August 22, 2014, 11:41:11 PM

Author Topic: I don't understand  (Read 8628 times)

TAF

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: I don't understand
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2013, 09:25:45 PM »
and my p/s even has a dedicated program mode for taking cat pictures, a necessary feature for facebook :)

Humm...that sounds like something that I would find quite useful - what's the model number?

I've noticed that the facial recognition focus mode in my EOS-M won't 'do cats'.

Perhaps Magic Lantern will offer a version that turns the C3 position on my 5D3's main dial into just such a function...it should be popular.

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2013, 09:44:45 PM »
I'd like a high MPix 1 series body for landscape and portrait but you can prise my 1DX from my cold dead hands for what I use it for, 18 MPix is enough, and I don't want to deal with anything over 20 megapixels when I'm shooting over 1000 images a night and have to pp them next day.

Completely agree.

There is in my mind a definite need for Canon to produce a high MP Camera, Medium Format but I hope in a 1D Body. Would they survive as a Company if they continue with the current Sensor Line ?? I don't think so, Companies like Canon need to continue to innovate to survive in the Market, there are loads of examples where companies that stagnate innovation tend to Die, Nokia & Black berry spring to mind, Apple now changing their own long held view on producing only for the Market what Apple feel the Market needs, Samsung have clearly provided the impetus for Apple to rethink that view, and they (Apple) have reacted to what the Market wants (Not needs, wants).

I believe Canon were wrong footed when Nikon brought to Market the D800 @ 36MP, I'm not into arguing one Camera company versus another here, only that Nikon jumped a step up on it's competitors with the D800, exactly the way Canon did when they brought to Market the 5DMK II and the Higher MP Sensor with Video ability. This is all a part of the Business of Innovation and a Companies ability to look forward to what the Market will buy, Steve Jobs being in my mind the supreme forward thinker in this area.

Do we need High MP Cameras, not really.

Would I buy one if Canon released one, in a New York second, because I would like a MF Camera, in a 1D Body, that takes the Lenses I currently use, shoots at 6 or 7 fps, and gives me a huge file that I can work on whenI shoot Landscape, Portraits etc. I would buy a Phase One, but I just don't want to get into another system, tried that with the D800, didn't like the experience, tried it with Leica M9, wasn't keen on that either.

Would I get rid of my 1Dx, only when Canon develops a similar frame rate Camera, I actually need the 12fps in my wildlife Imaging, I don't really mind if it's 18MP or 1800 MP, as long as it's 12fps or better and as long as Sandisc continue to develop CF Cards etc with large enough capacity & with fast enough transfer speed to handle the Larger size Files, and as long as Apple keep producing better Computers to allow me to Post Process as I do now.

Look forward to a Canon 1D with +45MP and 7FPS.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2013, 10:13:44 PM »
and my p/s even has a dedicated program mode for taking cat pictures, a necessary feature for facebook :)

Humm...that sounds like something that I would find quite useful - what's the model number?

I've noticed that the facial recognition focus mode in my EOS-M won't 'do cats'.

Perhaps Magic Lantern will offer a version that turns the C3 position on my 5D3's main dial into just such a function...it should be popular.
It is an Olympus TG-830. I got it for use in the kayak and for in the rain. The camera is waterproof to about 40 feet and works underwater.... Makes it kind of hard to accidentally destroy... And it really does have a cat mode... I am serious.... I am not kidding! The picture is of the camera display in the mode selection menu...
The best camera is the one in your hands

surapon

• 80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2013, 08:59:48 AM »
I don't understand. It's a chronic condition -- and not always intolerable.

Surapon,
Does your Canon engineer friend ever give you any more "secret information" that you can share with your other friends here at CR ;D:-X P.S., I always enjoy reading your posts, and admire your politeness, which is something I could improve on myself.

PS, sorry distant.star and Surapon, I quoted the wrong post,  :-[ :-[though I like yours also distant.star

Dear Sir, my friend " ME".
Sorry, He , my Japanese friend never tell me his Company secret, Ha, Ha, Ha---My dear Japanese friend might do " Harakiri" by use the long / sharp knife stab in to his gut and kill him self first before open the company secret ---ha, ha, ha --  Well , YES, Before I buy new Canon Camera bodies or Canon Lens, I call him and ask him " is this time that I should but---So & So ?"-----And He might say Yes, or Say = Just wait another 4 more months. , And I just wait  another 4 more months. Yes, in 1974, We both went to study English  in LSU for 1 semester. and After that I went to NCSU, in Raleigh to study M. ARCH, And He went to NY, to study Engineer.
Nice to talk to you, Sir.
Have a great week end.
Surapon
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 11:04:38 AM by surapon »

surapon

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2013, 09:14:40 AM »
Yes, I also fail to understand... why we need 40+ MP cameras.  Sigh...

