September 18, 2014, 02:17:09 PM

Author Topic: Nikon unveils V1 and J1 Mirrorless Cameras  (Read 15535 times)

Flake

Re: Nikon unveils V1 and J1 Mirrorless Cameras
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2011, 12:56:21 PM »

Many people don't realize this.  A great example is people who state they won't upgrade to FF until the 24-70mm has IS, because they want a FF equivalent of the very nice EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS.  What they don't realize is that such an equivalent exists...and is actually better spec'd - the actual FF equivalent of the 17-55mm is a 27-88mm f/4.5, so the 24-105mm is wider, longer, faster, and still has IS plus on the 5DII it will out resolve any APS-C sensor.

As a FF user I want a FF version of the 17 - 55mm.  No equivalent stuff just that focal length as is!  Maybe to replace the 17 - 40mm L but I'd even forgo the 55mm for a new fast wide angle with IS.   
Just to put it the other way around 17 - 55mm is 10 - 35mm on crop, I wonder how many crop users would be interested in that focal length.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2011, 12:56:21 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2011, 02:08:37 PM »
As a FF user I want a FF version of the 17 - 55mm.  No equivalent stuff just that focal length as is!  Maybe to replace the 17 - 40mm L but I'd even forgo the 55mm for a new fast wide angle with IS.   
Just to put it the other way around 17 - 55mm is 10 - 35mm on crop, I wonder how many crop users would be interested in that focal length.

We may see one, I'd guess it will stop well short of 55mm.  Nikon added VR to their 16-35mm UWA zoom, although it's f/4.  I believe that IS could be added to the current 16-35mm without a substantial increase in size.  But a 17-55mm f/2.8 with an EF image circle would be closer to the current 24-70mm in size and weight. 

Would crop users would be interested in a 10-35mm lens?  Sure...if it was optically as good as the current 10-22mm and didn't cost much more. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

traveller

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2011, 02:44:13 PM »
Choosing the sensor size is a difficult decision for any camera manufacturer contemplating a compact system camera.  There is always the tradeoff between a larger sensor with slower lenses and a smaller sensor needing faster lenses; somewhere must lie an optimal sensor size, the question is where? I don't think that anyone really has an answer to this yet.  Perhaps there is no single answer, just as in film days there were multiple formats for different needs. 

When this whole 2.7x crop factor was first suggested in the rumorverse it was widely panned, but my first thought was that with some clever lens design it could deliver some small fast zooms that would appeal to a wider audience than pancake primes on larger sensors.  The problem with the route that Nikon has chosen is that the cameras and lenses don't seem to be much smaller than m4/3rds and the lenses are no faster...

I think that there are really two different markets here for CSCs, the 'better-than-a-compact' mass market (or should this now be 'better than an iPhone?) and the 'smaller than a DSLR so I can carry it when I don't want my full kit' enthusiast market.  None of the current entrants (which is now almost everyone but Canon) really seem to know which market they're serving, so they're just throwing cameras into the market to see what sells.  Panasonic m4/3rds bodies have been getting smaller and shedding enthusiast features, whilst Olympus and Sony are splitting the market into ever smaller segments. 

All the camera manufacturers are facing the question of what will happen when the future generations of camera phones destroy the bottom segment of the camera market.  The '1' system is Nikon's answer, but I'm not sure if they wouldn't have been better off with an APS-C size CSC and cover the lower end of the market with a decent fixed zoom lens camera like the Fuji X10.  I think that Nikon's system will gain a following, but I don't thinks it's the killer move that will see them dominate this market like they do with DSLRs (along with Canon of course). 

None of this really bodes well for Canon, I think that both of the 'big two' have perhaps left it too late to make a significant impact with CSCs; they'd best hope that all this turns out to be a sideline, like the original Olympus Pen.  What can Canon now do? If they'd launched an APS-C CSC with some good lenses at the end of last year/beginning of this year, they may have had more room to stand out.  As it is, the NEX7 looks like it will carve out the top end of this market (if Sony get their lens development into gear!), even if Canon launch next year it will look a bit 'me too' and will be two years behind even Sony in lens releases.  I don't think that Canon would be welcome in the m4/3rds alliance; maybe they should join forces with Nikon in a 2.7x crop alliance!

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2011, 02:56:10 PM »
even if Canon launch next year it will look a bit 'me too'

That's why Canon will make a game-changing entry into the field.  It's a common theme in innovative companies.  Apple developed the iPad long before the iPhone was released in 2007, and Apple sat on it until other necessary developments and technological adjacencies paved the way (they were waiting on large LCD displays with lower power consumption and better battery technology, as the iPad prototypes had abysmally short battery life).

So, Canon is probably sitting on a full frame mirrorless camera...they're just waiting for the laws of physics to change so they can launch pancake lenses with a 43.2mm image circle. 

