September 18, 2014, 10:14:15 PM

Author Topic: rain protection  (Read 4232 times)

Jackson_Bill

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: rain protection
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2013, 09:32:20 AM »
My recommendation is don't skimp out on rain gear.  When you are out in the elements with thousands of dollars worth of equipment a couple hundred dollars for good quality rain gear is well worth the investment.

Not only will top quality rain gear protect your gear from rain and condensation, it will also fit better and give you better access to controls.

I recommend Lenscoat rain coats but there are several great manufacturers out there.

I agree in general but I'm curious about other's experience. I've found that in some conditions nothing helps and you have to depend on the sealing of the camera and lens (and then get out of the weather and dry out). In my case, it was snowing heavily and temperature was right around freezing.  I ended up with condensation on everything and had to dry things off and warm them up a bit.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2013, 09:32:20 AM »

Rat

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2013, 12:32:46 PM »
My recommendation is don't skimp out on rain gear.  When you are out in the elements with thousands of dollars worth of equipment a couple hundred dollars for good quality rain gear is well worth the investment.

(...)
I agree in general  (...)
While I really dig quality, I have, in general, to disagree here. I recommend a two-step strategy: first, buy a cheap solution, once that isn't sufficient, upgrade to professional grade equipment. I have a lot of cheap S___ that I never needed or even wanted to need more than once :P If OP goes out into a downpour on a daily basis, sure, he should invest a few hundred bob on something that fits his workflow. But I haven't heard him about requirements that warrant more than a plastic bag with a few strategically placed holes. Spending lots of money on stuff you don't use, just because you have a pricey camera, is not very bright, in my book.

I live in a country where it rains eight months out of twelve and I don't need anything more expensive than an Op/tech bag... just saying YMMV.

5DIII, 17-40, 24-105, 70-200/4IS, 50/1.8II, 85/1.8 and a truckload of gimmicks and bits.

Halfrack

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2013, 01:08:57 PM »
How much rain?  The cheap bags work great, I use the OpTech extensively (yea, Seattle!).  But there is a time and place that you're better with a D10/D20 or simmilar.  OP should say what they're trying to protect, it'll help us suggest things.

I still want a http://www.rei.com/product/832601/aquapac-slr-camera-case for those days when it's raining sideways or snowing like a mad man...
"Me owning a lens shop is kind of like having an alcoholic bar tender." - Roger Cicala

jollybdap

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2013, 01:49:46 PM »
Thank you for your recommendations. I will check them out. I have 5D2 but not too sure how good the seal is.

For those of you who use backpacks, do you wear jackets and have the packpack outside or use poncho which can hold the pack inside? My backpack does come with rain covers. But not sure which way is the better to go.
I use the cover that came with my LowePro ProTracker 600 and wear it on the outside. A poncho wouldn't be big enough and I don't need to take everything off when I need to get into my pack.

I know this is what raincover intended for but I am just a little scared to do that especially when it rains hard. thank you for sharing your experience.

Swphoto

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2013, 02:50:54 PM »
I keep these http://amzn.com/B000PTFDYO and these http://amzn.com/B002TI71HQ in my bag.

They're cheap and have kept the gear dry over several hours of use. Only minor issue is that the end with the string tends to move around on the lens hood, but I just keep an eye on it and adjust as needed - could be solved with tape or velcro.

JPAZ

• 6D
  • If only I knew what I was doing.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2013, 03:57:05 PM »
On a recent trip to Denali, I did my usual which included using an "all weather" pack from Low-pro and my trusty umbrella.  I have thought about the various products others have mentioned, here.

Then, one of the folks in our group brought out a brilliant self-made item she used.  She had a "dry-sack" like you'd pack gear in for a canoe trip.  Then, she cut out a small hole and created a draw string around that.  Pulling the draw string tight around her lens hood, she could  put her arms through the normally open end of the sack and use the camera.  The only limitation was needing to push the sack up a bit to sneak her eye through to the viewfinder.  Worked a lot like a Think Tank (a company I love) Hydrophobia at a lot less of a price.
5d Mkiii; Eos-M; too many lenses; 430 EXii and a whole lot of stuff

Standard

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2013, 06:41:37 PM »
I shoot in the rain every chance I get. I know the Hydrophobia is quite expensive. But my suggestion is if you love shooting in inclement weather, whether that's snow, rain, sleet, or under a waterfall, buy it. You won't regret it. I have used it on many occasions already and my gear remains dry through and through. My only wish is that they would make a version for smaller primes.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2013, 06:41:37 PM »

Roo

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2013, 07:43:35 AM »
+1 for the OpTech rain sleeves.  Cheap but do the job.  I've bought a couple at the beginning of last year and have used them on a few occasions since including the big downpours during this year's Australian Grand Prix. 
5Diii, 60D, Canon 24-105L, Canon 70-200 2.8L is II, Samyang 14 2.8, Tamron 17-50 2.8 vcd, Tamron 90 macro, Tamron 150-600

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2013, 07:43:35 AM »