Can someone please enlighten me?  All I see is a future with a 40+ MP camera where I can only fit a small number of large megabyte RAW image files on an expensive CF card that takes longer to write.  Then I have to deal with my expensive lenses not resolving as well on the higher res sensor.  I also have to worry that the sensor itself will or will not render a high quality image with such a high pixel density.  There are other issues but in general, unless I am printing a billboard, I fail to see what super high megapixels really gains me.

FWIW, I was ecstatic when I learned that the 5D3 was NOT going to have a high megapixel sensor.

What I care about is greater exposure abilities and IQ from a sensor, not higher megapixels.  Better low light, dynamic range, etc.  Greater MP seems to always make obtaining better quality that much harder.

Dear Sir, Mr. RustyTheGeek.
Try to answer your great question " why we need 40+ MP cameras "---And I am not the REAL PRO/ Professional Photographer,  BUT, I am American architect---Yes, We do the presentation, when we have ground breaking ceremony, and try to print the posters of the Building site + the Proposed Building how it look when we finish the project. Yes that 42 inches X  65 Inches Poster , that wide as my  8 years old ,42 Inches HP. Designjet 800  Plotter that can print. No I still do not have enough Pixel 21.5 of my old Canon 5D MK II for looking good  poster, at the 5-8 feet away from the photo/ poster.
Yes, I start to think,   How about the Bill board on the Street, That Huge size bill board---How can they  take the photos to do that great looking bill board ?---Do they/ the Graphic designers want bigger MP. Cameras  to shoot that Photos ??.
Yes, May be the PRO/ our friends in this great CR. can help us to answer your great questions.
Have a great weekend.
Surapon

Pi

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Math and Photography
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2013, 10:12:22 AM »
That's a simplistic statement.
No more so than the concept:

megapixels => camera/image/photo quality
Fighting simplistic statements with simplistic statements is a good way to dumb down a discussion and make this forum much less interesting.

Actually, it is a good way to expose the simplicity in the first place.

In this case however, there is nothing simplistic. Higher mp sensors do offer more resolution, and they have their uses.

TAF

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2013, 11:21:32 AM »

It is an Olympus TG-830. I got it for use in the kayak and for in the rain. The camera is waterproof to about 40 feet and works underwater.... Makes it kind of hard to accidentally destroy... And it really does have a cat mode... I am serious.... I am not kidding! The picture is of the camera display in the mode selection menu...

Wow, a dog mode as well...and waterproof, shock resistant, and affordable.

I think I "need" one for model aircraft use.

I hope Canon does a firmware update to compete.

Thank you very much!

ME

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2013, 02:24:29 PM »
I don't understand. It's a chronic condition -- and not always intolerable.

Surapon,
Does your Canon engineer friend ever give you any more "secret information" that you can share with your other friends here at CR ;D:-X P.S., I always enjoy reading your posts, and admire your politeness, which is something I could improve on myself.

PS, sorry distant.star and Surapon, I quoted the wrong post,  :-[ :-[though I like yours also distant.star

Dear Sir, my friend " ME".
Sorry, He , my Japanese friend never tell me his Company secret, Ha, Ha, Ha---My dear Japanese friend might do " Harakiri" by use the long / sharp knife stab in to his gut and kill him self first before open the company secret ---ha, ha, ha --  Well , YES, Before I buy new Canon Camera bodies or Canon Lens, I call him and ask him " is this time that I should but---So & So ?"-----And He might say Yes, or Say = Just wait another 4 more months. , And I just wait  another 4 more months. Yes, in 1974, We both went to study English  in LSU for 1 semester. and After that I went to NCSU, in Raleigh to study M. ARCH, And He went to NY, to study Engineer.
Nice to talk to you, Sir.
Have a great week end.
Surapon

Surapon,
I definitely would not want your friend to be placed under that kind of obligation. Besides, he might be designing the next great lens or camera! (which one Surapon?). Just kidding. I know,  :-X :-X :-X. I will, however, be scrutinizing your posts more carefully, trying to read between the lines ;) :D
Hope you are enjoying your weekend also. I am enjoying this wonderful weather we are having a little south of you in South Carolina.
Everett
5DII,50D,Canon|Sigma|Zeiss|Samyang|LENSES
http://www.flickr.com/photos/iveseenthelight/

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2013, 02:54:15 PM »

Yes, I start to think,   How about the Bill board on the Street, That Huge size bill board---How can they  take the photos to do that great looking bill board ?---Do they/ the Graphic designers want bigger MP. Cameras  to shoot that Photos ??.
Yes, May be the PRO/ our friends in this great CR. can help us to answer your great questions.
Have a great weekend.
Surapon

Those large high street Bill Board posters are never printed at high resolution, and there's more reasons to that than just huge file sizes. There been quite a lot of research done in viewing distance and the best resolution in dpi, and for something that is intended for best viewing from some distance, say fifty feet, you are down to very low resolution; 40 ppi would be high.