:P
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Gothmoth

« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2011, 03:17:14 PM »
honest i think all this "too late" talk is nonsense.

it dosn´t matter that much.
the product matters.

traveller

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2011, 03:47:46 PM »
honest i think all this "too late" talk is nonsense.

it dosn´t matter that much.
the product matters.

Maybe your right, Canon hasn't got to its current market leading position by being first, but by making the right choices at the right time.  My feeling remains that the technologies for making CSCs a success are beginning to coverge; Sony has their new EVF, Nikon has some form of phase detect AF on sensor, Panasonic and Olympus are starting to get into their stride with capable yet compact lenses.  At the moment, no one has everything so perhaps it is Canon that can get the right mix, as they did with EOS.   

One thing that they can't afford to do is leave it too long, like Olympus did with AF, there are a lot of the 'enthusiat-wanting-smaller-second-system' crowd that have already given up waiting for Canikon and invested in either m4/3rds or NEX/NX.  Once they have a lens collection, it will be a difficult sell to get them to switch.  I'm pretty sure that when (and it's now almost certainly when and not if) Canon launch a CSC, they will go for it full throttle.  The only thing that worries me is where this will leave the current EOS system (especially APS-C) because there are still many lenses missing or in need of updates. 

dougkerr

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • The Pumpkin
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2011, 04:13:37 PM »
Hi, Peter,

About the only thing I saw of interest was the phase detect autofocus. I'd previously thought that was only possible with a mirror system but see in the Wikipedia article on autofocus it can be incorporated into the sensor.
There has been much patent activity by Canon over the last some while on doing that.

Best regards,

Doug

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2011, 04:13:37 PM »

Mike Ca

« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2011, 04:54:29 PM »
I am probably not the target customer base for this camera, but many enthusiast have a second P&S camera that they carry in their pocket for everyday use. These are things like the G12 or S95/S100.  Both of those cameras have 7.5x5.5mm sensors. This allows them to have very compact fixed zoom lenses with good reach on both ends.

The Pentax-Q has a even smaller sensor at 6.2x4.5 mm, but the with the 27-83mm equivalent zoom lens, it certainly is not a pocket camera. Even with the pancake prime I don't think it would fit in your pocket. It is however very small and light, so it may appeal to someone that wants a step up from a P&S.

Now the N1/J1 has a 13.2x8.8 mm sensor, considerable larger than the Canon G12 or S100 and the Pentax-Q, but smaller than the mic4/3 cameras.

I guess these cameras and the bigger mic4/3 and APS-C size mirrorless cameras are not designed to appeal to me, cause I just don't see why anyone would buy one. Are they really going to be able to deliver anything better than the high end P&S like the G12 or S100? When you put a lens on them, they sure are a lot bigger and more expensive.

AJ

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2011, 06:53:09 PM »
The lower end of the market could probably not care less about interchangeable lenses - they are perfectly happy with a compact. 

The higher end of the market insists on image quality - these users already have DSLRs and need a pocketable camera.
I agree with you.  I just don't see the market here.  And here we have a brand-new sensor and brand-new line of lenses.  Chances are, if this thing doesn't sell like hotcakes (probably won't) then prices won't come down in a hurry.  Olympus PEN hasn't exactly taken the market by storm.

I think if you look at it as a point-n-shoot with higher image quality than its 1/1.7" brethren plus the ability to change lenses, well then it's kinda interesting.  The price kills it though.

If you look at it as a mirrorless DSLR system with a miniature sensor and the same price as a proper APSC cam, then forget it.

what an epic fail....  i only hope canon will do it right.

Epic fail... I say probably, likely.

I sure hope canon gets a mirrorless system going with its APSC chips and an EF-S lens mount.  Why manufacture a whole new line, no upgrade path?  I just don't get it.  Why not use components already being manufactured?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 06:56:06 PM by AJ »

gmrza

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2011, 07:57:32 PM »
The lower end of the market could probably not care less about interchangeable lenses - they are perfectly happy with a compact. 

The higher end of the market insists on image quality - these users already have DSLRs and need a pocketable camera.
I agree with you.  I just don't see the market here.  And here we have a brand-new sensor and brand-new line of lenses.  Chances are, if this thing doesn't sell like hotcakes (probably won't) then prices won't come down in a hurry.  Olympus PEN hasn't exactly taken the market by storm.

I think if you look at it as a point-n-shoot with higher image quality than its 1/1.7" brethren plus the ability to change lenses, well then it's kinda interesting.  The price kills it though.

If you look at it as a mirrorless DSLR system with a miniature sensor and the same price as a proper APSC cam, then forget it.

what an epic fail....  i only hope canon will do it right.

Epic fail... I say probably, likely.

I sure hope canon gets a mirrorless system going with its APSC chips and an EF-S lens mount.  Why manufacture a whole new line, no upgrade path?  I just don't get it.  Why not use components already being manufactured?

