July 29, 2014, 09:25:41 PM

Author Topic: What does Blue Dot on a box means?  (Read 6493 times)

DesignJinni

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • FB Page
What does Blue Dot on a box means?
« on: September 13, 2013, 05:13:58 PM »
Hi,

I just got a new Canon 70-200 II and the box has a blue dot sticker on it in the top corner. Can any one please clarify what what does that blue dot really means?

:-\
Canon 5D Mark II • 8-15mm F4 L • 24-105L • 70-200mm 2.8L IS II L • 50mm 1.4 • Sigma 12-24mm  • 600EX-RT • Kenko Tubes •

canon rumors FORUM

What does Blue Dot on a box means?
« on: September 13, 2013, 05:13:58 PM »

Jim Saunders

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Re: What does Blue Dot on a box means?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 06:34:51 PM »
Where did you buy it?  If it came direct from Canon with it then it might mean something, but if it went through a retailer then they may have added it for some reason.

Jim
I'd probably do better to invest more time and less money.

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 06:44:41 PM »
Odds are that they were doing inventory and the blue sticker means that it was counted....
The best camera is the one in your hands

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 09:05:23 PM »
Some dealers put colored stickers on items to control inventory and to make sure older inventory is sold first.  I'd ask your dealer first.

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 09:16:04 PM »
It means the lens is compatible with Sylvania Blue Dot flash bulbs!!
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

DesignJinni

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • FB Page
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2013, 02:15:05 AM »
I have Googled and a lot of mix replies came up for the blue dot sticker. Apparently it is being put by canon themselves. I thought someone would have a definite answer to this? Many people got it direct, some from B&H, where as I got it from a local dealer. Every thing is in the box and looks and smells brand new but why the blue dot on the lens box? What does it really mean?

Can any one suggest what test should i run to test my lens completely?
Canon 5D Mark II • 8-15mm F4 L • 24-105L • 70-200mm 2.8L IS II L • 50mm 1.4 • Sigma 12-24mm  • 600EX-RT • Kenko Tubes •

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2013, 06:02:52 AM »
I have Googled and a lot of mix replies came up for the blue dot sticker. Apparently it is being put by canon themselves. I thought someone would have a definite answer to this? Many people got it direct, some from B&H, where as I got it from a local dealer. Every thing is in the box and looks and smells brand new but why the blue dot on the lens box? What does it really mean?

Can any one suggest what test should i run to test my lens completely?

If Canon is putting it on, why not call and ask them?

http://www.canonrumors.com/tech-articles/how-to-test-a-lens/
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2013, 06:02:52 AM »

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2013, 11:57:07 AM »
Again, it was a defective lens that after it left the factory had an issue and returned for repair. It could have been a very minor thing or major. If it were a camera it could have been a firmware change, but not as likely with a lens.
Most companies would sell these as factory seconds, Canon chooses to sell them as new. If this bothers you and you bought it from someone like B&H the will exchange it with no fuss. There is a chance that some idiot retailer is marking new clean boxes. Rotating inventory to keep it fresh. I guess they think lenses are like milk and will spoil.

Let me modify this a bit, it could have been a missing or broken item like a bag or cap, it may have not been the lens at all.

Whilst I agree with your opinion, the wording seems ambiguous, Canon do not resell items that have been returned from retail customers as new, if it were Canon USA would be open to all kinds of legal issues.

If it is a Canon affixed blue dot I believe, and this is certainly true of Canon products in the past, that there was a factory recall of all inventory between certain serial numbers that had been sent to importers and retailers, so the items are still considered new, unsold and unused. To keep track of which stock have had checks or adjustments made a blue dot is affixed, after blue dots if there is a second reason to recall then they have affixed yellow dots. I further believe that the reasons are often because quality control throws up question marks on component batches.

But this is not definitive and could also be used as internal stock checking or any number of other reasons for easy visual checking. I have personally seen, blue, yellow, green and red dots on new Canon boxes, both bodies and lenses.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

Pi

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Math and Photography
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2013, 12:13:06 PM »
Most companies would sell these as factory seconds, Canon chooses to sell them as new. If this bothers you and you bought it from someone like B&H the will exchange it with no fuss.

I have not seen any evidence of that but I read posts by Henry at B&H where he acknowledges that B&H sells returned items as new. He spins it very nicely - B&H reserves its right to decide whether a returned item looks new enough to be declared by them as being new.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 12:29:10 PM by Pi »

Rienzphotoz

• Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2013, 01:25:02 PM »
 ??? ... How much pain could a blue dot, on a box, cause?
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

Normalnorm

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2013, 01:28:42 PM »
Its a vegan lens. Slightly more money but worth it.  ;)

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2013, 07:54:53 PM »
evening blue light special??

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2013, 07:57:51 PM »
Most companies would sell these as factory seconds, Canon chooses to sell them as new. If this bothers you and you bought it from someone like B&H the will exchange it with no fuss.

I have not seen any evidence of that but I read posts by Henry at B&H where he acknowledges that B&H sells returned items as new. He spins it very nicely - B&H reserves its right to decide whether a returned item looks new enough to be declared by them as being new.

not surprised.  If I open it to look at it at home, is that any different from opening it in the store? 

Not sure how this works with Canon - if it is returned to the store and the store deems it "used", what do they do with it?  Return it to Canon, does Canon the store a full refund?

I think any returns to Dell were sold as refurbs (after reinstalling the OS on the hard drive).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2013, 07:57:51 PM »

Coolhandchuck

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2013, 08:50:15 PM »
It means you might have bought a car CD player. Blaupunkt  :)
Canon 6D, Canon 50 1.8, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC

DesignJinni

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • FB Page
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2013, 05:32:44 AM »
When a person pays 2K$+ for a lens its does become a concern if the lens is 100% brand new not a returned / repaired and labeled as new one. At some places online it was said the blue dot is put to mark the new stock compared to the old one based on the serial numbers. But as said there is not clear cut answer to this question so far.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2013, 05:32:44 AM »