September 22, 2014, 08:44:29 AM

Author Topic: Adobe Announces Photoshop & Lightroom for $9.99/mth  (Read 23995 times)

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Adobe Announces Photoshop & Lightroom for $9.99/mth
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2013, 04:40:30 PM »
This tells me their plan is a failure. Just hold out folks and they will go back to perpetual licenses. We just have to hope that not to many people go for this. If they hold out it now seems clear Adobe will have to back track.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2013, 04:40:30 PM »

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2013, 04:44:42 PM »
This is actually tempting but for 2 things.  1.) I have CS2.  Once Lightroom became more functional, its pretty much the only Adobe photo product I use so I didn't upgrade.   I'm probably the only person out here on CS2 but still, no deal for me!   & 2.) Adobe will carry this only until they have the base they need/want and then they'll bump the price or degrade the access to the point that no one will want it.   So $10/month really isn't bad (said the spider to the fly) but..... 

I would put one change on Neuro's turn of phrase:  Teach a person to fish, you lose an income stream. I truly believe that Adobe no longer sees us as customers, simply lemmings to be herding, manipulated, etc.

Please don't be confused, Adobe is, I believe, a publicly traded company...and as such they are only answerable to the shareholders for providing them profit.<P>
The customers are just a necessity to do this, but the customer is not their primary concern or obligation.

Once I got this concept down, I can easily understand what corporations are trying to do, maximize shareholder profits, nothing more.

It isn't personal, it is purely business....the only way the consumer can fight back, is with the pocketbook.

Which is wonder about the extreme fanboy reaction to defend a company's honor to the utmost these days when so many companies clearly do everything they can to get away maximally taking advantage of their own customers and fanboys. Some even carry out studies to test out how far they possibly push annoy hurt and anger customers without quite losing enough to hurt them. Some then try to push it even yet a bit farther and get burned.
If the companies are free to do that why do the lemmings have to clap and applaud it? They aren't looking out for the best of the customer so why does the customer have to look out for the best for them? (not that I can blame the companies for maximizing what they can, but they can't get upset if the customers then start whining).

« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 06:06:57 PM by LetTheRightLensIn »

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2013, 04:46:01 PM »
Should I accept the offer (I own- pardon me- I am allowed to use CS6), and I stop paying: is my license of CS6 still valid or not?
I still don't want it, just curious.
Thanks for information.
BTW.: on the german Adobe homepage I don't find this offer.

if it is not still valid, then it would be an abominably bad deal.

brad-man

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2013, 04:50:15 PM »
This is actually tempting but for 2 things.  1.) I have CS2.  Once Lightroom became more functional, its pretty much the only Adobe photo product I use so I didn't upgrade.   I'm probably the only person out here on CS2 but still, no deal for me!   & 2.) Adobe will carry this only until they have the base they need/want and then they'll bump the price or degrade the access to the point that no one will want it.   So $10/month really isn't bad (said the spider to the fly) but..... 

I would put one change on Neuro's turn of phrase:  Teach a person to fish, you lose an income stream. I truly believe that Adobe no longer sees us as customers, simply lemmings to be herding, manipulated, etc.

Please don't be confused, Adobe is, I believe, a publicly traded company...and as such they are only answerable to the shareholders for providing them profit.<P>
The customers are just a necessity to do this, but the customer is not their primary concern or obligation.

Once I got this concept down, I can easily understand what corporations are trying to do, maximize shareholder profits, nothing more.

It isn't personal, it is purely business....the only way the consumer can fight back, is with the pocketbook.

Which is wonder about the extreme fanboy reaction to defend a company's honor to the utmost these days when so many companies clearly do everything they can to get away maximally taking advantage of their own customers and fanboys. Some even carry out studies to test out how far they possibly push annoy hurt and anger customers without quite losing enough to hurt them. Some then try to push it even yet a bit farther and get burned.
If the companies are free to do that why do the lemmings have to clap and applaud it? They aren't looking out for the best of the customer so why does the customer have to look out for the best for them?

That's been AT&Ts business plan for years ;)

Ivar

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2013, 04:50:46 PM »
Adobe: "To be clear, $9.99 is not an introductory price. It is the price for those of you who sign up by December 31, 2013."

For how long?

Does it imply that if one signs up later than December 31, 2013, one will get a higher price from there on? I suppose there will be an option for those, even without PS.

So anybody joining in at a later stage will pay more?

If so, why should I believe that the price is not the "To be clear, $9.99 is not an introductory price" i.e. there will exist two pricing for the same thing after the December 31, 2013. If there are co-existing 2 pricing, I suppose they become the same at some point, supposedly the higher one taking over?