The challenge is that these products are playing in the market segment between the G12 and the 1100D.  What is likely to happen is that you land up with a product which is rather like a motorbike with a sidecar - it inherits the disadvantages of a motorbike combined with the disadvantages of a car, and only satisfies a small market segment.  (Let's not try to pick apart my analogy - it is not perfect.)

This is a segment where I believe there is first mover disadvantage.  (OK Nikon are not the first mover.)

Hopefully Canon will take a serious look at what the strengths of the G12 and the 1100D are, and come up with a product that carries the strengths of both of them, and which fits into the price bracket.  That will be a tall order.  This kind of product is trying to satisfy the high end of the compact market and the low end of the DSLR market - i.e. the most demanding users in the compact segment and the least demanding users in the DSLR segment.  That is a marketing nightmare.

What does seem to be a promising development is the availability of phase detect autofocus in a mirrorless camera.  That development may open the way to some more useful products.
Zeiss Ikon Contax II, Sonnar 50mm f/2, Sonnar 135mm f/4

gmrza

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2011, 09:03:58 PM »
even if Canon launch next year it will look a bit 'me too'

That's why Canon will make a game-changing entry into the field.  It's a common theme in innovative companies.  Apple developed the iPad long before the iPhone was released in 2007, and Apple sat on it until other necessary developments and technological adjacencies paved the way (they were waiting on large LCD displays with lower power consumption and better battery technology, as the iPad prototypes had abysmally short battery life).

So, Canon is probably sitting on a full frame mirrorless camera...they're just waiting for the laws of physics to change so they can launch pancake lenses with a 43.2mm image circle. 

:P
I could like with an APS-C camera - for my needs I would not even demand full frame.

Leica have shown us how small a lens for a full frame camera can be - if it doesn't have to work with the massive flange to focal plane distance which is necessitated by a mirror box.  My understanding is that with moving the flange closer to the focal plane, you would be able to avoid having to use a retrofocus design in lenses, thus simplifying the optics, and making lenses smaller and lighter.  By using power zooms, you can eliminate the zoom ring and focus ring, further reducing the size of a lens.
Think about the size of Leica primes, or the old Zeiss Ikon lenses - the Sonnar f/2 is a small lens - yes it has its weaknesses, but that kind of lens is proof of how compact a lens can be.
A further interesting twist to make the whole package smaller would be a recessed lens mount, which would allow part of the lens to sit "inside" the body - in the way that the lenses of compact cameras do. - Now I am really speculating though!
Zeiss Ikon Contax II, Sonnar 50mm f/2, Sonnar 135mm f/4

UncleFester

bycostello

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • London Weddings
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2011, 03:37:41 AM »
real pretty looking too...  sensor size puts me off though

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2011, 03:37:41 AM »

koolman

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Pictures Of Jerusalem
« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2011, 04:19:29 AM »
Nikon made a smart business move, to develop a small sensor body, with fast focus and speed. As sensor technology improves - the physical size of the sensor is less meaningful, allowing nikon to provide smaller better quality lenses, and keep costs down. I believe most consumers are not seeking interchangeable lens systems, and do not want to lug around a MFT body and lens. Nikon gives us a smallish body, with super fast performance.

I think this is a very smart business move.

problem is it is not small compared to m43....

m43 has the bigger sensor by similiar sized body+lens combos.
plus m43 has faster lenses.

so there is no reason to buy this nikon system...
beside the 60 FPS that will sure be seen in other (cheaper) P&S cameras soon.

Gothmoth: I agree with you that the size of say the GF3 and this new nikon are very close. However the size of the lenses, and the ability to create smaller lenses to match the sensor size - is the main advantage of keeping things small on the sensor side.
Jerusalem Photographer (canon t2i, 50 1.4, Tamron 17-50 non VC, canon 60mm, canon 35mm L,Samyang 14mm MF,Voigtlander 20mm MF)

Mark D5 TEAM II

• 1D X
  • Proud N0ink 0wnz0r / crApple iFruitcake H4t3r
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2011, 05:15:07 AM »
Funny that DPR had to write a whole praise release article and basically act as Nikon's corporate mouthpiece just to defend this DOA Japanese faddist Rainbow Brite toy. ;D

Body and lenses too big, sensor too small, price too high, fruitcakey design and colors == TEH FEYL.
Nikon NSF16 5-Leaf Dual-Blade Industrial Fan ¦ Nikon NTMFI-H1 Dry Heavy Flat Iron ¦ Nikon Tough Mama NTMRC1-2S Rice Cooker “Limited Edition” ¦ Nikon Tough Mama NTMJK18-S Stainless Electric Kettle Plate Type ¦ Nikon NHT 2-in-1 Curling Iron & Straightener in One ¦ Nikon N4004s Decision Master System™

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2011, 05:15:07 AM »