August 21, 2014, 02:43:15 PM

Author Topic: Sony FF NEX - competition is good. Canon?  (Read 5773 times)

pharp

Sony FF NEX - competition is good. Canon?
« on: September 25, 2013, 08:47:17 AM »
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/nex-ff-is-said-to-be-competitively-priced/

The only probable downside - will it have any lenses available? (I'm assuming this will have interchangable ones). Thats one area where Sony really lags. A good UWA landscape prime and a nice walk around zoom might be a good start.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 09:10:24 AM by pharp »

canon rumors FORUM

Sony FF NEX - competition is good. Canon?
« on: September 25, 2013, 08:47:17 AM »

Dylan777

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.smugmug.com/browse
Re: Sony FF NEX - competition is good. Canon?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 09:12:17 AM »
All I can say is, keep the body and lenses small as RX1. These will be flying off the shelves
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

pharp

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 09:17:09 AM »
All I can say is, keep the body and lenses small as RX1. These will be flying off the shelves

Agreed, and once an EOS to FF NEX adapter becomes available - they may really have a hit.

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 09:27:51 AM »
Wow. Canon activity has gone so dormant we're now discussing Sony rumors!

I think I'll stick with Canon.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

AvTvM

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 09:58:39 AM »

YES, but only IF ... product and price are "really right".
From the sounds of the rumor mill, Sony will come out with at least 2 mirrorless FF system cameras with FE-mount. ["Full-Frame E-Mount].

If the lower-end model should really come without built-in (electronic) viewfinder and costs as much or even more as a Canon 6D / Nikon D600 ... plus cost of an add-on EVF [Sony charges $/€ 495,- for these] I do not expect it to sell well. Definitely not well enough to allow Sony to quickly build a nice lens line-up and system around it.   

Similar to the Sony RX-1 - a nice camera, but way too limited (fixed 35mm lens, no viewfinder, no lens mount!) and grossly overpriced at 3k. That thingie should be 999,- at the max in order to fly off the shelves.

Nevertheless, I really look forward to Sony hopefully bringing mirrorless FF cameras to market soon, forcing Canon to come up with something *dramatically more interesting* than the EOS-M (no viewfinder, APS-C).
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 10:01:52 AM by AvTvM »

pharp

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 10:08:17 AM »
I haven't seen any sales figures on the RX1, but the price is still (too) high so it must be selling up to expectations - right? This might also appeal to Leica users (with mount adapter and software) assuming the backplane is OK - has to be cheaper than an M9.  It'll also be interesting to see if Fuji joins the FF fray. All good.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 11:02:35 AM by pharp »

Dylan777

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 11:49:47 AM »

YES, but only IF ... product and price are "really right".
From the sounds of the rumor mill, Sony will come out with at least 2 mirrorless FF system cameras with FE-mount. ["Full-Frame E-Mount].

If the lower-end model should really come without built-in (electronic) viewfinder and costs as much or even more as a Canon 6D / Nikon D600 ... plus cost of an add-on EVF [Sony charges $/€ 495,- for these] I do not expect it to sell well. Definitely not well enough to allow Sony to quickly build a nice lens line-up and system around it.   

Similar to the Sony RX-1 - a nice camera, but way too limited (fixed 35mm lens, no viewfinder, no lens mount!) and grossly overpriced at 3k. That thingie should be 999,- at the max in order to fly off the shelves.
Nevertheless, I really look forward to Sony hopefully bringing mirrorless FF cameras to market soon, forcing Canon to come up with something *dramatically more interesting* than the EOS-M (no viewfinder, APS-C).

Keep on dreaming AvTvM

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 11:49:47 AM »

AvTvM

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 12:10:44 PM »
Keep on dreaming AvTvM

quite to the opposite: camera makers are really dreaming if they believe, many potential buyers of mirrorless system cameras are wiling to pay MORE for a CHEAPER to produce mirrorless camera compared to an equally capable DSLR. Apparently they have to learn this the hard way. :-)

Dylan777

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2013, 02:49:42 PM »
Keep on dreaming AvTvM

quite to the opposite: camera makers are really dreaming if they believe, many potential buyers of mirrorless system cameras are wiling to pay MORE for a CHEAPER to produce mirrorless camera compared to an equally capable DSLR. Apparently they have to learn this the hard way. :-)