Looks to me, it is a try to get the owners of a CS 3 or higher on board with a limited time offer and they need to pay more than 10$ after a while.

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2013, 04:51:20 PM »
Is this $9.95 for both products in perpetuity or is it just an introductory offer that will soon pop back up to $19.95 or $29.95 in a year?  This part: "The catch is you must own a copy of Photoshop CS3 or higher to qualify for the limited time pricing of $9.99 per month (sign-up before December 31, 2013)" sounds "fishy".

Hmm it's pretty unclear. Is it a limited time to permanently (or very long term at least, I mean in 30 years $10 won't be worth what it is today and in 100 years....) get $10 a month or a limited time to sign up to get to pay only $10 a month for a limited time (said time could end after the first month or two for all you know).

Anyway for those who need PS, PP and AE it all becomes much worse.

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2013, 05:02:32 PM »
Adobe: "To be clear, $9.99 is not an introductory price. It is the price for those of you who sign up by December 31, 2013."

For how long?

Does it imply that if one signs up later than December 31, 2013, one will get a higher price from there on? I suppose there will be an option for those, even without PS.

If so, why should I believe that the price is not the "To be clear, $9.99 is not an introductory price" i.e. there will exist two pricing for the same thing after the December 31, 2013. If there are co-existing 2 pricing, I suppose they become the same at some point, supposedly the higher one taking over?

Looks to me, it is a try to get the owners of a CS 3 or higher on board with a limited time offer and they need to pay more than 10$ after a while.

So by saying it is not an introductory price they seem to be implying that you would get $10 forever so long as you never stop paying at any point (unless they are being real weasels and mean that is not an introductory price in that it will not always be introductory for $10 for a few months for everyone but only for those who sign up by December and then they get a special price of $10 for a few months or something, that would be really stoatish way to expect it to be parsed though, not sure even Adobe would pull that??).

It still doesn't seem like anything special, if you only ever used PS and never lightroom, compared to the old model. This is $360 every three years. That seems to be, at best, no worse than before, and potentially a fair amount worse.

And this whole magic cloud talk is just so ridiculous. How the heck did many people get the products before. Downloaded from the internet from Adobe. How do you get the magic 'creative' cloud version you download the same thing from the internet from Adobe. What the heck is the difference? It's the exact same thing 100%! How is something that is the exact same as formerly existed creative? The only difference is that they now charge per month with no continued usage and before you paid and owned it.

Rental vs ownership that is THE only difference. They should call it Adobe Rental not Adobe CC.

The whole cloud thing is such a big bunch of nonsense made up by marketing psychologists to come up with pretty terms to manipulate customers.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2013, 05:02:32 PM »

LarryC

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2013, 05:22:41 PM »
For many businesses the CC thing may make economic sense.  For many small shops and most hobbyists, it does not, and this is just Adobe trying to seduce us into their perpetual-payments scheme.  They presumed us version-skippers were not an important part of their business but I bet we are a larger customer base than they wanted to admit and they are scrambling to find a way to entice us into the bright light of the Cloud.  DON'T GO! 

ag25

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2013, 05:27:55 PM »
Like their software, Adobe's head is in the cloud on this one.

Did the whole Microsoft Xbox fiasco not do enough to scare them?

risc32

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2013, 05:35:42 PM »

For how long?

So by saying it is not an introductory price they seem to be implying that you would get $10 forever so long as you never stop paying at any point (unless they are being real weasels and mean that is not an introductory price in that it will not always be introductory for $10 for a few months for everyone but only for those who sign up by December and then they get a special price of $10 for a few months or something, that would be really stoatish way to expect it to be parsed though, not sure even Adobe would pull that??).

It still doesn't seem like anything special, if you only ever used PS and never lightroom, compared to the old model. This is $360 every three years. That seems to be, at best, no worse than before, and potentially a fair amount worse.

And this whole magic cloud talk is just so ridiculous. How the heck did many people get the products before. Downloaded from the internet from Adobe. How do you get the magic 'creative' cloud version you download the same thing from the internet from Adobe. What the heck is the difference? It's the exact same thing 100%! How is something that is the exact same as formerly existed creative? The only difference is that they now charge per month with no continued usage and before you paid and owned it.

Rental vs ownership that is THE only difference. They should call it Adobe Rental not Adobe CC.

The whole cloud thing is such a big bunch of nonsense made up by marketing psychologists to come up with pretty terms to manipulate customers.

yup.

David Hull

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2013, 05:42:00 PM »
Is this $9.95 for both products in perpetuity or is it just an introductory offer that will soon pop back up to $19.95 or $29.95 in a year?  This part: "The catch is you must own a copy of Photoshop CS3 or higher to qualify for the limited time pricing of $9.99 per month (sign-up before December 31, 2013)" sounds "fishy".

