December 22, 2014, 10:11:22 PM

Author Topic: EF 135 L USM or EF 100 L Macro IS USM - which one is sharper?  (Read 7740 times)

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
Re: EF 135 L USM or EF 100 L Macro IS USM - which one is sharper?
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2013, 12:19:43 AM »
I was told that macro lenses are always sharper compared to non macro lenses but I was also told that the EF 135 L is called the "Lord of the Red Rings" because it is so incredible sharp, so which one of them is sharper, especially at maximum aperture?

Dear Joshua.
Here is the MTF. Charts from Canon Manufacture, and Most of our friends can Read/ Understand and Help us  by Explain to us too.
In my Limited Knowledge of MTF. chart reading, I understand that EF 100 L is sharper than EF 135 L, Which I have both of them---Yes, May be I am total wrong--Yes, We need our friend help us.
Good Luck
Surapon

PS, Sorry, I Type the Wrong letter ,  Not EFG, Should be EF 135 F/2 L in the Photo.

What those charts show is that the 100L has higher resolution in the center, but the 135L is better as you get to the edges. Both are good but in a different way, I have both and love both for different uses.

That's why a "which is sharper" answer really does not tell the whole story.  There are too many critical lens parameters to evaluate, and acutance is only one of them, and might not be the most important for many photographers.
You did not ask about distortion, viginetting, chromatic abberations, bokeh, coma, AF speed, magnification, MFD,  or any of the other factors that one might also need in their lens.

DXO will throw all those factors in a blender and come up with a number, which is usually misleading.  Some will talk of real world photography, which means they have special powers that no one else has to compare lenses.  They throw out terms  that are undefined and can't be measured like color, micro contrast, 3D look, and so on.

In short, you are on your own!!  Read all the reviews, and see which reviewer seems to value the same sort of lens characteristics that you do, and take his or her advice.

If you are into portraits, one set of values
Astronomy, another set
Wildlife, another set
Sports Photographers have their preferred attributes
Low light photography ...
Macro photography
Document and copy lenses
Vacation lenses
Wedding lenses

I'm sure there are others.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2013, 12:19:43 AM »

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
Re: EF 135 USM L or EF 100 Macro IS USM - which one is sharper?
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2013, 04:30:12 AM »
even better the Sigma 150,which is actually sharper than both the 100L and the 135mmL.
Very funny! Is this sharper (especially at full aperture as OP asked)?
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=674&Camera=453&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=0&LensComp=807&CameraComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0

Based on those charts, the Sigma is not as sharp... the 100L seems to beat out even the 135 F2 wide open. At F2.8 both are very close. Up to F4, the 100L is better but F5.6 and beyond, the 135mm is sharper especially at the corners..
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 07:20:54 AM by K-amps »
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2013, 05:14:44 AM »
even better the Sigma 150,which is actually sharper than both the 100L and the 135mmL.
Very funny! Is this sharper (especially at full aperture as OP asked)?
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=674&Camera=453&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=0&LensComp=807&CameraComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0

Based on those charts, the Sigma is not as sharp... the 100L seems to beat out even the 135 F2 wide open. At F2.8 both are very close.
Exactly my point!

MLfan3

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2013, 06:27:28 AM »
I think the slight difference in real-world sharpness is secondary to the difference in closest focusing distance.  Remember the 135mm doesn't let you get closer than 3 feet from your subject, which, IMO, really makes it a more specialized lens--portraits, some street photography, landscape panoramas...

I wouldn't sell either my ef 100mm 2.8 macro (non-L) or my 135 because they are so very different.  I always bring the macro on a nature hike, but I never use it for portraits.  I love the colors, contrast, and bokeh of the 135mm too much.

If you are doing events, remember you can't easily get good detail shots (without lots of cropping) with the 135.  In fact, for weddings, presentations, etc, the 135mm is often limited to set-up type shots, because you have a fixed focal length and have to remain at least 3 feet from your subjects.  With something like a 70-200mm, you have about the same MFD, but more options with focal length.

If you really love portraits, the 135mm may be Canon's very best value.  It is very sharp at f/2, and so sharp at f/2.8 and up that pores and little problems with makeup become a real issue in Photoshop.

right , you said sum it up very well and that's why I think he should pick it by feature set not by IQ.
but if you are extremely picky , then you will see the 135mm f2L is sharper aperture to aperture comparison, if you go SLRGEAR.COM, you will see clearly visualized graph that shows that resolution difference of the 2 lenses clearly.
I think pure macro lenses have a bit less resolving power in general use but with a bit better contrast level, I also think this general rule apply to all slr and mirrorless mount mid tele primes.

surapon

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • 80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2013, 09:23:53 AM »
I was told that macro lenses are always sharper compared to non macro lenses but I was also told that the EF 135 L is called the "Lord of the Red Rings" because it is so incredible sharp, so which one of them is sharper, especially at maximum aperture?

Dear Joshua.
Here is the MTF. Charts from Canon Manufacture, and Most of our friends can Read/ Understand and Help us  by Explain to us too.
In my Limited Knowledge of MTF. chart reading, I understand that EF 100 L is sharper than EF 135 L, Which I have both of them---Yes, May be I am total wrong--Yes, We need our friend help us.
Good Luck
Surapon

PS, Sorry, I Type the Wrong letter ,  Not EFG, Should be EF 135 F/2 L in the Photo.

What those charts show is that the 100L has higher resolution in the center, but the 135L is better as you get to the edges. Both are good but in a different way, I have both and love both for different uses.

That's why a "which is sharper" answer really does not tell the whole story.  There are too many critical lens parameters to evaluate, and acutance is only one of them, and might not be the most important for many photographers.
You did not ask about distortion, viginetting, chromatic abberations, bokeh, coma, AF speed, magnification, MFD,  or any of the other factors that one might also need in their lens.

DXO will throw all those factors in a blender and come up with a number, which is usually misleading.  Some will talk of real world photography, which means they have special powers that no one else has to compare lenses.  They throw out terms  that are undefined and can't be measured like color, micro contrast, 3D look, and so on.

In short, you are on your own!!  Read all the reviews, and see which reviewer seems to value the same sort of lens characteristics that you do, and take his or her advice.

If you are into portraits, one set of values
Astronomy, another set
Wildlife, another set
Sports Photographers have their preferred attributes
Low light photography ...
Macro photography
Document and copy lenses
Vacation lenses
Wedding lenses

I'm sure there are others.

+ 1,000 for me.
Thank you, Sir, Dear teacher Mr. Mt Spokane.
Thanks for explain to us " What those charts show is that the 100L has higher resolution in the center, but the 135L is better as you get to the edges. Both are good but in a different way "
I need to learn how to read the MTF. Chart, Yes, I will soon.
Have a great day, Sir.
Surapon

Holly

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2013, 02:14:02 PM »
100L is sharp, but 135L is incredibly sharp.
6D || T2I || 24-70 2.8L || 70-200 2.8L ||  35L || 85L || 135L ||100L macro ||  50 1.8 II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2013, 02:14:02 PM »