August 02, 2014, 04:52:16 AM

Author Topic: Macro Photography  (Read 6816 times)

RAKAMRAK

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: Macro Photography
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2013, 12:05:37 PM »
Mr. Surapon, nice photos. Since you have already offered, so could I please take you up on your offer of sharing your DIY Macro set up? Thank you. (To start I am happy to show off my own DIY macro set up, please see it in my Flickr page)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 12:08:03 PM by RAKAMRAK »
Need to learn a lot more.
My Flickr Page

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2013, 12:05:37 PM »

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2013, 12:43:22 PM »
Sometimes, I use my lowly G11 for macro (most of the time it's my 500D + 100mm USM non-L).  It isn't true 1:1 but I'm quite happy with it.  Not as good but usable.

sanjosedave

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2013, 02:44:43 PM »
I belong to some meetup.com photo groups in the SF Bay Area. Last month there was a meetup at the San Francisco Conservatory of Flowers. I used a Canon 6D, 100mm 2.8 L and a sturdy tripod.

If you like macro work, you may want to consider following Mike Moats on FB. He is a macro guy working out of the Detroit area. He uses consumer-level gear (Nikon/Tamron) to produce his images

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Chuck Alaimo Photography
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2013, 02:59:27 PM »
just got my first macro lens in friday.   I went with the 100mm 2.8 --- not the L one, found it used for $439.  For what I do and my style of photography, I just couldn't justify the L version (although, yeah, upon buying the used one I was fully prepared to return it if it didn't work out).  Primary use would be for weddings - for all the little details.  Which also means, working with not the best light most of the time.  Lighting macro shots is not easy, and I need to learn my way around that (with the lens so close to the subject, and using at least f10 I find myself relying on ISO to save the day).  I definitely feel the need to overshoot with it to make sure I get a crisp shot.  Maybe this will pass when I get more used to using it. 

Here's some samples
Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2013, 03:01:09 PM »
I have to admit that I have never done any true macro (at least 1:1) photography in my close to sixty years of practicing this hobby.  But I have been thinking I might have some fun with it.  Currently I own no prime lenses (loaned my 50mm 1.8 to grand-daughter, doubtful I will see it again).  I have an EFS 17-55 2.8 (which I love), a 70-200 2.8L II, a 100-400L, and several other lesser quality mid-range zooms (between the wife and I we have three bodies, 30D-hers, 40D and 7D-mine).  Due to a lengthy fall vacation (I'm retired, what am I vacationing from?) where we will visit four National Parks and one National Monument plus a day trip into Canada and a planned mission trip in November to a third world nation, my budget is a little strained. 

Finally to the question.  What do I need?  Would it be wiser to wait until I could afford something like the 100 2.8L Macro ( or other lens suggestion) or should I pop for a set of extension tubes such as the Canon extension tubes (or should I go for something cheaper in the tubes).

Thanks for any advice from those much wiser than I.

Dear Sarge.
I agree with one of our friend  about--First Try the Cheapest Thing , buy The Tube( $ 20 US Dollars) , and try first---And see do you like Macro Photography or not, If Yes, Save your Money and Buy the Used  EF 100mm. Macro First.
Yes, I am the  super/ crazy Geek of my Hobby Photography, When I see a great Macro Picture, past 8 years, I just go to buy Canon EF 100 mm., EF 100 mm L  IS, Ef 180 MM L Macro and MP-E 65 mm. F 2.8 1-5X Macro----Yes, I get a great Macro Photos from Them, The Great Lenses----But, All of my Lenses/ Macro are sit in the Dried Box, and I just use them 1-2 times per months---Such Weste of the Money.
Yes, Just try the  equipment as Less money first, And Learn that You like the Macro Photography or not.
Good Luck.
Surapon

Are you using a star point filter on the jewelry shots?  If yes, I may have to snag one...
Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

surapon

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • 80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2013, 03:13:27 PM »
Mr. Surapon, nice photos. Since you have already offered, so could I please take you up on your offer of sharing your DIY Macro set up? Thank you. (To start I am happy to show off my own DIY macro set up, please see it in my Flickr page)

Dear Sir, Mr. Click, Mr. RAKAMRAK and all of my friends.
Yes, As American Architect as my real Profession, And I love to invent and design some things cheap and very usable for both of my Profession and my Love Hobby- Photography. Here are my DIY for Canon Super Macro MP-E 65 mm , F/ 2.8 1-5X, Which super shallow DOF at F = 11 = with in 1/16  inch( or 10 mm.) of subject = Blur---That why I must design and build this Plat form as Operate the Microscope with maximum light on the tiny spot of the model----Yes, These Photos will explain to you , better than I try to talk to you.
Enjoy , Sir/ Madam.
Surapon

surapon

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2013, 03:14:56 PM »
 Here are my DIY for Canon Super Macro MP-E 65 mm , F/ 2.8 1-5

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2013, 03:14:56 PM »

surapon

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2013, 03:16:19 PM »

surapon

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2013, 03:17:35 PM »

Enjoy, Sir.
Surapon

Click

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2013, 03:24:17 PM »
Very nice set-up Surapon.