The price tag on RX1 is still $2800 - still selling like a hot cake ;)

pharp

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2013, 04:04:56 PM »
Keep on dreaming AvTvM

The price tag on RX1 is still $2800 - still selling like a hot cake ;)

Don't you mean haute cakes   ::)

tcmatthews

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2013, 07:11:32 PM »
There are three rumored E mount full frame cameras.
  • 1) Entry level possibly without integrated View finder.
  • 2) Nex 9  Slightly larger than current Nex7 and similar button layout.
  • 3) E mount with DSLR shape possibly having an adjustable focus plan to have auto focus with non-Sony lens and in body 5 axis IS

I have a nearly complete set of vintage lens that I have been using with my Nex 6.  If the subject is not moving there are plenty of focusing tools built into Sony cameras to aid focus.  (I find the focus peeking works better on Sony than with ML.)

These cameras in my opinion only make sense with small fairly compact primes.  Is this a threat to canon no they will target different audiences.  But I am likely buying one. 

6D, 60D, Rebel XS, EF-S 15-85,  EF 70-200f4L, EF 100f2.8L,  Tamron 70-300VC,  Tamaron 28-75f2.8,   EF 40f2.8,  EF 50f1.8, EF 85f1.8, EF 24mmf2.8IS  EOS M 22f2, 18-55, EOS M-EF adapter, Nex6,  SEL50f18,  SEL1018,  DN 30f2.8, adpaters and Fd and M42 lens.

AvTvM

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2013, 04:57:42 AM »
These cameras in my opinion only make sense with small fairly compact primes.  Is this a threat to canon no they will target different audiences.  But I am likely buying one.

Mirrorless cameras are not only useful with small prime lenses. 

I am waiting for a fully-capable, ultra-compact FF-sensored mirrorless system camera as my one and only camera. Depending on subject and intention I'd take along a tiny pancake lens between 20mm/2.8 and 75mm/2.8 when I want to go light. And when I need a 70-200/2.8, 400/2.8 or TS-E 17/4 I would use those connected via adapter ring. Yes, the package will not be small and light any longer. But most of the time I´d be using it on a tripod, so it don't matter. And even without tripod, it would still be smaller and lighter than with a fully-capable DSLR.

That's why I am hoping for a FF mirrorless sized like a Sony RX-1 [plus EVF "hump"], as capable as a 5D IV and priced like a Nikon D800. I'd prefer it to be from Canon due to existing investment in L glass and speedlites and  because I like the Canon user-interface. BUT ... if Sony (or Nikon) come out first with such a FF mirrorless camera I will likely switch.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 05:02:38 AM by AvTvM »

weixing

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2013, 07:54:22 AM »
Wow. Canon activity has gone so dormant we're now discussing Sony rumors!

I think I'll stick with Canon.
Hi,
    Me too... With my experience with Sony after sales service, I'll also stick with Canon.

Have a nice day.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2013, 07:54:22 AM »

Bob Howland

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2013, 09:18:15 AM »
Keep on dreaming AvTvM

And a perfectly competitive marketplace, with lots of sellers selling essentially identical goods and/or services, would teach them that rapidly. Unfortunately, we don't have a perfectly competitive marketplace.

Like you, I expect mirrorless FF cameras to largely replace DSLRs. There is, however, the question of delays and when they occur. With a mirrorless camera, there will always be a delay from when the event occurs until it appears on the EVF, a delay that does not occur with a DSLR. However, the DSLR has the delay caused by having to move the mirror, which the mirrorless camera eliminates. So, pick your poison.

Sella174

• 5D Mark III
  • So there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2013, 09:50:17 AM »
Canon is so far behind in technology that it just isn't funny anymore. I've said it before and I'll say it again ... the EOS 100D should have been a mirrorless camera (comparable to the Panasonic G3 and G5), the EOS 70D should have been a mirrorless camera (comparable to the Panasonic G6 and GH3, and the Olympus E-M5 and E-M1), and the EOS 6D Mark II must be a full-frame mirrorless camera. Add to this that Canon is trying to sell the current crop of DSLR's, especially the 70D, to amateur videographers, but has absolutely nothing comparable to Olympus' (and now Sony's) 5-axis IBIS.

As an aside, what current mirrorless systems lack in terms of native lenses, they make good in support for the plethora of old, yet excellent, manual focus lenses.
Happily ignoring the laws of physics and the rules of photography to create better pictures.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2013, 09:50:17 AM »