July 22, 2014, 07:34:38 AM

Author Topic: Wedding-Trailer 5D Mark III mixed H.264 & Magic Lantern RAW  (Read 5111 times)

VanWeddings

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • VanWeddings: Vancouver Wedding Photographer, Vancouver Wedding Videos
Re: Wedding-Trailer 5D Mark III mixed H.264 & Magic Lantern RAW
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2013, 03:26:03 PM »
good stuff. one thing really jumped out at me though.

I know that you are trying to do some shots in 60fps for slow mo and on a canon you are pretty much forced into 720p, but the h.264 720p has just horrible quality, and it looks extra bad alongside raw. the biggest shock was the cut from the nice raw wide shots outside to the super blurry glidecam shot of the entire family standing.

that's my biggest gripe but otherwise a very solid piece!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2013, 03:26:03 PM »

STFNX

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2013, 04:07:04 AM »
good stuff. one thing really jumped out at me though.

I know that you are trying to do some shots in 60fps for slow mo and on a canon you are pretty much forced into 720p, but the h.264 720p has just horrible quality, and it looks extra bad alongside raw. the biggest shock was the cut from the nice raw wide shots outside to the super blurry glidecam shot of the entire family standing.

that's my biggest gripe but otherwise a very solid piece!

Thanks too. Yes, I do know that issue. The 720p-mode is really soft... plus in this scene there was only time for on shot, so focus is not accurate too. I filmed a concert at saturday with RAW-Mode in 1920x1080 25 fps and some slomotions in 1902x818 with 48fps, but CF-Cards are running out of space so quickly...

syder

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2013, 06:55:25 AM »
Hey,  thanks,

yes I actually find a short documentary of the complete day my main interest, the couple gets only the raw material and this trailer )an d some Photos). I don't have too much interest in animated pigeons and menus on a DVD or so  ;D so this get's a bit longer than a typical trailer.

My RAW process is similar to yours, exept I export to JPGs and add them to QT7 and then PRORES. Not really satisfying, but the results are outstanding :)

Good work on the wedding video :-)

Playing with MLRAW, my workflow recently has been

RAW - rawmagic or cinidng - import into Resolve and grade - export from Resolve as Prores or DNxHD - NLE (Avid/Premiere)

It's much better than having to use AEX or similar - pretty close to the BMCC workflow... It's still a lot slower than going straight into an NLE, but if time (and storage) aren't issues it isn't a massive quality of life issue.

You could then go back from Avid into Resolve - on a bigger project (rather than just testing workflows and IQ)  I wouldn't want to grade every shot before cutting (although you could chuck out anything unusable from resolve - the new edit functions in resolve 10 look vaguely interesting).

scottkinfw

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • kasden.smug.com
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2013, 09:17:12 AM »
Excellent video.

Let me say that I don't shoot video at all, and I don't shoot weddings.  I haven't been to one I think since my last and only one,23 years ago, so I thought I would check it out. 

I read the comments and mine are not as sophisticated.

Overall, I like how the video shows the timeline- obviously a long day compressed nicely into 7 min.
In the beginning going to the church, I wished the camera was in portrait, or zoomed out so the top of the church could be seen.
In the church, the couple talking was a bit hard to understand (granted I have hearing problems), so maybe you need to get a wireless mic for them
My favorite part was directly after the wedding of the couple outside.  Really captured the feeling with the looks in the eyes, the gentle kisses, the veil flowing etc.  I liked the part on the bridge.  Interestingly, I didn't know where you were going when you moved into the bride and groom and then through them, but it was really cool.
The only minor thing was that at times, it seemed that transitions were too frequent or too fast.
That is my uneducated criticism, of great work.  Hope it helps, not hurts.

sek
sek
Cameras: 5D III, 5D II, 50D Lenses:  24-70 208 II, 24-105 f4L, 70-200 f4L IS, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, EF 300 f4L IS, EF 400 5.6L, 600EX-RT, ST-E3-RT

lucuias

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • Ronnie Chan's Photography
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2014, 10:16:20 PM »
This is simply jaw dropping impressive!!!!!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2014, 10:16:20 PM »