that counts.

pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

surapon

• 80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2013, 02:35:32 PM »
Dear Friends .
One of the top Photographer profession IN THE WORLD THAT ALL OF PHOTOGRAPHERS DREAM ( Include Me too---Ha, Ha, Ha----too small salary/ income to be the BEST OF THE BEST in this job):

" National Geographic Staff Photographer Earnings

National Geographic staff photographer Michael "Nick" Nichols avoids putting a direct figure on a staff shooter's annual salary, although he reveals earnings are in the ballpark of $100,000 each year. That figure, however, encompasses his salary as well as his own freelance work managing his archive of photographs for use in other publications and projects.

Job Outlook

National Geographic only employs five staff photographers, according to Nichols, and the bulk of its photos are contributed by freelance photographers. With 50 to 60 photographers employed regularly by the magazine, about 90 percent are freelancers being paid on a piecework basis. The five staff photographers employed by the magazines are experienced enough to have reached the final third of their career.

Freelance Rates

National Geographic's "Traveller" magazine pays photographers on a day rate for assignments. As of December 2010, its day rate is $425, with most assignments lasting 10 to 14 days. An average 12-day assignment would net a freelancer $5,100, although that rate also covers the necessary editing and post-production work needed to bring photographs up to the magazine's publishable standards.

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/info_7755532_salary-national-geographic-staff-photographer.html#ixzz2dr842rRe
 "

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/articles/how-much-does/photographer-salary/
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 02:47:04 PM by surapon »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2013, 02:43:08 PM »
You've received lots of good advise, the issue is to prioritize it.  This is a gear site, so the natural tendancy is to recommend more gear.

I'd recommend that you include lighting in your list of wants.

Then, a business plan that gets you from where you are to where you want to be.  If you plan to do everything yourself, you will have to plan to be small.  If you want to make a living, you will need to consider how to work your way up to get corporate advertising accounts.  I don't think you will be able to make much of a living doing birthdays and senior photos.  Weddings will require that you grow the business to have a assistant/backup.  We all get sick or have accidents, but one slip and you are out!

There are some very good training videos on creative live, even coverage of the business end.   Invest time and money learning.

unfocused

• View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2013, 02:50:30 PM »
Dear Friends .
One of the top Photographer profession IN THE WORLD THAT ALL OF PHOTOGRAPHERS DREAM ( Include Me too---Ha, Ha, Ha----too small salary/ income to be the BEST OF THE BEST in this job):

" National Geographic Staff Photographer Earnings

National Geographic staff photographer Michael "Nick" Nichols avoids putting a direct figure on a staff shooter's annual salary, although he reveals earnings are in the ballpark of $100,000 each year. That figure, however, encompasses his salary as well as his own freelance work managing his archive of photographs for use in other publications and projects.

Job Outlook

National Geographic only employs five staff photographers, according to Nichols, and the bulk of its photos are contributed by freelance photographers. With 50 to 60 photographers employed regularly by the magazine, about 90 percent are freelancers being paid on a piecework basis. The five staff photographers employed by the magazines are experienced enough to have reached the final third of their career.

Freelance Rates

National Geographic's "Traveller" magazine pays photographers on a day rate for assignments. As of December 2010, its day rate is $425, with most assignments lasting 10 to 14 days. An average 12-day assignment would net a freelancer $5,100, although that rate also covers the necessary editing and post-production work needed to bring photographs up to the magazine's publishable standards.

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/info_7755532_salary-national-geographic-staff-photographer.html#ixzz2dr842rRe
 "

This really puts it in perspective. Doing the math, a $425 Day rate means you would have to work 52 weeks a year, five days a week to earn $110,500. Of course, no freelancer would ever work that much. Probably lucky to work half that amount. And, that's for what passes as the top of the heap for photojournalism these days.

