April 19, 2014, 01:53:02 AM

Author Topic: Camera Sling  (Read 4637 times)

pedant

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
Re: Camera Sling
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2013, 12:51:43 PM »
I cannot recommend BlackRapid straps because they scratch the paint off of your camera IME.
see http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=18131.0
for my experience with it and my comparison of BR/CarrySpeed.

I currently use and love CarrySpeed FS-Pro.
If I could choose again, I might get the FS-Slim -- same exact thing except the main neoprene strap is not as wide.  It would be slightly easier to cram into a small bag.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2013, 12:51:43 PM »

ikirumata

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2013, 10:18:35 AM »
Since posting, I decided to try getting the FastenR-T1 over my previous plate adapter setup and after using it for a while, I have decided that I like my older setup better than the FastenR-T1. I find myself taking the camera on and off the strap quite often, whether to mount it to a monopod/tripod or to give it to someone to take my picture or to take it off when I sit down (and I dont want it in my lap...say to drive). Taking the camera off the plate adapter is much easier than negotiating the clip and loop (because the loop never stays still, it is difficult to keep the clip open while stabilizing the loop...while holding the camera).  Someone mentioned the FastenR-T1 as the more elegant option...In my experience, I respectfully disagree (maybe that person was stating that it looks more elegant, which I can see, but in practice, not so much).

As far as paint rubbing off, I don't have that problem, but I think the reason why is that I always have a tripod plate attached and the moving parts of the BR strap never touch my camera.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2013, 10:39:11 AM »
Since posting, I decided to try getting the FastenR-T1 over my previous plate adapter setup and after using it for a while, I have decided that I like my older setup better than the FastenR-T1. I find myself taking the camera on and off the strap quite often, whether to mount it to a monopod/tripod or to give it to someone to take my picture or to take it off when I sit down (and I dont want it in my lap...say to drive). Taking the camera off the plate adapter is much easier than negotiating the clip and loop (because the loop never stays still, it is difficult to keep the clip open while stabilizing the loop...while holding the camera).  Someone mentioned the FastenR-T1 as the more elegant option...In my experience, I respectfully disagree (maybe that person was stating that it looks more elegant, which I can see, but in practice, not so much).

Your original post implies that you were attaching the BR carabiner directly to the D-ring on the RC2 plate.  If so, that's a really bad idea, as that ring isn't designed to bear a load - that's the point of replacing the RC2 D-ring with the FastenR-T1. 

Functionally, there should be no difference between the RC2 stock D-ring and the FastenR-T1, in terms of how you attach the strap or how you connect to a Manfrotto head - I don't understand your issue with the BR -T1 if you're using the Manfrotto plate ring.

Here's a post showing why using the RC2's D-ring is a bad idea, with pics:

http://community.the-digital-picture.com/showthread.php?t=3727&p=39095&viewfull=1#post39095
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

slclick

• 7D
  • I've got a sharp artifact for you!
    • View Profile
Another vote for BR
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2013, 11:14:44 AM »
I have had both the similar Carry Speed and Black Rapid products. I spent about 2 years with each before giving away the CS to a friend, it just didn't have the ease of use, smooth sliding and shoulder staying power I needed. It worked don't get me wrong and it didn't have more failure points than the BR but it just didn't stay put as well with the picking up and putting down motion. The strap stops aren't as nice on the CS either imho.

canon rumors FORUM

Another vote for BR
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2013, 11:14:44 AM »