Hmm it's pretty unclear. Is it a limited time to permanently (or very long term at least, I mean in 30 years $10 won't be worth what it is today and in 100 years....) get $10 a month or a limited time to sign up to get to pay only $10 a month for a limited time (said time could end after the first month or two for all you know).

The reason I asked is that I think that $10 /mo is not a bad price to pay for a PSCSx license as an individual but $20 is a bit excessive.  LR has gotten so good that I just don't go to PS that much anymore and LR offers a perpetual license (so far anyway).

agierke

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2013, 05:43:05 PM »
um yeah....thx but no thx adobe.
5D3, 5D2, 5DC, s15mm Fish, 24mm TSE, 35mm F1.4L, 50mm F1.2L, 85mm F1.8, 100mm F2.8L, 24-70mm F2.8L, 70-200mm F2.8L, 580EX, 580EX2, 600EXRT

unfocused

• View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2013, 05:45:08 PM »
Should I accept the offer (I own- pardon me- I am allowed to use CS6), and I stop paying: is my license of CS6 still valid or not?
I still don't want it, just curious.
Thanks for information.
BTW.: on the german Adobe homepage I don't find this offer.

I took advantage of the $19.99 pricing (U.S.) for CS6 customers to upgrade to CC full suite right before it expired. I figured I'd try it for a year and see what happens. I actually expected Adobe to extend the offer, but it appears they let it expire Sept. 1, so I'm glad I pulled the trigger.

To answer your question: CS6 remains loaded on my machine. I still have a valid CS6 license and should I need to reload (say, for example, if I replace my computer), my understanding from Adobe is that I can always reload my CS6. They are also continuing to add bug fixes to CS6 and, from what I have read, it sounds like they will continue to update with new camera profiles, etc., just won't add new features.

I have tried and I can choose to either run CC or the CS6 version of Photoshop (both are on my machine). Frankly, I'm in the middle of a project and haven't wanted to mess with new programs, so haven't done much with CC yet. I have found the downloader a bit buggy (can't get Bridge CC loaded) but haven't taken a lot of time/effort to try to figure it out yet.

My strategy is to try CC for a year, learn some new programs and then, if Adobe jacks up the price, I can always fall back on CS6 or whatever alternatives might be available by this time next year.

CS6 opens Photoshop files that have been edited in CC, so for those worried about losing access to files, that doesn't seem to be a problem (I always leave "maximize compatibility" checked when I save a file).

Most annoying thing so far has been the problem downloading Bridge and having to reload my plug ins. Advice to others: be sure you install the plug ins into the right directory. It appears CC automatically loads both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions and does a crappy job of identifying which is which. My Nik plug in wasn't showing up and then I figured out that it had installed in the 32 bit version, instead of the 64 bit version.

I am as unhappy about this whole scheme as anybody else, but when I did the math I decided it was worth the $240 (plus tax by the way) for a year to try it out. Mainly because I am curious about some of the programs that aren't available in CS6.

Sidenote: I can't find this offer on the Adobe site here in the U.S. either. Really annoys me when companies don't have it together enough to update their own sites immediately when they make an announcement. No press release...no listing of this under their "offers" as of now.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2013, 05:45:08 PM »

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2013, 06:09:32 PM »

The reason I asked is that I think that $10 /mo is not a bad price to pay for a PSCSx license as an individual but $20 is a bit excessive.  LR has gotten so good that I just don't go to PS that much anymore and LR offers a perpetual license (so far anyway).

It sounds like it goes forever so long as you never skip a month's payment and sign up before 2014, but it reallllly does pay to verify and verify again and then once more when it comes to Adobe. I also wonder if they would pull the perpetual license for CS3-CS6 that people had who went for this, or not.

docfuz

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2013, 06:17:42 PM »

While I don't like this CC scheme from Adobe, it should be noted that in most EULAs you do NOT own the software. You just have the right to use it. The point is that CC is not making us rent anything, it just makes us upgrade to everything even if we didn't want to.

With italian license fees, if I wanted to upgrade from CS3 to CS6 and from L4 to L5, I'd pay around 500-600 EUR. That is around 5 years of this CC photography deal. Would I update to CS7 if it existed? Probably not. To L6? Probably yes, price-wise. So after the 6th year I would pay more with CC. But if I was and always-update-to-latest-version kind of guy, this deal would not be a rental. It would be a different model of owning the right to use that latest version of the software. And it could be cheaper.

What I don't get, if Adobe really is going nuts trying everybody to join into CC, is why this offer is limited to CS3+ owners only. Next year they could extend this to DSLR owners.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2013, 06:17:42 PM »