August 23, 2014, 03:51:20 PM

Author Topic: good shoulder bag?  (Read 4444 times)

Lichtgestalt

good shoulder bag?
« on: October 03, 2013, 04:48:03 AM »
i need a shoulder bag, as small as possible but with some protection against accidental bumps.
small so it´s comfortable to carry all day. no need to advice for a backpack.... i have a few. :)

it needs to carry a 5D Mk3 with BG and 70-200mm f4 IS, another lens like the 17-40mm and a flash or two.

i have a tamrac that is nice but the 5D MK3 with BG doesn´t fit that well.

your recommendation?

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: good shoulder bag?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 05:55:51 AM »
I use the Lowepro Messenger if I'm bringing along a flash and some other stuff. I like it because it isn't as bulky as many others and you can fit a lot of stuff, comes in different sizes also.
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

Lichtgestalt

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 06:19:18 AM »
I use the Lowepro Messenger if I'm bringing along a flash and some other stuff. I like it because it isn't as bulky as many others and you can fit a lot of stuff, comes in different sizes also.

the messenger i know seems to be a bit small to fit a 5D MK3 with BG... not?
my main concerne is the attached BG. i don´t want to squash it in so thight or i could just use my tamrac.

which messenger version do you mean?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 06:24:51 AM by Lichtgestalt »

Viggo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 06:38:37 AM »

my main concerne is the attached BG. i don´t want to squash it in so thight or i could just use my tamrac.

Ah,you want for the camera also, hm, yeah then no... I always carry the camera with a Black Rapid strap, and keep everything else in the messenger, I never pack away my camera.
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

old-pr-pix

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 08:38:52 AM »
I've been happy with the Timbuk2 bags.  I have the medium size "Snoop Camera Bag" which easily holds 60D w/BG and mounted 24-105L, 100-400L, 100L macro, 50 & 85 primes, small flash plus usual other stuff (cards, filters, charger sometimes).  I also have a regular Timbuk2 messenger bag in small size to which I added the "Snoop Insert."  Small bag holds 60D w/BG and mounted 15-85 zoom, 430 EXII flash, 70-300 zoom(non-L version), plus cards, etc.

Obviously the medium is the outdoor, nature bag.  The small is more indoor oriented; but things get rearranged often as needed.  The small is clearly easier to carry all day.  I can't say if the 5DIII w/grip is enough taller than gripped 60D to be an issue.  Messenger bag with carry handle plus the shoulder strap is best.

There is an extra small Timbuk2 version available; but I already had a Mountainsmith Aurora II AT to hold the OMD-EM5. 
Lots of Canon stuff -- FD, EF, EF-L, EF-S.  Olympus stuff too

ddl

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 08:43:39 AM »
For a shoulder bag I've used the ThinkTank Speed Racer V2 (smaller versions are Speed Demon/Speed Freak). It's padded (but bigger and squarer than a messenger bag) but what I really like about these bags is that they come with a padded waist strap so if you want to lug a lot of gear then you can fold out the waist strap (normally tucked into pockets) and put it on to take most of the load off of your shoulder strap (so it doesn't dig in). The waist strap also stabilizes the bag when walking, climibing, etc. so you don't have to worry about it sliding off of your shoulder and falling to the ground. They also come with a rain cover tucked in as well.

For a seven day trip in Southern California (including walking around theme parks for days with the kids)  I carried a 5D3 with 24-70 F/2.8L mounted (sometimes in the bag while getting around outside the park), 16-35 F/2.8 II, 24 mm F/1.4 II, 70-200 F/2.8 OS, 1.4x converter and a 7D body inside the bag. On the pouches outside I had a 600EX-RT plus spare cards, batteries and lens hoods.  Loaded up it was a bit over 20 pounds but I survived the trip.

wsheldon

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • sheldon-photo
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 08:48:20 AM »

Ah,you want for the camera also, hm, yeah then no... I always carry the camera with a Black Rapid strap, and keep everything else in the messenger, I never pack away my camera.

The LowePro Pro Messenger 180AW should work for that setup if you do want to pack the camera with 70-200 attached. I have the 160AW and it might be a bit short, but the 180AW adds a couple of inches in height without adding depth/width. It's a very comfortable travel/event bag for me. Very similar (rip-off?) to the the ThinkTank Retrospective, but with better padding and a nice magnetic closure if you fold up the long Velcro flap. It's also very discrete like the Retrospective for street shooting/travel, which I really like. Not cheap, though.
Canon 6D & 50D, nice set of lenses

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 09:42:49 AM »
For a shoulder bag I've used the ThinkTank Speed Racer V2 (smaller versions are Speed Demon/Speed Freak). It's padded (but bigger and squarer than a messenger bag) but what I really like about these bags is that they come with a padded waist strap so if you want to lug a lot of gear then you can fold out the waist strap (normally tucked into pockets) and put it on to take most of the load off of your shoulder strap (so it doesn't dig in). The waist strap also stabilizes the bag when walking, climibing, etc. so you don't have to worry about it sliding off of your shoulder and falling to the ground. They also come with a rain cover tucked in as well.