Now you know why people like Joe McNally, Scott Kelby, etc., focus on books, training videos and workshops. Actual photography represents only a small fraction of their income.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2013, 02:50:30 PM »

KKCFamilyman

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Nicholas J Allo Photography
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2013, 05:32:07 PM »
Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I am just starting out and do not plan to quit my day job. This will never be more than a part time hobby. Just was looking for suggestions and got some so thanks to everyone who took the time to contribute.
1Dx, 5D3, 16-35 f4 L IS, 24-70L II, 70-200 f2.8 IS II L, Sigma 35mm 1.4, 85mm 1.2 ii L, 100mm 2.8L macro, 70-300 L, 40mm 2.8, 3 x 600ex rt, ST-E3

Famateur

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2013, 08:21:25 PM »
KKCFamilyman, thanks for asking the questions. It allowed me to benefit from the responses without having to have thick skin myself. :)

syder

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2013, 09:55:14 PM »

The other thing you'll need for professional work is a thick skin.  A paying client would have tore you a new @rsehole if you presented some of the stuff you've posted.  And some will do that even when the work meets their brief and meets a professional technical competency.
It takes lots of things to go pro (from my experience in video that is) and a good camera is the least of it.

^^ this.

...and I'd add in bucketloads of patience and an unflinchingly polite and positive attitude in the face of frustrating situations...

For when you've met the brief and the client changes their mind and keeps wanting changes made because it turns out they want something different from what they've asked for... For when you have to deal with bridezilla over a year long period where she gets increasingly stressed out by having to organise her big day... For when due to circumstances beyond your control things look a little lame (there were three people at your corporate event... how do you expect it to look busy when there was no-one there?)... and for generally dealing with some fairly odious and obnoxious people who will be paying your bills for the time being.

Sure you'll also find clients who are a joy to work with, respect you and your work and make your profession fun and economically rewarding, but especially when starting out (as you don't have a load of clients who you enjoy working with on a regular basis and for whom you're their go to guy) you will probably have a few nightmares.

adebrophy

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • xtrashot PR and Photographic
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2013, 09:39:57 AM »
Hey - kudos KKC for taking on board some of that advice and changing up your site. The cut down selection of photos now does your ability justice.

Even if you are doing this on the side (as I am) then I still recommend looking at insurance so you can still keep yourself and clients safe. That's insurance as in a spare camera body and as in third party liability.

Also, I can echo the comments on learning lighting. I got huge amounts of great and free tuition from Adorama TV and David Hobby's strobist site.

Here's my gallery - www.xtrashot.com
5D mk ii, 40D, Canon 24-105 L, Canon 100 f2.8 L, Canon 135 f2 L, Canon 40mm f2.8, Canon 70-200 f4L,  Canon 50 f1.8, Canon 600 EX RT, 2x Canon 430ii

KKCFamilyman

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Nicholas J Allo Photography
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2013, 10:02:02 AM »
Hey - kudos KKC for taking on board some of that advice and changing up your site. The cut down selection of photos now does your ability justice.

Even if you are doing this on the side (as I am) then I still recommend looking at insurance so you can still keep yourself and clients safe. That's insurance as in a spare camera body and as in third party liability.

Also, I can echo the comments on learning lighting. I got huge amounts of great and free tuition from Adorama TV and David Hobby's strobist site.

Here's my gallery - www.xtrashot.com

Thanks
I did work on cutting it down. I do plan on working on my lighting. Definitely an area in need of improving but to be honest I am just going to take it as it comes. Skills need to be refined but insurance, business plans, seo are beyond the scope of the size I want to be and can commit right now. I have a great career and do not plan on turning this fun hobby to a job.
1Dx, 5D3, 16-35 f4 L IS, 24-70L II, 70-200 f2.8 IS II L, Sigma 35mm 1.4, 85mm 1.2 ii L, 100mm 2.8L macro, 70-300 L, 40mm 2.8, 3 x 600ex rt, ST-E3

AcutancePhotography

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2013, 12:00:56 PM »
Go to www.youarenotaphotographer.com

Look at the pictures

Don't do stuff like thatl   ;D

Good luck with it. 
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2013, 12:00:56 PM »

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2013, 05:54:34 PM »
It's not going to be easy. Could take year(s). If you really want it, learn how to master PP. Hint: Lightroom is not enough.

I have 4 friends(pro wedding). First couple years, they made no almost no profits. Years went by, they now top 10 wedding pro in Orange County, CA.

http://benjaminweddingstudio.com

Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

Sella174

• 5D Mark III
  • So there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2013, 06:26:21 AM »
Go to www.youarenotaphotographer.com

Brilliant ... looks like the stuff of the "pros" in my locale.
Happily ignoring the laws of physics and the rules of photography to create better pictures.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2013, 06:26:21 AM »