July 30, 2014, 12:40:57 PM

Author Topic: Hurraaah! More 1D X problems  (Read 1630 times)

Bolt

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
Hurraaah! More 1D X problems
« on: September 09, 2013, 09:22:54 PM »
Well, after selling my 7D and 5D Mark III to purchase a 1D X to act as my workhorse I have encountered a minor setback in my journey to become some sort of 'artist' or whatever photographers are these days.

I purchased my 1D-X and there was nothing wrong with it, as is to be expected. When the announcement was made that some 1D-X and 1D-C models suffered from a possible issue due to lack of lubricant [Or whatever it was] I was one of the first to have mine 'fixed' [First in Australia at least]. 

I have had my camera back for a while and only after I get my camera fixed is there now a nice progressive build up of specks in the top left corner of the viewfinder. Since getting my camera back I have been restricted to using only one lens [L Series] so no dirt of grime could have entered while I was changing lenses.

Any advice fellow 1D-X users? [Other than to get it cleaned/ checked up]. Also, anyone else have this happen to their 1D?
Current: Canon 1D X, EF 24-70L F4 IS + Accessories

canon rumors FORUM

Hurraaah! More 1D X problems
« on: September 09, 2013, 09:22:54 PM »

Click

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Hurraaah! More 1D X problems
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 09:32:19 PM »
No, not on mine. I'm so sorry for you Bolt.  :(

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 09:34:46 PM »
Bummer.  :(

If you see it in the VF, it's on the focus screen not the sensor (no effect on images).  Question is, dust or oil?  First step is to simply remove the lens, and with the camera held mount-down, use a rocket blower in the mirror box. Dust should just blow off the focus screen. If it's oil, send it in - the focus screen is easily scratched. Alternatively, a new focus screen is $40 in the US.  If you go that route and it keeps happening, it'll need to go in.

Hope mine doesn't do that.  I took it in (in person) last week for the lubrication advisory, had dust on the focus screen and sensor, got it back an hour later with both clean and the recall issue (hopefully) addressed.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 10:38:46 PM »
I'd be concerned that it is oil too, so try to blow it off.  Canon will likely have to replace the focus screen, and maybe the mirror box.  Get it checked right away, and they should be very accommodating.

ahab1372

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 12:32:03 AM »
with the various reports of specks after the service, I wonder if Canon employes former car mechanics for lubrication jobs, who thinks lubrication needs to work like
Small | Large
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 08:47:36 PM by ahab1372 »

Lichtgestalt

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 10:35:13 AM »
Well, after selling my 7D and 5D Mark III to purchase a 1D X to act as my workhorse I have encountered a minor setback in my journey to become some sort of 'artist' or whatever photographers are these days.

a better camera will not help much on that journey anyway... :)

all our 1D X are fine. thought they are studio cameras.
do not even need to be cleaned since we bought them.

we never had problems with dust etc. after service.
but hey every service has different employees.. ours here in germany seem to be very good.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 10:40:38 AM by Lichtgestalt »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 10:35:13 AM »