For a seven day trip in Southern California (including walking around theme parks for days with the kids)  I carried a 5D3 with 24-70 F/2.8L mounted (sometimes in the bag while getting around outside the park), 16-35 F/2.8 II, 24 mm F/1.4 II, 70-200 F/2.8 OS, 1.4x converter and a 7D body inside the bag. On the pouches outside I had a 600EX-RT plus spare cards, batteries and lens hoods.  Loaded up it was a bit over 20 pounds but I survived the trip.

At over 20 lbs-ouch!!  After a few hours I would be hurting.   For that weight gear I generally use a backpack, but that is not very convenient.   Perhaps a shoulder bag with a waist band to putthe weight on my hips?   Suggestions??

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 10:22:01 AM »
I'm interested in this thread as well.

I need a smaller bag for a similar setup: my 7D (plus Grip with 15-85mm mounted) and the 70-300 L. More and more and I'm finding this two-lens kit to be the perfect travel setup. I was looking at the Think Tank messenger style bag or the Domke Little Bit Smaller bag, but now I see that the Lowepro 160 is on sale until December...hmm...
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2013, 10:42:47 AM »
I have the LowePro Pro Messenger 200AW and while it's more challenging to use it with the 70-200 f/2.8 attached (you have to reconfigure it a bit), it holds my 5DII and III, 16-35, 24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8, and 580EX and has a really comfortable shoulder strap.  The 180AW might make more sense if you want the 70-200 + attached body or don't need as much room, but this line of bags are great.  The fabric & build quality, magnetic/velcro lid, and incognito design are excellent.
EOS 1D X, 5DIII, M + EF 24 f/1.4II, 50 f/1.2, 85 f/1.2II, 300 f/2.8 IS II || 16-35 f/4 IS, 24-70 f/2.8II, 70-200 f/2.8II || TS-E 17 f/4, 24 f/3.5II || M 22 f/2, 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS || 1.4x III, 2x III

JPAZ

• 6D
  • If only I knew what I was doing.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2013, 10:51:54 AM »
I have and had a few from all the usual suspects.  By far, the most comfortable and convenient is the ThinkTank Retrospective series.  This might be the most comfortable shoulder strap of any.  I carried a 5diii, 24-105, 17-40, 40mm Pancake, Cards, 4 batteries, a real paper notebook, a Kindle and odds and ends in a Retrospective 7 and could have placed my 70-200 in the remaining open "slot" if I wanted.  I carried this for almost a month in Central Asia in the heat and it worked really well for me.

JP
5d Mkiii; Eos-M; too many lenses; 430 EXii and a whole lot of stuff

wsheldon

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • sheldon-photo
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2013, 10:59:01 AM »
I have and had a few from all the usual suspects.  By far, the most comfortable and convenient is the ThinkTank Retrospective series.  This might be the most comfortable shoulder strap of any.  I carried a 5diii, 24-105, 17-40, 40mm Pancake, Cards, 4 batteries, a real paper notebook, a Kindle and odds and ends in a Retrospective 7 and could have placed my 70-200 in the remaining open "slot" if I wanted.  I carried this for almost a month in Central Asia in the heat and it worked really well for me.

JP

I almost went that way, but I was concerned about user complaints in reviews regarding insufficient padding. In your experience how does it hold up to bumps and short drops? If I need a slightly bigger bag I may add an RS 20 in the future, because the strap on the LowePro is pertty chunky for my tastes, but still pretty comfortable.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 11:00:45 AM by wsheldon »
Canon 6D & 50D, nice set of lenses

Ristobkk

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2013, 11:09:59 AM »
After trying many options, im now using NorthFace messenger bag in size M. Its not padded but i have ThinkTank soft lenscase for 70-200 which can use for shorter lenses when 70-200 in in camera. Bag is very lightweight and water/rain resistant.
Risto
5DIII | 6D | G1X II | 16-35 f2.8L II | 24-70 f2.8L II | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L II | Tamron 150-600 | 2.0x converter III | 3 x 600EX-RT | ST-E3-RT | GP-E2

chilledXpress

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2013, 11:48:18 AM »
I own a shite load of bags; Lowepro, Crumpler, Thinktank, Hadley, and many more... it's been a constant battle to find the perfect bag/pack. I do love Lowepro and Thinktank the best though. Thinktank is probably my all time favorites these days.

Think Tank Retrospective 7 or 10... great shoulder pads! I own the 5 and 7, doubt you could get all that in the 5 but the 7 is doable and iPad friendly. In the 5; I can get a 5D3 with 24-70II, 135L, and a 15mm Siggy. The 7; I can get a 1DX with a 24-70 II, 70-200 II and 50L or the 15mm.

I will say though, both bags loaded will wear on your shoulder after a short period of time. That's a lot of weight dangling off one shoulder.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 11:57:25 AM by chilledXpress »

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2013, 12:34:30 PM »
I own a shite load of bags; Lowepro, Crumpler, Thinktank, Hadley, and many more... it's been a constant battle to find the perfect bag/pack...

Reminded me that I'm still looking for the "Tardis" bag – bigger on the inside than on the outside.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com