Thank you very much, my friend.  :)

surapon

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2013, 03:26:47 PM »
I have to admit that I have never done any true macro (at least 1:1) photography in my close to sixty years of practicing this hobby.  But I have been thinking I might have some fun with it.  Currently I own no prime lenses (loaned my 50mm 1.8 to grand-daughter, doubtful I will see it again).  I have an EFS 17-55 2.8 (which I love), a 70-200 2.8L II, a 100-400L, and several other lesser quality mid-range zooms (between the wife and I we have three bodies, 30D-hers, 40D and 7D-mine).  Due to a lengthy fall vacation (I'm retired, what am I vacationing from?) where we will visit four National Parks and one National Monument plus a day trip into Canada and a planned mission trip in November to a third world nation, my budget is a little strained. 

Finally to the question.  What do I need?  Would it be wiser to wait until I could afford something like the 100 2.8L Macro ( or other lens suggestion) or should I pop for a set of extension tubes such as the Canon extension tubes (or should I go for something cheaper in the tubes).

Dear Sarge.
I agree with one of our friend  about--First Try the Cheapest Thing , buy The Tube( $ 20 US Dollars) , and try first---And see do you like Macro Photography or not, If Yes, Save your Money and Buy the Used  EF 100mm. Macro First.
Yes, I am the  super/ crazy Geek of my Hobby Photography, When I see a great Macro Picture, past 8 years, I just go to buy Canon EF 100 mm., EF 100 mm L  IS, Ef 180 MM L Macro and MP-E 65 mm. F 2.8 1-5X Macro----Yes, I get a great Macro Photos from Them, The Great Lenses----But, All of my Lenses/ Macro are sit in the Dried Box, and I just use them 1-2 times per months---Such Weste of the Money.
Yes, Just try the  equipment as Less money first, And Learn that You like the Macro Photography or not.
Good Luck.
Surapon

Are you using a star point filter on the jewelry shots?  If yes, I may have to snag one...

Dear Chuck.
No, I do not try to use Star filter on my  Macro Photos yet, But I set The camera at F = 16 for get some star effect from the reflection, Plus I use Photoshop 5.5 to Paint 4 Point star on the Original point of the Real Star.
Yes, Sir, Might be a great Idea to use the star filters for Macro, I have 6 Point stars filter, 9 Point Star filter and Just Order the Tiffen 82 mm. North Star filter for my TS-E 24 mm.  F 3.5 L MK II + the Filter Reducers too.
Yes, I will try and report back to you.
Nice to talk to you.
Surapon

surapon

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2013, 03:37:40 PM »
just got my first macro lens in friday.   I went with the 100mm 2.8 --- not the L one, found it used for $439.  For what I do and my style of photography, I just couldn't justify the L version (although, yeah, upon buying the used one I was fully prepared to return it if it didn't work out).  Primary use would be for weddings - for all the little details.  Which also means, working with not the best light most of the time.  Lighting macro shots is not easy, and I need to learn my way around that (with the lens so close to the subject, and using at least f10 I find myself relying on ISO to save the day).  I definitely feel the need to overshoot with it to make sure I get a crisp shot.  Maybe this will pass when I get more used to using it. 

Here's some samples

Wow, Wow, Wow------- Just the first time that you use  this 100 mm Macro Lens and you get this top level/ Masterpieces  of Photographs-----Yes, Sir. Not the Equipment or the Lens, But The Artistic ability, and The Person " Know How" like you to get these photos at the first time.  Yes, Past 5 years, I have learn the great Trick of Light/ Natural Light and Artificial Light and " How To "  from  the great Master of Macro Photographer in Philippine Name Mr. Kurt---Yes, I will share with you, If you want.
Nice to talk to you, Sir.
Surapon

PS---Yes, Sir, In my Idea, Canon EF 100 mm Macro Lens can use as one of the Best Portrait Photos too, Special Wlde open of F. Stop = Great for Wedding Photography too= Great Blur back ground ( group of people)from the Bride and Groom, and let them to be the Movie stars.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 04:10:57 PM by surapon »

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2013, 09:34:10 PM »

Dear Sarge.
Good Luck.
Surapon

Dear Chuck.
No, I do not try to use Star filter on my  Macro Photos yet, But I set The camera at F = 16 for get some star effect from the reflection, Plus I use Photoshop 5.5 to Paint 4 Point star on the Original point of the Real Star.
Yes, Sir, Might be a great Idea to use the star filters for Macro, I have 6 Point stars filter, 9 Point Star filter and Just Order the Tiffen 82 mm. North Star filter for my TS-E 24 mm.  F 3.5 L MK II + the Filter Reducers too.
Yes, I will try and report back to you.
Nice to talk to you.
Surapon

TY for sure man, I think that may add that extra bit of wow to ring and jewelry shots...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2013, 09:34:10 PM »

RAKAMRAK

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2013, 02:45:36 AM »
Mr. Surapon, thank you so much for taking the time and effort to share your set up. Happy photographing.
Need to learn a lot more.
My Flickr Page

Old Sarge

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2013, 07:18:08 AM »
I want to thank each of you for your advice.  I know it came with a lot of thought.  My wife and I are on one of our annual trips and I probably won't take any action until after Christmas (could ask Santa for a new lens but I know he'd just debit my bank account). 

Surapon, I enjoyed seeing your setup and some of your pictures.  It shows your inventiveness and your concern for creatures showed your gentle soul.

Someone said they use a G11 which made me realize I need to look into the closeup capabilities of my G12.  Might be a good start in closeup work.

Thanks again, everyone.

The Old Sarge

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2013, 07:18:08 AM »