With regard to normal pictures, a image rarely becomes better by sticking your nose up against it, unless it is a technical recording of something. Resolution needs to be suited to the picture size and viewing distance; enter the highly versatile 20 mp FF.

The only real justification I can see for much higher mp in the FF format is cropping options. Other than that the most benefit will be to those who like to look at their images at 100% on their computer.

surapon

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2013, 05:17:53 PM »

Have a great weekend.
Surapon

Those large high street Bill Board posters are never printed at high resolution, and there's more reasons to that than just huge file sizes. There been quite a lot of research done in viewing distance and the best resolution in dpi, and for something that is intended for best viewing from some distance, say fifty feet, you are down to very low resolution; 40 ppi would be high.

With regard to normal pictures, a image rarely becomes better by sticking your nose up against it, unless it is a technical recording of something. Resolution needs to be suited to the picture size and viewing distance; enter the highly versatile 20 mp FF.

The only real justification I can see for much higher mp in the FF format is cropping options. Other than that the most benefit will be to those who like to look at their images at 100% on their computer.

Thanks you, Sir, Dear Teacher Mr. Sporgon.
 Thanks for your great infor----Yes, We never get to close to see the Bill Board, And We are Fast Driver too---That why we never observe the  Details of the photos on the Bill Board. and I just forget this logic , until you point out.
Thanks again, Sir.
Surapon

AcutancePhotography

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2013, 11:27:40 AM »
I believe that for a specific sensor size, there will be an optimum MP range that works for the type of photograph you take. There will be a point of diminishing returns for image quality (how ever that is defined) and cost (how ever that is defined).  My opinion?  For a full frame 35mm type sensor, it is in the 20-30mp range.

Is it possible to make a 50mp 35mm type sensor?  Sure.  Canon has a 100mp sensor on the shelf.  But is there a measurable benefit that is still marketable?  Probably not. Would I need/desire a 50-100mp sensor?  Not with the current lens technology.

I think the DSLR MP race is coming to an end.  20-30mp is good enough for a large (almost all?) percentage of the market.  There will always be special circumstances and those photographers will buy specialized cameras.  But for most air-breathing photographers, 20-30 seems the higher end of optimization.  Most need less MP, but lets be honest, how many of us really only buy the camera we "need"?

I hope that soon, the camera companies will recognize that the MP race is over and start investing their techno-bucks into improving the other aspects of sensor, camera, and lens development.

MP has some level of importance, but it is not the only aspect of sensor/camera development that is important.
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light

Halfrack

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2013, 12:13:33 PM »

Am I right?  Did I correctly understand your explanation?

Thanks again for bringing light to an otherwise lost thread.

Pretty much - I'm new to medium format and the image size associated, but it's still a camera.  I tilted the question slightly as the discussion was more of 'why do I need 40mp in a 35mm body' more so than the generic 'why do I need 40mp'.  Nikon is making a killing on those who chase megapixels, but there are only so many of them, and they'll switch systems just for the idea that they're 1% better images. 

If someone wanted to get into medium format now, I'd say go the Phase One route, and any of the P backs would be a great starting point.  I am attempting to get a few side by side shots done in the next few weeks, so I should have more info to post.
"Me owning a lens shop is kind of like having an alcoholic bar tender." - Roger Cicala

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2013, 12:43:17 PM »
I'm waiting for the 75mp camera from Canon, everything else is just for amateurs. Once I get that, I can FINALLY take the special shots that are locked away in my mind that none of my current sad gear can achieve. Oh I can't wait for that day.

This could solve all your problems now!
http://connect.dpreview.com/post/5234892048/nokia-lumia-1020-camera-review

golubiewac1

• SX50 HS
  • front ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2013, 01:44:59 PM »
I don't understand how those clamoring for super high MP will, in practical photographic operation, deal with the ultra high sensitivity to motion blur, paper thin DOF, and other issues that prevent the high MP resolution potential from being realized in a real photograph.  Not to mention lens resolution issues.  I understand the cropping argument (digital zoom) but the problems remain.

In my own case, I have found that the 18 MP of the 7D can produce amazingly sharp 13 x 19 inch prints (the largest my printer supports) and I have no interest in making prints larger than that.  I my experience, sensor resolution is the last reason an image might be unsharp.

If one requires more resolution, one should consider large format.  I hear it is possible to order 20 x 24 inch sheet film.

dickgrafixstop

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2013, 12:35:01 PM »
surapon posted
Yes that 42 inches X  65 Inches Poster , that wide as my  8 years old ,42 Inches HP. Designjet 800  Plotter that can print. No I still do not have enough Pixel 21.5 of my old Canon 5D MK II for looking good  poster, at the 5-8 feet away from the photo/ poster.

You need to look hard at Photoshop with the Genuine Fractals plug-in.  We routinely print 60X120 posters that
look fine from four feet away.  Starting with a 12 or 18mpix image and using the plug in is plenty!  Take a look
at the postershop rip for your machine and you'll find "it ain't the camera"!